Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Brennan Memorial 5k - New Years Day

• 29-12-2010 7:30pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, who's in? You can pay in €20 on the day, and it's in the Pheonix Park.

I haven't decided for certain yet, but I think it might be a nice way to ring in the new year with my very first race :P.

Edit: C'mon, someone's got to be doing a new year's day race :P

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 5 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    60%
    Timmaaysurfjunkytunguska 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    40%
    chinguettiBeepBeep67 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Im hoping to do it but it all depends how much i drink the night before. it will be interesting to see how much difference my christmas weight makes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Whether or not I do this depends directly on how I recover from today's long run, and on whether I end up going out on Friday night. :pac:

(I'd like to though, because it's over a year since I did a 5k)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

20 squids for a 5km.......(just ending the year on a moan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

3 stars (average)
    Where's registration on the day?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Apparently, you register on the Furze road.
    The New Years Day Challenge Tom Brennan Memorial 5k Road Race in The Phoenix Park in Dublin’s Phoenix Park @ 1 p.m. definetely goes ahead on Saturday next January 1st.

Last years race fell foul of the snow but this year there is no such problem. Indeed for those whose running has been curtailed by the recent snowy weather this is an ideal opportunity to get back into action on a nice fast flat course.

Entries will be taken on the day up to 30 minutes before the start at the registration tent on The Furze Road.

Further details on www.liffeyvalleyac.com.

Information and assistance from Nick Davis 087 2286913

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Where's registration on the day?

Furze road.

Considering it. Will probably head to the park for a run on NYD anyway. Depends, might want to run further. I think it starts at 1pm anyway doesn't it? Give you some time to sleep off the hangover(and the pubs will be open for post race beers)

Give you some time to sleep off the hangover(and the pubs will be open for post race beers)
    *cough* Ryans *cough*

ultraman1 wrote: »
    20 squids for a 5km.......(just ending the year on a moan)

Well if you'd reg'd online before the 15th December, you'd have only needed pay 15. Anyway, it's an excuse to get rid of all those nasty squids infecting the place...

squidbio.jpg

3 stars (average)
    ^+^^ Thanks - where's the best place to park, will have the gang with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

^+^^ Thanks - where's the best place to park, will have the gang with me?
    Should be able to park close to the Furze road on Chesterfield avenue. So going for a time?

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Should be able to park close to the Furze road on Chesterfield avenue. So going for a time?

Cheers - I'll try to get there before 1 ;)

Cheers - I'll try to get there before 1 ;)

Well if you haven't already registered I think you've to do so before 12? :confused:

I hope everyone's fresh as a daisy for this afternoon's race :P. I'm pretty nervous but I'm sure it'll be grand :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    Well that was a bit painful and proves that i'm gone back a bit due to injury and weather. Aimed to beat 21 and got 20.25 so can't complain and a good benchmark to lower as the year goes on. Seemed to be a good crowd at it and the weather behaved.

Its quite odd running a race around the Furze Road when you normally just use it as part of a training route but all in all, a nice way to start the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    I think it starts at 1pm anyway doesn't it? Give you some time to sleep off the hangover

That was badly needed this morning ha, I was anything but fresh as a daisy!

Well it was my very first race... and it sucked :P. I came paddy last. I ran waaaaaaay too fast to start off with so I ended up walking and running most of it. Gun time was 38:11, and I'm just happy for now that it's under 40 :pac:.

I was expecting a few more beginners for a bit of a fun 5k, but it was all you fast people :P Feck's sake like.

Well it was my very first race... and it sucked :P. I came paddy last. I ran waaaaaaay too fast to start off with so I ended up walking and running most of it. Gun time was 38:11, and I'm just happy for now that it's under 40 :pac:.

I was expecting a few more beginners for a bit of a fun 5k, but it was all you fast people :P Feck's sake like.
    Now you've got a target to beat for the next one! Get a few more weeks of good training in and do the St Patrick's festival one in the city centre.

Haha yeah the good thing about a slow time is that it'll be easy to PB the next one (once I learn to pace myself anyway :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drakefan

Great race this afternoon, great day and course -anyone think course was long though?Came up on my garmin as 131m long...Didn't see who won, assume Fionnula anyway won the womens?

^ Don't think so... My garmin said 3.19 but I forgot to stop it as I crossed the finish line and only thought of it about 2 mins later :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

mine was 3.18, so 0.8m over by my garmin. Thats ok.

I can't say I enjoyed this one because 5kms are torture but a great race, well organised. Good job Liffey Valley.

chinguetti, that was me chatting to you and your Bro Menoscemo :D dead ringer. I never introduced myself properly.

Any results out by any chance?

3 stars (average)
    Results

Not a great one for me, but good to get a run out and lay down a marker.
    Well organised - well done Liffey Valley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    chinguetti, that was me chatting to you and your Bro Menoscemo :D dead ringer. QUOTE]

'My brother' took a bit of offence to that i think but i enjoyed it no end;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    'My brother' took a bit of offence to that i think but i enjoyed it no end;)

Proper order. You should feel proud that someone thought you came from the same genetic stock as me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Good race. Poor turnout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)

That link just gave me a few of the womens results. Any idea where we can get the full list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    That link just gave me a few of the womens results. Any idea where we can get the full list?

Just click on the tab marked 'individuals' along the bottom of the spreadsheet. That result appears to be only the over 40 Women.

What happened you at the race by the way? Aero was saying you must have turned up late?

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Just click on the tab marked 'individuals' along the bottom of the spreadsheet. That result appears to be only the over 40 Women.

What happened you at the race by the way? Aero was saying you must have turned up late?

Cheers. No wasnt late, didnt know if calve muscle I injured in the marathon would hold up to fast running. So took the first 2k handy, put the hammer down after that. Will give aware 10k a proper go.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

4 stars (good)
    Thought you guys might be interested, I took some videos of the start and finish of this race and put them up on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/user/leggingit

I thought it was the best organised race I've ever seen although being a LV runner I'm a little biased. Great weather for it, cold and no wind, was gutted not to be taking part, nursing an injury now but hopefully get back on form soon.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    surfjunky wrote: »
    Thought you guys might be interested, I took some videos of the start and finish of this race and put them up on youtube here http://www.youtube.com/user/leggingit

I thought it was the best organised race I've ever seen although being a LV runner I'm a little biased. Great weather for it, cold and no wind, was gutted not to be taking part, nursing an injury now but hopefully get back on form soon.

That was some finishing battle between the two lads at 3:50 in the finishing clip. Misty floyds finish was barely noticed as a result. Weird looking at yourself running. You imagine you're hoofin' it big time but on camera you look like you're out for a stroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    That was some finishing battle between the two lads at 3:50 in the finishing clip.

Ha, that was me in the yellow UCD singlet! Yourman had been on my tail from the 3rd km, and tried to creep by on the finish straight, but balls to that, I had not put in all that effort keeping him behind for 2km only to let him by on the sprint finish!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ha, that was me in the yellow UCD singlet
    ! Yourman had been on my tail from the 3rd km, and tried to creep by on the finish straight, but balls to that, I had not put in all that effort keeping him behind for 2km only to let him by on the sprint finish!!!

Thats funny, he told me he let u win the sprint.!

Advertisement