Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

CO19 wrote: »
    So the astronauts that take pictures for their own Twitter accounts etc have to have NASA fix them up first before they can post them up ?

I would not know anything about that, I would not think they take their own personal cams into space TBH ~ so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Saw this on a news article the other day-the ISS passing in front of the Moon.

moon-international-space-center3-1024x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

ATV-3 which was launched on march 23rd to bring supplies to the ISS is due to dock tomorrow eve.

It will be visible overhead in the morning from 6.04 wsw - 6.08 e followed shortly by the ISS from 6.08 wsw - 6.14 e.
    Worth a look

Edit: those sightings were for today wednesday 28th, i wrote 'tomorrow evening' but didnt realise it was after midnight when i posted

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Why has this thread become so quiet in the past few months? Is the ISS only visible during the summer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Why has this thread become so quiet in the past few months? Is the ISS only visible during the summer?
    You can see the ISS at all times of the year. It passes over Ireland every day but sometimes its during daylight hours so is not visible then. at the moment the passes are in the early morning if you want to get up. Tomorrow it will pass between 05:32 and 05:37
    viewfinder.exe?T=0&FOV=60&RA=246.311750740227&Dec=34.7768427435255&RAInc=60&DecInc=10&TimeInc=15&SatName=ISS&Width=400&Height=400&STime=41000.190251901&Lat=52.1113&Lng=-7.0513&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++12091%2E42420881++%2E00013956++00000%2D0++17595%2D3+0++2797&Line2=2+25544+051%2E6414+151%2E7698+0015371+217%2E3375+256%2E6043+15%2E59779457765895

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    You can see the ISS at all times of the year. It passes over Ireland every day but sometimes its during daylight hours so is not visible then. at the moment the passes are in the early morning if you want to get up. Tomorrow it will pass between 05:32 and 05:37
    viewfinder.exe?T=0&FOV=60&RA=246.311750740227&Dec=34.7768427435255&RAInc=60&DecInc=10&TimeInc=15&SatName=ISS&Width=400&Height=400&STime=41000.190251901&Lat=52.1113&Lng=-7.0513&Line1=1+25544U+98067A+++12091%2E42420881++%2E00013956++00000%2D0++17595%2D3+0++2797&Line2=2+25544+051%2E6414+151%2E7698+0015371+217%2E3375+256%2E6043+15%2E59779457765895

Thanks, and will it move back into evening/night time during the summer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Thanks, and will it move back into evening/night time during the summer?
    Yes in a few weeks it will be vivible in the evenings. You can keep a check here or have a look at http://www.heavens-above.com/

Yes in a few weeks it will be vivible in the evenings. You can keep a check here or have a look at http://www.heavens-above.com/

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 glasses16

Pardon my ignorance but what is this ISS you are all talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I presume it's the international space station.....

• Advertisement

Yeah the ISS is the International Space station. Orbiting the earth once every 90 minutes and has been doing so since 199. There are six crew members on board at the moment.

s130e012150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Yeah the ISS is the International Space station. Orbiting the earth once every 90 minutes and has been doing so since 199. There are six crew members on board at the moment.

It's been in orbit for 1813 years?! :eek: It must be falling apart by now.

paulosham wrote: »
    It's been in orbit for 1813 years?! :eek: It must be falling apart by now.
    Oops!!:eek: My bad typing too fast:o it should say 1998:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Visible appearances of the ISS will shift from early morning to evening on April 10th with an appearance of less than a minute at 21:44 over the southern sky as viewed from Dublin, the elevation will be between 10 and 11 degrees so a fairly fleeting appearance within a narrow window but there will then be a series of longer appearances, including two just 95 minutes apart i.e. with a full orbit of the Earth in between on April 12th at 21:27 and 23:02.

There is a NASA app for the iPhone which gives the appearances from your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/irelandatnight.jpg/

Thanks to the current crew for taking this photo about two weeks ago !

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/irelandatnight.jpg/

Thanks to the current crew for taking this photo about two weeks ago !

wow :O anyone care to explain what the green lights are? They kinda look lik the northern lights.

wow :O anyone care to explain what the green lights are? They kinda look lik the northern lights.
    You got it in one! the northern lights or the aurora borealis seen from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Just saw my personal best iss pass last night, I'm in phoenix az and I saw it from the west coast all the way to illinois...not a cloud in the sky....it's nice to have seen it back home in ireland and over here .....when working with creationists all day, it was a nice way to end it.

markfla wrote: »
    Just saw my personal best iss pass last night, I'm in phoenix az and I saw it from the west coast all the way to illinois...not a cloud in the sky....it's nice to have seen it back home in ireland and over here .....when working with creationists all day, it was a nice way to end it.
    I still find it incredible that people exist in this world who are creationists. In my opinion they are the greatest threat around today to the education of young people. It makes me mad:mad:.

Rant over...............this is not the place!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Just seen it fly "over" clonsilla, and i was about to give up as orange cloud was getting thicker, looking through my bin's it was very bright, white and fast:) first time to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi all,

good work on managing to see the ISS passes this week.

If anyone is up for a challenge then you might like to try for Tiangong-1, the Chinese space station (not yet manned), which makes one final evening pass on Wednesday night, April 18th, around 9:30pm BST.

The station will be quite low and the predicted magnitude is 2.1 -- same brightness as Mizar, the middle star in the "handle" of The Plough, but Tiangong-1 may look fainter due to atmospheric extinction at the low elevation. Predictions can be generated at http://www.heavens-above.com

Let us know how you get on!

As an aside, Brian Harvey, an acknowledged expert on the world's space programs and author of a number of books for Springer-Verlag, is giving a talk on the Chinese Space Program to the IAS & SDAS on Thursday, April 19th in Gonzaga College, Ranelagh, Dublin at 8pm. All are welcome and admission is free.

I saw on an earlier post where someone enquired about viewing of satellites. The longer days and lingering twilight as we near the Summer months means you'll begin to notice a surfeit of artificial satellites slowly threading their way across the sky each night. There's a good reason for this. The Sun never dips far below the horizon during the summer period so the Earth’s shadow cast in space is low in the sky. During the winter, when the shadow is higher, most satellites tend to be eclipsed by the Earth's umbra for an observer on the ground, leading to fewer of these space-birds being seen. Up to four passes of the ISS can be seen in a single night around the June 21st solstice because of the all-night twilight.

all the best,

john

I've been meaning to check out tiangong for the past few months but cloud and forgetfulness kept getting in the way.

Big bright pass of the iss tonight from 10.14 - 10.20 w to e.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Aargh! Cloudy here south Dublin after it looking so promising earlier in the evening :(

It looks like the next series of passes for Tiangong-1 from my location will not be 'til May 18th in the morning sky.

Launch of Shenzhou 9 to dock with the space station is scheduled for some stage between late-June and early-August but coming up with an exact date is like predicting the Grand National winner :D Some info though on http://www.zarya.info/Diaries/China/Shenzhou/Shenzhou09Analysis.php

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conora2b

just seen it pass over Monaghan looked amazing with the naked eye would love to see it through a telescope cheers for the times lolie :D:D

whens the next pass??
    and whats the other bright star in the sky? i thought it was the north star when i saw it first but its way to bright is there another satellite or planet visible looks like its stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 souperduper

Nasa also have a good app that predicts passings or this link thats in real time .Just said id add too :Dhttp://www.n2yo.com/

conora2b wrote: »
    just seen it pass over Monaghan looked amazing with the naked eye would love to see it through a telescope cheers for the times lolie :D:D

whens the next pass??
    and whats the other bright star in the sky? i thought it was the north star when i saw it first but its way to bright is there another satellite or planet visible looks like its stationary.

Two good visible passes tonight. First at 9.18 - 9.24 W to E. Second at 10.54 - 10.57 W to WSW.

That big star your lookin at is the planet venus, also high up in the southern sky is Mars, its the orange one.
    And Saturn rises in the southeast as its getting dark, worth looking at with a telescope to see the rings on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

lolie wrote: »
    And Saturn rises in the southeast as its getting dark, worth looking at with a telescope to see the rings on it.
    Shame, I am located just west of the M50 so the light pollution ois pretty bad towards the east for me........

Thought to share this astounding photo taken from the ISS. Others can be found at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/europeanspaceagency/with/7063881959/

6917806050_cc5de9269a.jpg
    Europe and its nightlights, seen from the ISS by europeanspaceagency, on Flickr

Great pics tenger. Its a pity so many people are to engrossed in telly at night instead of knowing whats in the sky above them.
    Saturn is midway up in the southern sky about midnight so might be viewable or go for a drive.

lolie wrote: »
    Great pics tenger. Its a pity so many people are to engrossed in telly at night instead of knowing whats in the sky above them.
    Saturn is midway up in the southern sky about midnight so might be viewable or go for a drive.
    Yeah most people just live their lives and never really know where they were, just like sheep watching a train go by. They are aware of something but have no idea what it is:D

• Advertisement

Iss pass tonight a 9.58 - 10.03 W to ESE. And a very short pass at 11.35 WSW

Advertisement