Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Still think it no harm to subtract three minutes from the time you planned to head out in hope of seeing Discovery since it undocked at 12 PM today,
    time had been planned for 12.03 before the extra two docked days
    i know that should not affect ISS sighting times at all, but the sites might not have updated properly.

Discovery boosted the ISS orbit by almost a mile higher as well during the mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

clln wrote: »
    Discovery boosted the ISS orbit by almost a mile higher as well during the mission.

They will probably increase the orbit by a few miles i think. It reduces the slight drag on it from the faint atmosphere so it uses less fuel to periodically boost its orbit height as it decays a little from the drag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Should be a great pass, not many chances left to see the station and the Shuttle together.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

we able to see it at 7.23?

You would want to be out at 19:19 maybe, as it rises then, and gives you time to find it as it goes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

clouds in mayo sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

very cloudy in Kerry - hopefully there'll be a break in the clouds in exactly 12 mins...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

encore1 wrote: »
    very cloudy in Kerry - hopefully there'll be a break in the clouds in exactly 12 mins...;)

Beautifully clear skies here in Sth Dublin :D:D

bonzer79 wrote: »
    Beautifully clear skies here in Sth Dublin :D:D

fek off...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Waterford clear now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

robbie7730 wrote: »
    They will probably increase the orbit by a few miles i think. It reduces the slight drag on it from the faint atmosphere so it uses less fuel to periodically boost its orbit height as it decays a little from the drag.

Hi Robbie the ATV will boost the ISS by 30KM's before it departs,its new higher orbit will be permanent albeit with the need for minor boosts in the future.

ISS orbit had been minimised to allow shuttle's carry their maximum payload weight.

me heading out now in hope more than certainty of seeing Discovery.
    filthy light pollution.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Wow :eek: stunning

The shuttle was leading alright, clearly the ISS was brighter behind it.

YEAH!!!! What an amazing time to be alive!!!:D:D:D

Wow that was amazing, even got my partner up from the chelsea match to take a look. Really clear night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Just watched it there now. Very clear skys in offaly for once. Amazing. Wil we get to see it again tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Now that was cool....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Now that was pretty surreal, the best since seeing the shuttle and fuel tank.
    Excellent. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The shuttle was leading alright, clearly the ISS was brighter behind it.

That was my first time to see the shuttle as well as the ISS, pretty amazing image.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

what a wonderful sight just passed oh dublin was that the discovery trailing the iss last chance to view it think it will be to bright to morrow evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

That was ****in class!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Just :eek:

Spectacular!

balls in anyways...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very impressive. My 4 year old spotted them first:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Farewell Discovery! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Savage stuff,nearly shed a tear.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

it was an awesome sight. 2 manned spacecraft flying above us for all to see. its hard to believe it may be a rarity in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭decies

Now that was pretty surreal, the best since seeing the shuttle and fuel tank.
    Excellent. :D

Shuttle and fuel tank much more spectactular,this was fairly low in the sky nearly missed it as it dissapeared between houses.

Tenger wrote: »
    That was my first time to see the shuttle as well as the ISS, pretty amazing image.

yea i had not seen the 2 together myself before, what better time than the last time it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Seen it tonight, my first time seeing shuttle + ISS
    Looked like the shuttle got really bright for a fraction of a sec when it was at its highest, amazing. :D

Advertisement