Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month contract for Smart Phone

Options
  • 29-12-2010 5:05pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do any carrier offer a 12 month contract for a Smart Phone? My preference would be for a HTC Desire or Desire HD.

I don't mind paying a little extra for the handset as I know they are heavily subsidised by the network, but I don't want to be tied into an 18 month contract with any carrier.

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just buy the phone outright, and then you aren't locked into any contract. Also your phone won't have lousy "branding" software on it that stops you from getting updates etc. Vodafone and 3 are the worst for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Do any carrier offer a 12 month contract for a Smart Phone? My preference would be for a HTC Desire or Desire HD.

I don't mind paying a little extra for the handset as I know they are heavily subsidised by the network, but I don't want to be tied into an 18 month contract with any carrier.

Tox

Yes, Meteor. Best deal out there IMHO, I'm sorry I switched to 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I think Meteor do 12 month contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yes, Meteor. Best deal out there IMHO, I'm sorry I switched to 3.

Why don't you like 3? I think 3 are the best out there at the moment :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

yeah but paying €500+ for a phone is a lot of money up front and if I can get a 12 month contract then that would suit me better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

angel01 wrote: »
    Why don't you like 3? I think 3 are the best out there at the moment :)

18 month contract, ****e data signal (here in East Cork), dropped calls, poor communication (call centres).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

I think it's just Meteor.

But then you have to deal with their billing 'irregularities'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You could get the Optimus one on mini flex with the data add on, that would only be a 12mt and you'd be due an upgrade after 10mts, some stores are also throwing in a ipod shuffle if they've any left.
    It's the best smartphone before you get into 18mt contracts. It's android 2.2 out of the box and comes with the window car mount to use it as a sat nav.

Meteors billing mistakes are becoming quite famous here on boards, i'd avoid them until they get their act and their network together.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

I know O2 do (or did) 12 month contracts with the iPhone, not too sure about others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Buy a San Francisco from Orange Prepay in the North for £110, unlock it for free after and use wherever - savage android phone and dirt cheap too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Most of 3's smart phones are available on 12 month contracts

Advertisement