Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luigi Malones Cork - closing down?

Options
  • 29-12-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Some one told me yesterday that Luigi Malones Cork was closing. Did anyone else hear that? Not the greatest restaurant in Cork but still it would be sad to see the place closing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only problem I ever had was the noise in there. You'd to shout across the table to the person next to you. Very frustrating when you're trying to have a meal out. Terrible to see the place go.

On another note, I hope the propellor on the ceiling goes to a good home, it's from the Spirit of St Louis IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Has this got to do with the water situation in Cork. We were in Milanos today for lunch and initially they weren't sure if they could take us due to the water crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

The only problem I ever had was the noise in there. You'd to shout across the table to the person next to you. Very frustrating when you're trying to have a meal out. Terrible to see the place go.

Limericks the same with the noise, and they serve argentinian steak WTF is wrong with Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

PcAngel wrote: »
    Has this got to do with the water situation in Cork. We were in Milanos today for lunch and initially they weren't sure if they could take us due to the water crisis.

No the reason I heard was financial. I also saw a brief mention on PeoplesRepublicOfCork but that's nothing to go by either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

No the reason I heard was financial. I also saw a brief mention on PeoplesRepublicOfCork but that's nothing to go by either.

indeed, its not anything to go on. insolvency of a ltd co doesnt = shut doors by a long shot

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Unless someone has real and reliable info can people please stop the speculation. All this unfounded rumour will only help close down the business in question.

In fact this thread could even be seen as potentially defamatory and if I were the owner of LM I would be quite annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fm wrote: »

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I can't see any obvious link between the company you linked to and Luigi Malones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it certainly isnt an obvious link, it took a bit of searching on goggle to find this page http://www.linkedin.com/companies/sandquay-restaurants

on the right hand side of the page it has a link to http://www.luigimalones.com/, i am assuming luigi malones is a trading name of sandquay,
    it dosent seem to say anything on insolvencyjournal except there is a meeting on jan 4th in the imperial,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

As others have hinted to this Is a 2 plus 2 = 5 story! An insolvency meeting of the ltd co associated with the trading name does not mean the place is closing down and this thread could be quite harmful IMO

The meetings scheduled are creditor meetings though. I can't see why they'd need to meet unless things had gone wrong. I fully accept the possibility here that I'm reading the wrong signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If it is closing down I would like to make an opening bid for the giant clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not a big fan of the place TBH. Well, really just one of the people who seat you.

Went in just before Xmas, no reservation but said might as well give it a try. The guy on the desk actually gave out to me saying "It's murder like, coming in before Xmas without a reservation" When a quick look around told me they were empty and had more waitresses than I would think were needed...though we were still very slow in getting served. Lovely food, but I was pissed at being treated like an idiot just because I wanted to walk in. They magically found a table there were only 4 other couples in that section and 2 waitresses, who happened to be really good at their jobs except for long periods of disappearing which was kinda annoying.

So, if that is their usual level of customer service, I can't say I am surprized if they close.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Bloody awful place. Its closing is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Max001 wrote: »

Maybe so. But it is still peoples jobs that are being lost if the rumours are true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Went there for my work party this year.Must say the service was brilliant and the food was savage. It was a bit pricey but in the end it was worth it for the quality of food we got.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sorry to see people losing their jobs but I've always maintained it was overpriced and the food was only ok - far better places to eat in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Went there for my work party this year.Must say the service was brilliant and the food was savage. It was a bit pricey but in the end it was worth it for the quality of food we got.

I never had problems with the service (maybe once or twice they were slow when busy) but the food was sh!t and the prices were insane, the food was not bad, meaning it would not make you sick, but it was basically a slight upgrade on McDonalds.

In fairness jobs lost are a bad thing, but the place was one of the worst excuses for a restaurant I've yet to see in Cork..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Staff of Café Hi in wilton were called in today for a meeting. The two cafe hi are owned by the same company that own Luigi malones and were basically told it doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The one in Temple bar is quite good, don't see how the cork one is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Is Luigi's still open at the moment? I have a voucher to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

murphym7 wrote: »
    'Twas open when I walked passed it yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

murphym7 wrote: »

I used my €160 voucher (won a €100 and got a gift of €60!) a few days before CHristmas as the shut down is coming. Get in there and spend that voucher asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

. Lovely food, but I was pissed at being treated like an idiot just because I wanted to walk in.

With respect, more fool you for staying there if you were spoken to rudely. Plenty other restaurants with polite staff.
    Max001 wrote: »

In your opinion. I am not a fan either, but it served a purpose in the city. Plus it will cost a fair amount of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Booked a meal there for Saturday night (had a voucher and wanted to use it with the rumours going around), hope it stays open until then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I actually enjoy going in there - it is not for the service and certainly not for the food. We go in there for the craic, there is about 6 of us that go in there 3/4 times a year to get wrecked! We have a few pints accross town and then hit the jugs of cocktails for the night, some nights I don't even eat my food. Its just a laugh, the atmostphere is good and when you are skulling down a load of jugs of cocktails things get even better.

This place does fill a gap in the boozy dinner market for me. Jacques it aint, it does not pretend to be high end either though. I don't find the prices high at all really, escpecailly if you use the loyalty vouchers they give you next time you go. Really hope this place gets a buyer, I would say, sold on its own it would be a going concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Interesting article that.
    I remember Ruby Jones in Douglas. Didn't know it had the same owners. I thought it was alright but know a few people that didn't like it at all. Obviously it wasn't popular if it only lasted a few months. I was surprised it closed so fast though.

Advertisement