Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

tricky D wrote: »
    Probably the same reason for stars twinkling - varying effects of a varying light paths.

No its just a brighter reflection surface reflecting the sunlight better at a certain angle, and as the shuttle`s angle changed to the observer due to its moving along its orbit, it happened to have this brighter reflecting angled at the observers who seen it for a moment.

Irridium flare reflections from satellites are the same effect, except much more prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

[QUOTE

anyone spot the satellite moving north to south a few mins before them?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, nice and bright.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Glad a few others noticed it and I wasn't just seeing things! :)

Uncle text exact same when i told him about posts here saying it got brighter for a second.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No its just a brighter reflection surface reflecting the sunlight better at a certain angle, and as the shuttle`s angle changed to the observer due to its moving along its orbit, it happened to have this brighter reflecting angled at the observers who seen it for a moment.

Irridium flare reflections from satellites are the same effect, except much more prominent.
    Exactly right there! good chance it was a reflection from one of Discoverys windows:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Pass for Tuesday March 7
    Early pass before sunset but should still be visible from 18:12 - 18:17

19:48 -19:50
    viewfinder.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Amazing brilliant awesome sight.To see the ISS chasing Discovery was a real thrill. Took advantage of the clear night to try out my new telescope and i'm buzzing at seeing Jupiter and moons, Orion Nebula and the Moon close up. Happy Days :D

Amazing brilliant awesome sight.To see the ISS chasing Discovery was a real thrill. Took advantage of the clear night to try out my new telescope and i'm buzzing at seeing Jupiter and moons, Orion Nebula and the Moon close up. Happy Days :D

Its a great time to view the moon when its a thin crescent. It gives a good contrast on its surface at that time.

With jupiter and moons, have a look at some astronomy programme that shows when a moon is about to go behind or in front of jupiter, then you can watch it actually happen if you get the time right for viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Beeker wrote: »
    Tomorrow 19:47 - 19:49 for the Station, no times for the Shuttle yet. They will be further apart by then but still should be pass around the same time.

Are you sure? I really hope you're right, my reference doesn't have a sighting tomorrow:(

Prenderb wrote: »
    Are you sure? I really hope you're right, my reference doesn't have a sighting tomorrow:(

Is Beeker sure?? Is the Pope a catholic? LOL

Jake1 wrote: »

Yea id say the ISS is running by Beeker time at this stage:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

yes - the ISS and Shuttle appeared as two separate 'stars' - one chasing the other - in the sky tonight. A wonderful sight - here's a very short timelapse of them flying over Clonmacnoise this evening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEIeKeJSong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is way it can be seen tomorrow this is from the NASA site for the space station and Shuttle it would be right low on the horizon

sighting link

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Galway

It will be very low for the 19:49 passing alright. The 18:14 one should be visible even though it wont be fully dark. It will be a lot higher elevation than the 19:49 one, and nearer, and brighter magnitude.

Jake1 wrote: »

Well......

It's just that
    http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php and http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Port_Laoise give me no sightings tomorrow. :confused:Was just curious, and hopeful that they were wrong, cos I love seeing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well......

It's just that
    http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php and http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/view.cgi?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Port_Laoise give me no sightings tomorrow. :confused:Was just curious, and hopeful that they were wrong, cos I love seeing it!

If its not shown on the sightings list from NASA you wont see it as they only publish the times it will be seen from the area you click on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Wow, that was some air show earlier ! Amazing to watch so it was.

Yeah it's right for me but then I live in Waterford and it will be close to the southern horizon, The further north you are the less or even no chance of seeing it :(
    With saying that Waterford is covered in clouds this evening so looks like noone will get to see it:(

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea id say the ISS is running by Beeker time at this stage:D
    Did you not hear....Beeker time has now been adopted by NASA as the official time for all events:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Yeah it's right for me but then I live in Waterford and it will be close to the southern horizon, The further north you are the less or even no chance of seeing it :(
    With saying that Waterford is covered in clouds this evening so looks like noone will get to see it:(

Looking at the amount of cloud covering the country now i dont think anyone will see it tonight. At least we got a great view last night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Did you not hear....Beeker time has now been adopted by NASA as the official time for all events:D:D
    <countdown> B minus ten....nine.....:pac:

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    <countdown> B minus ten....nine.....:pac:
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

What time does the crew on the station go by ? anyone know ?

CO19 wrote: »

I would say it's the same time zone as Houston,central time? A lot of NASA tweets seem to be based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

If any morning birdy would like to watch a Soyuz return coverage is live now on nasa TV.
    undocking and seperation burns from the ISS have already happened and de-orbit burn coming up in about four minutes.
    Cmdr Kelly will finally get to see his twin brother who is going to command the next Shuttle and is also the husband of Congresswoman Gifford.
    Landing is due about an hour from now.
    This crew will have been in space for almost six months aboard the ISS

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

De-orbit burn has been confirmed as having gone well;
    picture of Soyuz after seperation from the ISS, the crew are located in the middle module which will be the only part to survive re-entry.
    the two modules either side of it seperate and burn up.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24414.0;attach=281436;image

views of the rcovery crews,cold looking day!!!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24414.0;attach=281322;image

and the diffrient ways a Soyuz crew are recoverd depending on exactly were they land and who gets there first

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24414.0;attach=281325;image

Touchdown of the Soyuz was confimed at 07.54 GMT.
    Expedition 26 is now over.
    three crewmembers are now left on the ISS.they were due to be joined by another three crewmembers to bring expedition 27 up to its full compliment of six on the ISS by a soyuz planned to launch March 30th,but a problem with that Soyuz will delay its launch by "at least a few days.

Crew are safe and well,but because of the harsh conditions are being flown still in their suits to a permanent medical facility rather than the usual temporary medical tent that is set up at the landing site.

Sequence of events were;
    after the de-orbit burn was complete the heat shild was ejected, recovery crews reported they were seeing the chutes.
    a radio beacon could be heard from the Soyuz to aid recovery find the Soyuz.
    two drough chutes deployed followed by an enormous one.
    Soyuz Cmd Alexander Kalereri reported maximum of nearly 4.5 G's during re-entry.
    Kaleri has now spent a total of 779 days in Space which believe it or not only places him 2nd as the most flown person in space.

just before touchdown six softlanding engines fired decreasing the speed of landing five feet PH.
    also the crews seats have shock absorbers.
    Soyuz landed on its side,which happens about 50% of the time.

it was a pinpoint landing 40 miles from town of Arkalyak in Kazakatan.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24414.0;attach=281472;image

Soyuz on its side.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24414.0;attach=281466;image

and the now 'ex' commander of the ISS Scott Kelly,i bet he was not as cold at any time even in space!:)

Video recorded by the search and recovery crew;

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/archive/exp26/replay96.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

CO19 wrote: »

Zulu/GMT/UTC Strictly speaking UTC and also MET, Mission Elapsed Time when the shuttle is hanging around for sleeping purposes.

Matt Molloys flute and paddy Maloney's tin whistle from the legendery trad music group 'the Chieftens' played by ISS flight engineer Catherine Coleman;
    as always a nice human touch by NASA!:)

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=72871981

For anyone interested the ISS and Endeavour will be visible crossing the sky tomorrow morning, Wed June 1st, from southwest to east.
    Endeavour will be visible from 04:26 to 04:30 and the ISS one minute behind from 04:27 to 04:31.
    viewfinder.exe?T=0&FOV=60&RA=323.207725392773&Dec=-10.6334841517749&RAInc=60&DecInc=10&TimeInc=15&SatName=ISS&Width=400&Height=400&STime=40695.1454412128&Lat=52.1113&Lng=-7.0513&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++11151%2E38748039+%2D%2E00017961++00000%2D0+%2D11138%2D3+0++4450&Line2=2+25544+051%2E6501+246%2E8303+0004793+357%2E6206+087%2E8829+15%2E75546741718269

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

4:26am....Darn I was really looking forward to seeing this, but that is just crazy late!:mad:

Advertisement