Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luigi Malones Cork - closing down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I thought it was great for a casual relaxed dinner and if you choose well the food wasn't bad at all. I'd be sorry to see it close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I must admit I haven't been there in a while, but always found the food excellent, the service good and the prices reasonable. It was always more relaxed than other restaurants. Not somewhere for a romantic meal but more for a relaxed evening with friends.

Agree on other posters on the noise level though, the acoustics are terrible, and means you do shout at the people at your table to be heard. Something I also find in isaac's, if you are in the room near the waterfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

murphym7 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy going in there - it is not for the service and certainly not for the food. We go in there for the craic, there is about 6 of us that go in there 3/4 times a year to get wrecked! We have a few pints accross town and then hit the jugs of cocktails for the night, some nights I don't even eat my food. Its just a laugh, the atmostphere is good and when you are skulling down a load of jugs of cocktails things get even better.

This place does fill a gap in the boozy dinner market for me. Jacques it aint, it does not pretend to be high end either though. I don't find the prices high at all really, escpecailly if you use the loyalty vouchers they give you next time you go. Really hope this place gets a buyer, I would say, sold on its own it would be a going concern.

Speaking of Jacques, was there once, food way overpriced, prices extortionate and staff up their own arses. Have been in Michelin starred restaurants here and abroad and this does not measure up at all. Give me Luigi's any day !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm amazed that LM is in trouble, everytime I go past they seem to be packed. Have to say, I'm not a fan of the place. I'd rate it as being very expensive for the food quality, which is of a poor standard -but not surprising considering the vast majority is being prepped in Little Island and reheated in town - and the place is less than relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

professore wrote: »
    Speaking of Jacques, was there once, food way overpriced, prices extortionate and staff up their own arses. Have been in Michelin starred restaurants here and abroad and this does not measure up at all. Give me Luigi's any day !

Ate in Jacques once with my girlfriend. Good quality, very expensive. Overall I wouldn't go back. Feel the same about Les Gourmandises, went back reluctantly for a 2nd try in December, overpriced, unspectacular food at a high enough price. Their wine was good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

So is it closing or not, does anyone know? Or was this this rumours?? I have a voucher and dont know whether to use it fast or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Cadyboo wrote: »
    So is it closing or not, does anyone know? Or was this this rumours?? I have a voucher and dont know whether to use it fast or not!

according to the examiner, it's not. the cork restaurant will continue to trade. if it was me, I'd use the voucher reasonably soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

deRanged wrote: »
    according to the examiner, it's not. the cork restaurant will continue to trade. if it was me, I'd use the voucher reasonably soon though.

Correct - they are currently trying to find a new buyer, to sell as a going concern if my terminology is correct - however this won't last forever if they can't find one - it often happens that the directors just call it a day and then your voucher will be useless. Or it could change ownership and name, which can sometimes lead to all issued vouchers being voided. Or hopefully it will all work out and these jobs will be saved and I believe the latter is what will happen. It is always a busy place from what I can see, but all the same get in there and use it asap to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Luigi Malone's in Limerick closed its doors early last week. If the Cork restaurant doesn't get a buyer in the next few months then one can only presume it will go the same way. Hopefully not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've only ever been to the one in Limerick but I was not a huge fan. The food wouldn't really be my cup of tea.
    I hope to God Milano's doesn't close, No way I can live without their garlic Bread!

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    I've only ever been to the one in Limerick but I was not a huge fan. The food wouldn't really be my cup of tea.
    I hope to God Milano's doesn't close, No way I can live without their garlic Bread!

Milano's definitely deserves to go. The one in Cork is a joke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dermighty wrote: »
    Milano's definitely deserves to go. The one in Cork is a joke.

Milano's is a massive chain; I doubt it'll close.

Faith wrote: »
    Milano's is a massive chain; I doubt it'll close.

I said it deserves to :) It's popular, but in Cork, the staff are slow, badly trained and the food (except the pollo pancetta pizza) is sh!t.

Advertisement