Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darren Ferguson sacked by Preston

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

That'll be the end of them getting to loan all uniteds talented youngsters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

curry-muff wrote: »

A policy that failed judging by the fact they prop up the bottom of the table. I'm surprised he wasn't gone by the start of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Preston have been woeful this season and I am afraid are doomed.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Two managers in way above there heads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hopefully United appoint him now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with the Burnley job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Daddy couldn't stop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

United's B team.Maybe Mike Phelan can take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Never have been convinced of young Fergusons ability,always helps him get a job/get appreciated when he's his fathers son,bit like Nigel Clough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Never have been convinced of young Fergusons ability,always helps him get a job/get appreciated when he's his fathers son,bit like Nigel Clough

Never a truer word spoken. That said, i think Ferguson is a decent manager, but like the previous manager Alan Irvine, had a really small squad of players to work with and no outstanding talent. That current panel have always depended on a solid home form, their away record has always been poor. Even when they made the playoffs two years ago they lost ten games away from home. This season they can't even score at home, its all well and good having 6' 7" Jon Parkin up front but if there's no one who can whip a decent ball into him then they're totally banjaxed. They've lost some very decent players too over the last couple of seasons - Ross McCormack to Cardiff, Paul McKenna to Forest, and they haven't been replaced. And while they may have one of the best keepers in England in Andy Lonergan (the FAI should really snap him up before England do) and a decent enough defence with St Ledger and Davidson in the back four. However they're never likely to score too many at the other end as long as Billy Jones and Richard Chaplow are up there.

Since Billy Davies left, bar one good season, its all been downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Delighted, but it should have been done sooner. Preston can get out of the mss they're in, they've some good players. Give Rafa the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

1 down 1 to go. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol at this thread. Would anyone care if his name wasn't Ferguson? United B team? LOLOLOL

RasTa wrote: »
    lol at this thread. Would anyone care if his name wasn't Ferguson? United B team? LOLOLOL
    Followers of Championship football would. Football does not begin and end with the Premiership and its managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I actually like Preston, so yes, I care. There is life outside the Premership.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I actually like Preston, so yes, I care. There is life outside the Premership.

Like? What does that mean? Another multi team 'fan'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fergie for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Moronic post.

There are leagues other than your precious Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

quarryman wrote: »
    Moronic post.

There are leagues other than your precious Premiership.

You dont really get what he is saying do you?

grenache wrote: »
    Followers of Championship football would. Football does not begin and end with the Premiership and its managers.

100% agree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Championship >>> Premiership imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭RobTheLad

may be better news for st ledger now, as he wasn't getting his game under ferguson

I really wouldn't be surprised if Phil Brown took Preston on tbh.

While the Championship as a whole is obviously not on a par with the Premiership in terms of skill and talent, it is a very good league in its own right. The football is just as entertaining and its much more competitive. Anyone can beat anyone, which cant really be said for the PL. Not nearly as predictable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i wouldnt have Fergie jnr in charge of Cobh Ramblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I completely see Rasta's point. This was only given a thread because it's Alex Ferguson's son.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He got Peterbrough from League 2 to Championship in two seasons, he clearly has some talent as a manager. Success is relative.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

He got Peterbrough from League 2 to Championship in two seasons, he clearly has some talent as a manager. Success is relative.

and then more or less got em relegated from the championship:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    I completely see Rasta's point. This was only given a thread because it's Alex Ferguson's son.

I can see the point in a way but tbh it just stinks of ignorance.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BERBA wrote: »
    and then more or less got em relegated from the championship:rolleyes:
    Yeah 'cause promoted clubs are always expected to stay up.

He left the club in a much better position than when he took them over. even if they did get relegated, they would have still been a division higher. I'm not saying he's an amazing manager, certainly not good enough for the Premiership at the moment imo, but you can't just ignore what he has achieved with them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That_Guy wrote: »
    I can see the point in a way but tbh it just stinks of ignorance.

I don't think it does. Why didn't Laws get a thread so?

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't think it does. Why didn't Laws get a thread so?

I don't know.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Hopefully United appoint him now..
    thegen wrote: »
    Daddy couldn't stop it
    Gillington wrote: »
    United's B team.Maybe Mike Phelan can take over
    mixednuts wrote: »
    1 down 1 to go. ;)

Above was posted by the time I arrived so excuse me for thinking it was started to have some sort of dig at Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

only for daddy he would be a nobody......oh he IS a nobody.....Darren who?? exactly...........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yeah 'cause promoted clubs are always expected to stay up.

He left the club in a much better position than when he took them over. even if they did get relegated, they would have still been a division higher. I'm not saying he's an amazing manager, certainly not good enough for the Premiership at the moment imo, but you can't just ignore what he has achieved with them.
    Jumping two divisions is phenomenal there is no way u can expect your team to jump two divisions with the same players petersborough where hardly rolling in it either so it would be difficult to replace players as you go up as well.

I think he did really well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

dfx- wrote: »
    (Not) Surprised there's no reaction to that. Very spiteful.

Typical Fergie...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am a Man Utd fan but that is very spiteful and very immature of Fergie to act in this way with no consideration to those young players that were on loan there :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dfx- wrote: »
    (Not) Surprised there's no reaction to that. Very spiteful.

its disgraceful imo, blackmailing clubs into hiring your son (or not firing him in this case)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I think he's right. They just sacked his Son, why should he continue to help them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I think he's right. They just sacked his Son, why should he continue to help them out

1) For the development of the youngsters in question.

2) Professionalism & Fair play.

It smacks of bullying and politics and should be soundly condemned by everyone, it has no place in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

karma_ wrote: »
    1) For the development of the youngsters in question.

2) Professionalism & Fair play.

It smacks of bullying and politics and should be soundly condemned by everyone, it has no place in sport.

Agree that its unprofessional, but I dont know where you're getting the bullying aspect from?

Preston knew that in appointing Darren Ferguson, that it was likely that ManU would do them a few turns. Similarly, they knew that in sacking Darren, this would stop. Its hardly surprising

If you felt your Son had been harshly sacked, would you continue to support his previous employer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

If you felt your Son had been harshly sacked, would you continue to support his previous employer?

It's a two way street is the whole concept of loaning players. The Parent club get to have their young talent get first team experience while the lower league team get the benefit of good young talent.

The agreement should always be kept professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hypothetical (and a bit odd) scenario.

You run a large company.

A smaller company hires your son.

You give said company the loan of some good young admin staff.

Smaller company then sacks your son.

Sure it's only fair that I let said company keep those staff till their up on their feet.

Me arse you do. You recall them immediately. Those people that are saying that it's spiteful are being, frankly, idiotic and a touch hypocritical.

Tony Pulis has withdrawn Tonge and Pugh from loan at Preston since the sacking, please draw your hatred towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hypothetical (and a bit odd) scenario.

You run a large company.

A smaller company hires your son.

You give said company the loan of some good young admin staff.

Smaller company then sacks your son.

Sure it's only fair that I let said company keep those staff till their up on their feet.

Me arse you do. You recall them immediately. Those people that are saying that it's spiteful are being, frankly, idiotic and a touch hypocritical.
    In fairness this isn't admin staff this is playing staff that won't get any experience unless they play

As a Peterborough Fan and having had first hand experience of DF managerial abilities, we at Posh have a lot to be grateful for. There is no doubt he is a good manager in his own right and some of the Sh*te spouted about being in the job cause of his Daddy is rubbish and just shows a level of ignorance about lower league football which is not surprising coming from the glory brigade.

He had superb backing from our Irish chairman who’s policy is to buy good young talent get two three seasons out of them then sell on for a profit (Mclean being sold to Hull being a good example), this was some what of a lottery for DF as he did uncover some gems but most of which were not good enough for the Championship which was his reason for leaving, given the circumstance he did a great job, he also made the point of not loaning any players from Man U in his first two years of Posh boss as he wanted to show he was his own man.

We are eternally grateful despite his toys out the pram attitude after 16 games into the Championship season; he is a good manger and will prove to be just that in the coming years I have no doubt, as long as he takes more assistance on the defensive side of coaching he will be back stronger and better equipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Exactly. The loans ( i assume) were probably in place as a favour because of the personal relationship and now it's over. Harsh but understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tony Pulis has withdrawn Tonge and Pugh from loan at Preston since the sacking, please draw your hatred towards him.

I'd like to say exactly what I think about Pulis, but I wouldn't be on this forum too long.

He's a ''look at me'' manager who's so far up Ferguson's arsehole that it's unreal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement