Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

ah we got to see it afterall, bobo just spoke to them from glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dnme wrote: »
    ah we got to see it afterall, bobo just spoke to them from glastonbury.

That was recorded during STS-134 by Mark Kelly which returned to Earth from the ISS 1st June. It wasn't live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That was recorded during STS-134 by Mark Kelly which returned to Earth from the ISS 1st June. It wasn't live.

Never said it was live, pretty obvious it was a recording. My point was that we got to "see it today".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Passed over Castlebar(to the South) at 2257.Lovely clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Here's an interesting video in case anyone hasn't seen it before, it's a year old now but it's great to get an in dept tour of what we gaze up at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks for posting... awfully claustrophic in there... Its huge though, but a bit narrow for my liking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Anytime i look at vids or pics of the ISS i always say how clustered and 'busy' the floors are and how awkward it must be to get around, then i realise technically they dont need a 'floor'. Always bakes my noodle and takes a bit of thinking to realise it :D.
    Very easy to get claustrophic and 'cabin fever' up there id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

She's back! Looking as beautiful as ever.
    Just saw a falling perseid, was looking around for more and saw her sail almost directly overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

jimbis wrote: »
    Very easy to get claustrophic and 'cabin fever' up there id say!

The people they choose to live there would have gone thru multiple evaluations to make sure they dont suffer from either problem. I think the one complaint is the lack of life, ie trees, grass, birds etc and lack of smell. The scrubber units and air filtration seem to take out any smell, so the odour is neutral on board.

It's large enough now to be able to get away from the rest of the crew for a bit of alone time. Couldn't imagine being on the shuttle for 2 weeks, it was tiny inside, as was Apollo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Super bright pass of the ISS tonight at 22:25

Don't forget to wave :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

secondattemptatastropho.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wish I had know a bit more about Astrophotography when I took this it would have turned out so much better.This is the Shuttle and External tank flying over Ireland on sts 124

And here is a second one,complete with a tiny jolt of the camera !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

And here is a second one,complete with a tiny jolt of the camera !:mad:

That was the 4-5am one wasn't it? I stayed up for this, my brothers came back from the pubs just before and they decided to stay up a little longer to see it. We all went out into the front yard behind the hedge to watch it. Just before the pass the local drunk see's activity behind the hedge, thinks he's doing his civic duty and starts shouting at the top of his lungs, "Oi! what are you lot doing in there!!". He would have woken everyone in the area. By the time we convinced him what we were doing it was too late and we only caught the last 10 or 20 seconds of the flyover!! :D

Thankfuly we caught the earlier orbiter/external tank flyover a few weeks previously at 12am (Arguably, the better one) or else I would have been very very pissed off. As it was we just had to laugh about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Brilliant pass tonight,never fails to make the hairs stand on end.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

WOW!! Did anyone else just see that? ISS passed over and a huge shooting star with trail passed just below it. Amazing. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

RonMexico wrote: »
    WOW!! Did anyone else just see that? ISS passed over and a huge shooting star with trail passed just below it. Amazing. :D

Lucky you. Cloudy here so didn't see anything but there are reports elsewhere of what you saw so looking forward to seeing some pics of this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

That was the brightest pass that I have seen of it, was higher in the sky than heavens above said it would be or maybe I got my angles wrong. Seen the shooting start as well and a few other smaller satellites. Not a bad lot for only 10 minutes viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I was outisde shooting the breeze last night and did'nt know I was expecting a visitor. It was the brightest pass that I have seen.

I did feel bad for my friend who I was talking to on the phone , who lives in sodium sky filled Lucan / Legoland who could see nothing.

A rare clear night in North Kerry saw the ISS blaze across the skies tonight.I thought it was the brightest most beautiful pass Id ever witnessed.On board Astronaut Ron Garns wifes family Carmell Garn hail from Mayo Ron and Carmell paid a visit there in 2008.Ron was born in Yonkers NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 loley

so I guess this is what I saw Thursday night.
    figured it was some kind of satellite or space station.
    I saw it over Kinsale in Cork.
    it was very bright, brighter than airliner lights which we saw in the sky at the same time, but higher up.
    kind of a yellow/white light and seemed quite large, moving in a steady arc.
    wished I had my camera :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Just walked out of the pub last night at about 10 and noticed it passing right by the moon. It was very bright, I love when I get to see things unexpectedly like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Just walked out of the pub last night at about 10 and noticed it passing right by the moon. It was very bright, I love when I get to see things unexpectedly like that.

Did you see it move?

Jupiter, the second brightest object in the sky was close enough to the Moon ~ beautiful ~ and I commented at how clear the stars are over the last few nights, even allowing for the light pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Just walked out of the pub last night at about 10 and noticed it passing right by the moon.

Nothing worse than a pub with no atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I saw this too last night. poor dog was going mad barking at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Exactly 21:30 Thurs Aug 18th directly overhead I spotted something in orbit as it was defo not in earths atmosphere, travelling from west to east did I happen to see the ISS??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Exactly 21:30 Thurs Aug 18th directly overhead I spotted something in orbit as it was defo not in earths atmosphere, travelling from west to east did I happen to see the ISS??

Yes, that sighting is already in discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

That was the clearest passing ive ever seen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MiamTea

Lo! I went out at midnight to catch a view of the ISS, right? And I did spot it (in the East?).... I think, but it usually mups past in a minute or two but 40 mins later its still in view... Im pretty sure its the ISS, Ive seen it on prev. nights n all
    But anyway, its only moved higher in the sky from my point of view... Whats going on?! Enlighten me, I'm so confused!!
    (oh and I saw a pretty huge meteor too wasn't even expecting one wooh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

MiamTea wrote: »
    Lo! I went out at midnight to catch a view of the ISS, right? And I did spot it (in the East?).... I think, but it usually mups past in a minute or two but 40 mins later its still in view... Im pretty sure its the ISS, Ive seen it on prev. nights n all
    But anyway, its only moved higher in the sky from my point of view... Whats going on?! Enlighten me, I'm so confused!!
    Big one!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73968369#post73968369

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

MiamTea wrote: »
    What you saw was the planet Jupiter. It rises in the east and is about the same brightness as the brightest passes of the iss.

Advertisement