Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passing over Ireland tonight - what time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fvck ooooooooofffffffffff, clouds!!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The window is a bit more than 3 minutes, it is at its highest at 18:38, so its visible for 6 or 7 minutes although you would want to be in a very dark flat area to see it easily for more than 3 or 4 minutes alright.

The shuttle is about 10 seconds or so behind the ISS at present, so about 50 to 60 miles.
    Beeker wrote: »
    Very close at that stage, perhaps 2-3 miles at most and closing in slowly. Docking is due at 19:16.

Cheers for replies, nice to know information like that, speeds and distance etc to take in what we are viewing although the clouds are moving in swiftly now over my vantage point, few hours yet and hope it is somewhat clear at that time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

derra wrote: »
    Cheers for replies, nice to know information like that, speeds and distance etc to take in what we are viewing although the clouds are moving in swiftly now over my vantage point, few hours yet and hope it is somewhat clear at that time.
    Fingers crossed here aswell for clear skies, so far so good but some cloud building:mad:
    Don't forget that when they pass overhead they are travelling at 17500mph thats 5 miles a second.:)
    When I say the shuttle is closing in "slowly" that is only in relation to the station. Their closing speed is only a few feet per minute but both are travelling at 17500mph relative to the Earth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Looks like the Shuttle and Station will be very close together during the pass at 18:35 this evening, might not be able to see both as they may appear as one object but worth a look.

Weather wise it's looking great where i am thank god, clear sky at the moment, clouds way off in the distance.
    Even if they do both appear as one as Beeker suggests, knowing what is actually flying by is good enough for me although it be great to see a gap between the two if only for few secs.
    tick tock tick tock soon they will dock :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm in cork but presume I still look south ?

Andip wrote: »
    Yes moving from southwest to east. Can't miss it very bright starlike object:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Looks like the Shuttle and Station will be very close together during the pass at 18:35 this evening, might not be able to see both as they may appear as one object but worth a look.

The tracker thing on the site is showing the shuttle a bit ahead of the ISS now, might just be able to see them seperate. But if they are on time for the docking like you mentioned earlier, they will be seen as a single object alright. I think it might just be visible as 2 seperate ones though.

Yes you will be among the closest to it in ireland. south south west it will appear, and moving east. if we keep following it we should see it disappear into earths shadow.

The tracker thing on the site is showing the shuttle a bit ahead of the ISS now, might just be able to see them seperate. But if they are on time for the docking like you mentioned earlier, they will be seen as a single object alright. I think it might just be visible as 2 seperate ones though.
    Hope so:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What direction should one look to see this?

Just passed over..beautiful sight, could only see one object but it was great:)

Yes moving from southwest to east. Can't miss it very bright starlike object:)

Looks like your docking time is spot on, only see a single object. Followed it until it went into the earths shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Could only make out one object. Still very cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

where was the shuttle?!!!

Had a perfect view of it :)
    Both appeared as one as Beeker said it might, spectacular to see and to know whats going on !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Beautiful just beautiful - thanks to all you guys who gave us the info that allowed us the opportunity to see it

The will undock next week and hopefully we will get another chance to see them as two seperate objects then:)

encore1 wrote: »
    where was the shuttle?!!!
    It was too close to the station to make out as a seperate object:(

Beautiful just beautiful - thanks to all you guys who gave us the info that allowed us the opportunity to see it

Was just thinking after my last post to mention that, so +1 to what you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Great clear pass in Dublin,but two appeared as one.
    tried to get a friend to take an interest,she saw it and said *Where is it going?:)

There will be another viewing possible at 20:13, it will be closer, so it will be brighter, it will go into earths shadow near its highest viewable point though i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Could only make out one object too although once or twice thought it look like two objects, probably wishful thinking though

The will undock next week and hopefully we will get another chance to see them as two seperate objects then:)

Keep us informed please Beeker.
    There will be another viewing possible at 20:13, it will be closer, so it will be brighter,

Looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

lovely pass in a nice clear sky in Kildare, class. Thanks for the heads up.

clln wrote: »
    Great clear pass in Dublin,but two appeared as one.
    tried to get a friend to take an interest,she saw it and said *Where is it going?:)

you should of told him, around the world in 90 minutes:)

derra wrote: »
    Keep us informed please Beeker.

Looking forward to that :)

Tomorrow evening 19:04 it will be a nice bright view of it. Much brighter than the one 20 minutes ago.

Have a look from 20:10 though tonight, it might be visible until just after 20:12 when it will enter earths shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep us posted :D

Saw it too, lovely sight. Couldn't discern two objects, but I knew what was going on, that's what matters ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Good clear sight of that.

Docking now in progress on NASA TV.

About 50 feet to go.

Advertisement