Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maharajah Indian in Newbridge gone to crap

Options
  • 29-12-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭

As it says in the title, indian beside McLoughlins garage gone to crap. Went there for the usual takeaway and was to pick it up at 7 45. I got it at 8 30.

During my stay there were about 5 tables in use and all very bad moods. One table of 3 people had polished off a bottle of wine but had got no food so they were goiing. Guy said he had been there an hour.

A second table of 3 came up and asked for the wine and 3 glasses or he was leaving. No food there.

A third table of 4 only got there starters when I was leaving and had been there for the whole 45 minutes unattended.

A fourth table of 2 came up asking for water and to be served after waiting most of that time. They came in just before me.

A fifth table of 2 did a lot of head shaking in disgust.

Two clowns on the floor and one senior member (not old but more able and giving orders) who was intent on doing deliveries. She should have cancelled deliveries and attended her customers and I said this to her. All she said was the boss was away and what could she do.

After all the above i get my takeaway for 16.75. I gave the guy a 20 and he said he had no change so I scraped together 16.75. To top it off it was awful. Tasted gritty and horrible.

These idiots have ruined a great buisness that was run very well by the last 2 guys. I asked where they were a few weeks ago and was told they have been shipped off to Limerick.

We used to go to Jaipore at the bottom of the town and were there for a sit down with the kids and it was very poor and expensive. Just over 100 including one bottle of wine. Steep for any indian when you consider the kids just had nuggets/gougons.

Not one decent indian in Newbridge now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Best take away in Newbridge is Zen Thai by a mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Scruff101 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not one decent indian in Newbridge now.

I agree - I tend to go to Indie Spice in Naas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I just spend the difference on the petrol and go to Swapna in Naas.

I am an ex Maharajah customer myself and i think they do a great job most of the time with the restaurant food but the takeaway let it down big time,different chef?

Not good seeing their only review here so far as a negative,pity,they are a nice bunch but it takes more than that these days.

Scruff101 wrote: »

Do they do Indian style food?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have to say Jaipore is one of the best Indians I have eaten in. Wife and I love it. Eat in the place you mentioned and one word comes to mind slop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I find it to be quite good for the rpice charged - 44.95 for 3 courses + bottle of wine!!!! - I'm not going to expect top end fare for that price.

Service always good.

btw - the guys who used to run bollywood spices there are now running Ashouka in Athy. mmmm - well worth the trip.

As a note for indian cooking - every area has its own style, so every chef will be different. What one person claims is great, may not be agreed with by another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It used to be so good but standards have really slipped. We only ever order take away and it was fantastic but last couple of times the lamb was very tough and they forgot to bring the rice, and the food was cold. Its a shame really. Zen thai is nice but miss my Indian :(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

scargill wrote: »
    I agree - I tend to go to Indie Spice in Naas now.

It's the best by far.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

It's the best by far.

Agree for the Naas/Newbridge area. But anytime we are up in Dublin, we always make a point of going to a Bombay Pantry for takeaways, & taking them back to Newbridge with us. Their food is the best by a mile imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

This used to be my favorite Indian from the days of Bollywood spices (we got 2 free bottles of wine on our last sit down when they sold up because we were there so often), and then when it became Maharajah with the 2 lads running it, we were very regular for takeaway and sitdown. But since they have gone it is total and utter crap, even the takeaway. I passed it yesterday again while bringing the kids for a cycle and had to stop myself going in to let them know how crap they were.

Swapna is now our favorite indian but a trip to Naas for a takeaway is just out of the question. Jaipore in Newbridge has had more than one off nite with us and we knocked it on the head after the last experience.

Zen thai is fantastic for chinese in both sitdown and takeaway. It seems to be busy most nights and good luck to them. But I want a decent indian restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

here's another option for indie lovers

Cunninghams bar in kildare town - they offer the full menu from the new Spice restaurant upstairs and charge just 14.95 for all main courses including rice/naan.

There's a perfect casual evening - log fire, pint guinness, and extra hot vindaloo :D - and still change from €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 beryl1

If you don't mind a half hour/40 mins drive try Delhi Darbar in Celbridge, I travel from Naas to it. Tried all the indians in Naas and Indie spice is the best in naas but delhi darbar's the best indian i've had. Well worth the drive!:)

Decided to give the takeaway menu a go again here on Friday and it was another let down :(.

Seek chat kebab was so tough it was frightening for a kebab,lamb in the curries was not much better,ordered 2 the same sauce curries at different heats and both were the same,i finished mine with alot of effort but the other half left 60%+,pilau was average and plain as could be,poppadoms were scarce even though we requested for an extra portion and received 2 little bags with what could be described as pieces when put together would not even make up 2 full units and the accompanients onion/cucumber and mint yoghurt were miniscual in their little tubs and to finish requested Garlic and Coriander Naan but only received Coriander.

Only comfort was the Maharaja Curry sauce.

All in E26.

Can't really afford to fork out for this standard of food anymore myself :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Tulip Indian and Italian over Toughers in Rathangan. Takeaways always consistant, fast, hot, decent food and reasonable prices. Only ate in once, about a year ago. Food was good, service was excellent, tad expensive tho. €200 for 4 adults with drinks. Think they've restructured their pricing since

Just to update the restaurant has had a facelift and a name change,have not been in myself but i think it's boasting a Nepalese and Indian menu,could be interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Tried it last week, some unusual dishes on the menu. Must say it was quite nice, will deffo give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭markphillips

Pity they are gone bad. Personally I think Jaipore on Eyre Street is the best option for an Indian in Newbridge. Their food is brilliant, and the cost is decent. They are family-run and get to know their customers. For example, my family and I went there not long ago and they remembered the wine my parents had the last time and stuff. Try 'em out! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Gregsor wrote: »
    Just to update the restaurant has had a facelift and a name change,have not been in myself but i think it's boasting a Nepalese and Indian menu,could be interesting..

and an ownership change

Advertisement