Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with external hard drive

• 29-12-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a Seagate Freeagent GoFlex 250GB external drive, around 4 months old, which was working fine up until 3 days ago. Basically the problem is that whenever I try to access any of the folders on the drive I get the message "F:/(folder name) is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". The drive is also now very slow to be recognised by my computer and the menu that normally pops up when I connect a usb device does not appear. When I look in My Computer, I can see the drive and that there is 150GB of space used already, but when I go into the folders I get the message mentioned above and also when I check folder properties, it says size on disc 0, and it contains 0 files. I've tried restarting, using a different usb wire and am now going to try Pandora Recovery software just to see if I can get anything off the drive. Can anyone offer any advice on how to solve this problem? Is there something simple that I am over-looking?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Have you tried the drive on another computer?

You could try checking the drive for errors, right click on the drive in my computer - select the "Tools" tab and then try error checking (This can take quite a while to run, so once it has started do not stop it until it's complete).

Edit: You should also probably plug it into a different usb port to see if the port is the problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

Hi Joannaman ,

Do you have another Pc/Laptop you could connect it to, see does the same thing happen ?

I had something kinda similar happen to me where a pc couldn't read an internal hard drive . I did a quick format of the drive and used a program called Getdataback to get the info back off the disk . Took a while but got all the info back which was the main thing, couldn't guarantee it would work in your case but might be worth a shot if it comes to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

Thanks for replies. I had tried plugging it into another computer with the same results. It's gotten worse now as well because when I try plugging it into my own laptop now it just totally freezes the comp and I can't access the drive to do any file recovery or chkdsk on it. Help!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You could open the case,buy a sata caddy 20euro,put the hardrive inside,put tape on the pcb, circuit board underneath.to protect it from short circuits.
    SEE Here http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk or get this http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ it works off a live cd ,boots from the cd.it has testdisk on it.
    THE hardrive may be ok,the logic board in the unit case may be not working properly.
    if the data on the hardrive is not worth much you could try formatting the drive in ntfs format.
    heres a free recovery program,http://pcinspector.de/

Advertisement