Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Skies starting to clear here in Waterford so fingers crossed we will get to see Discovery and Station this evening Station will pass from 19:21 - 1926.
    Still no times for Discovery but is should be much the same.
    viewfinder.exe?T=0&FOV=60&RA=60.9056602994566&Dec=-9.94131313022885&RAInc=60&DecInc=10&TimeInc=15&SatName=ISS&Width=400&Height=400&STime=40609.8080965157&Lat=52.1113&Lng=-7.0513&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++11066%2E29736271++%2E00034595++00000%2D0++25862%2D3+0++9588&Line2=2+25544+051%2E6470+323%2E5125+0006418+039%2E7460+059%2E6021+15%2E72330151704860

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The shuttle has undocked at 07:00 EST. Thats noon GMT our time right? Will the shuttle have moved far from the ISS by the time it passes this evening? It says on the spaceflight website that they are passing at the same time.
    My camera is at the ready!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

shedweller wrote: »
    The shuttle has undocked at 07:00 EST. Thats noon GMT our time right? Will the shuttle have moved far from the ISS by the time it passes this evening? It says on the spaceflight website that they are passing at the same time.
    My camera is at the ready!
    Should only be maybe 30 secs apart I think but still waiying to set some times to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Looking forward to this later, be in a night course but i think i will be expecting an important phone call at 19:21 :D

Hope the clouds part in time:(

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    Hope the clouds part in time:(

Don't have that worry here at the moment but could easily change in a matter of hours, a brief glimpse of the two is not much to ask is it !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lovely clear sky here,hope to catch what will most likely be my final view of Discovery in flight as i'm working lates for the rest of the week. I think a little salute to the veteran orbiter is in order.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lovely clear sky here,hope to catch what will most likely be my final view of Discovery in flight as i'm working lates for the rest of the week. I think a little salute to the veteran orbiter is in order.:)
    You might have to give her one for me:D lots of cloud here but hoping for a break:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

I am with You Derra a brief glimpse is not too much to ask.
    I have seen the Orbiter with tank trailing after launch at least once.......
    possibly twice,was not sure first time.

there were minor changes to times due to the shuttle's extra two days so i personally do not trust the sites to give accurate readings because of that and Discovery's two seperation burns so far today.

anybody care to hazard a guess at magnitude of sightings?
    also although always from west to east approach it can be very various degree's of westerly.
    anybody hazard a guess at compass reading direction.?

thanks.

You might have to give her one for me:D lots of cloud here but hoping for a break:eek:

It is beautiful here all day Beeker,fingers crossed for you........... but to be truthful even more crossed for myself!:)

• Advertisement

clln wrote: »
    I am with You Derra a brief glimpse is not too much to ask.
    I have seen the Orbiter with tank trailing after launch at least once.......
    possibly twice,was not sure first time.

there were minor changes to times due to the shuttle's extra two days so i personally do not trust the sites to give accurate readings because of that and Discovery's two seperation burns so far today.

anybody care to hazard a guess at magnitude of sightings?
    also although always from west to east approach it can be very various degree's of westerly.
    anybody hazard a guess at compass reading direction.?

thanks.
    Shuttle is in the same orbit as the ISS and not very far away at the moment so it should be visible on the same track in the sky. Rising from the west 281 degrees magnetic at 19:21 and entering the Earths shadow at 19:26 on a bearing of 150 degrees magnetic to the south south east:)

Not sure if the Station or Discovery will appear first. can find no information on that:(
    viewfinder.exe?T=0&FOV=60&RA=60.9056602994566&Dec=-9.94131313022885&RAInc=60&DecInc=10&TimeInc=15&SatName=ISS&Width=400&Height=400&STime=40609.8080965157&Lat=52.1113&Lng=-7.0513&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++11066%2E29736271++%2E00034595++00000%2D0++25862%2D3+0++9588&Line2=2+25544+051%2E6470+323%2E5125+0006418+039%2E7460+059%2E6021+15%2E72330151704860

I think the Orbiter should be ahead of the ISS. After her fly around and sep burns she's almost slingshotted(is that a word?) in front of the ISS.

I think the Orbiter should be ahead of the ISS. After her fly around and sep burns she's almost slingshotted(is that a word?) in front of the ISS.
    I think your right there, that would make sense ok.:)

I think your right there, that would make sense ok.:)

Too many ''thinks'' lads, i need to know :D
    Hope i get internet access before 19:21 and see updated information on this.
    So be grateful if one of yas find out for sure which will be first.
    Thanks.

Thanks for that Beeker, hopefully ISS first with a clear sky a pass is impossible to miss even if the compass was never invented.

ISS so big now the spacewalkers look like ants on a mountain!:)

I KNOW the Orbiter will be ahead of the ISS. After her fly around and sep burns she's almost slingshotted(is that a word?) in front of the ISS.

:p:p

derra wrote: »
    Too many ''thinks'' lads, i need to know :D
    Hope i get internet access before 19:21 and see updated information on this.
    So be grateful if one of yas find out for sure which will be first.
    Thanks.
    Wish I knew but all the sites are still only giving the ISS and not the Shuttle but the tracking maps show they are still very close. During the pass they will both be on the same track but the station will be brighter so no mistaking the two.

Wish I knew but all the sites are still only giving the ISS and not the Shuttle but the tracking maps show they are still very close. During the pass they will both be on the same track but the station will be brighter so no mistaking the two.

I am 100% sure(:p) that the Shuttle will be slightly ahead and a fraction lower than the ISS.

hmmmm, where were they above the Globe at seperation?
    would be a guide to what direction shuttle headed away from ISS would'nt it?:confused:

hmmmm, where were they above the Globe at seperation?
    would be a guide to what direction shuttle headed away from ISS would'nt it?:confused:
    The shuttle had to head in the direction of travel so both are still on the same track.

• Advertisement

Off of basic observation,when the Orbiter completed it's flyaround it ended up slightly ahead and obviously lower than the ISS heading east over North Africa and southern Europe. If it keeps that track it'll be Orbiter ahead of ISS later.;)

on the same track.

more than can be said about the genious's here!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

more than can be said about the genious's here!:D

Lol. Whats an ISS?:D

Lol. Whats an ISS?:D

a bit like a p ISS, great relief when ya see it pass!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=37371 Discovery.

http://www.n2yo.com/passes/?s=25544 ISS.

Not going to be much difference between them, but I m sure Beeker or others in the know will be able to enlighten us and keep us informed over the next 48 hours.
    Fingers crossed for clear skies for us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You would imagine the ISS would be a brighter magnitude than the shuttle, but maybe not enough to be clearly able to see which is which.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You would imagine the ISS would be a brighter magnitude than the shuttle, but maybe not enough to be clearly able to see which is which.
    I would be surprised if the ISS was not brighter. It is far bigger and any other time I have seen both pass it was clearly brighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would be surprised if the ISS was not brighter. It is far bigger and any other time I have seen both pass it was clearly brighter.

Yes so it probably will be possible to tell them apart so.

• Advertisement

Sky clearing here nicely... almost CAVOK:)

Advertisement