Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Wolves 29/12/2010 Sky Sports1 and HD1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The string-em-up brigade are out I see with regards Hodgson. Never the players's fault is it? Barnes was right in what he said before the match, but anyways, well done to Mick and the Irish lads. Foley played well I thought.
    Buck stops with the manager, alway's has alway's will. That's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

How many new players are needed? New back 4, 2 wingers and at least 1 striker. Thats a shedload of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The string-em-up brigade are out I see with regards Hodgson. Never the players's fault is it? Barnes was right in what he said before the match, but anyways, well done to Mick and the Irish lads. Foley played well I thought.
    Hodgson obviously placed a gypsy curse on the team that prevented them from even attempting to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

firstly, well done wolves. deserved your win and showed that that they can play football. If they can keep up to that level even half of whats left, they might just pull it off.

We were shocking tonight. No ideas, no width, no hunger to actually do anything with the ball, or show for it. No one really comes out of that game with any credit tbh. Torres was awful, Ngog is a trier but touch was awful, Gerrard looked like someone way off the pace, in fairness he has been out for ages now. Even Pepe, who normally has great distribution looked broken. Hmmmmmm

The players have to shoulder a lot of blame, true, but it begins with how you put the team out, the way that you want them to play, what you say to them in the dressing room or training. All that falls to the manager, and all those counts Roy has failed miserably tonight and on many other occasions this season. I'm not sure what it is, or how he's managed to get it so wrong. Its obvious now though that this isn't going to change and that it's just not working. JWH and co need to bite the bullet on this one, a change is needed, even now at a time i normally think its bonkers to change the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Did you think it was the player's fault when Benitez was getting slagged off last season?

Hodgson was only appointed due to the H&G mess in the summer and the sooner all links with that era are finished with the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Aidric wrote: »
    Hearty congratulations to Wolves.

Well deserved their win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

It's never the players fault, is it? Rafa players defended by Rafa fans like.

I mean, how can Roy 'gets the best out of his players' Hodgson be blamed for star players not turning up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hodgson obviously placed a gypsy curse on the team that prevented them from even attempting to win.

That gypsy curse is Roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

That was absolutely disgraceful yet funnily enough still probably wasn't our worst performance of the season which tells you something in itself. So many things were wrong tonight

1. Why split up a very effective partnership (albeit only at home) in the middle with putting gerrard in the centre instead of meireles.
    2. Why did he take ngog off instead of torres. They were both ****e but babel and ngog have done well up top in previous games and ngog was at least putting in a greater effort than Torres.
    3. Why bring on Cole who has yet to play one decent game in a red shirt this year and leave Maxi on the bench who has began to start performing in recent games.
    4. The defence, dear god, would you just play aurelio already. He's ten times the player of Konchesky. Please, play Agger instead of Skrtel, Skrtel has proved himself to be dodgy as fcuk and when Martin Kelly comes back please put him straight in instead of Johnson, he does not deserve toi be in a Liverpool team, some of his passes were disgraceful.

Rant over :p Had to get that off my chest. Oh and I suppose Woy out is appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Muppet wrote: »
    How many of tonights players were signed in the summer?

Who gives a f*ck??? He's managing them and he has turned them into a bottom half team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did you think it was the player's fault when Benitez was getting slagged off last season?

Did you? Was it the fault of the players when Rafa was there but now Hodgson is there it's the fault of Hodgson? That's convenient.

The players just aren't pulling their weight, including the big players like Torres. That's the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Did you? Was it the fault of the players when Rafa was there but now Hodgson is there it's the fault of Hodgson? That's convenient.

The players just aren't pulling their weight, including the big players like Torres. That's the reality.

Never anywhere near this bad under Benitez. If he was still in charge, Sky would be absolutely murdering him!

Why aren't the players pulling their weight? That's the real question. Hodgson is patently out of his depth and the sooner he goes the better. That's quite clear.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can their ever be a thread where Rafa isnt mentioned? And Im talking about the same arguments going round and around and around.

I guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

1. Why split up a very effective partnership (albeit only at home) in the middle with putting gerrard in the centre instead of meireles.
    On this one it's because Gerrard has too much power he always says he's best through the middle remember an interview before where he said he suffered because of his ability to play anywhere in midfield and that he was really a central midfielder?
    2. Why did he take ngog off instead of torres. They were both ****e but babel and ngog have done well up top in previous games and ngog was at least putting in a greater effort than Torres.
    You can't really take Torres off he's the player that can produce that one moment of magic even if he does nothing for 90 minutes but that moment can you imagine what people would be saying if he took him off and N'Gog didn't make a difference?
    3. Why bring on Cole who has yet to play one decent game in a red shirt this year and leave Maxi on the bench who has began to start performing in recent games.
    This is because Hodgson seems to believe his english players hype Cole has been dreadful this year yet tomorrow they will say spirited cole .... almost made the difference.... Cole unfortunate not to equalize etc etc
    4. The defence, dear god, would you just play aurelio already. He's ten times the player of Konchesky. Please, play Agger instead of Skrtel, Skrtel has proved himself to be dodgy as fcuk and when Martin Kelly comes back please put him straight in instead of Johnson, he does not deserve toi be in a Liverpool team, some of his passes were disgraceful.
    This one i would guess Agger isn't 100% fit yet Aurelio if he still can't play a full 90 minutes should be gotten rid of asap, Skrtel should go as well bring someone like scott dan in half the wages twice the defender

Edit not defending him but I think Gerrard and Cole and Carragher have too much influence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone who stands behind a statement tonight of giving Liverpool fans grieve for wanting Hodgson out is a troll or a fcuking moron!

I know most of you who are firing out the crap like its never the players fault etc might actually believe some fans are that fickle but only because you haven't actually watched the bumbling mess of a man both on and off the field with as much detail as most Liverpool fans have endured but then your still a fcuking moron for commenting about things your clearly ill informed on.

Let me echo it again - GET OUT ROY!

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Can their ever be a thread where Rafa isnt mentioned? And Im talking about the same arguments going round and around and around.

I guess not.

Rafa's Diciples wouldn't have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

How much of a charitable donation would it take for you to **** off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Back onto the ignore list you go. ****ing clown of a poster tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Theres only so much a manager can do in my opinion. This core group of players also put in some shocking performances last season when Rafa was in charge don't forget.
    Saying that, Hodgson's managerial record speaks for itself, especially away from home. He should not be anywhere near a club with top 4 aspirations.

We as Liverpool fans need to take a long hard luck at some of these players who we often champion as being top players. Skrtel, Torres, Meireles, Kuyt these are senior players who we need to see alot more from.

This particular group needs a manager who will frighten the ****e out of them. Its a sad state of affairs that Torres will never be dropped, he has been piss poor and I mean ABSOLUTELY PISS POOR. And for all Roy's failings, your job is alot harder when big players don't work for you.

Lets put tonight into perspective, we have been beaten and deservedly by a side with one point away from home all season. The manager is not up to it, but this group of players we have are also certainly not up to it. Say whatever you want about lack of motivation or whatever, but really top players make things happen against the likes of Wolves.

I am at my wits end hearing excuses for Torres poor form. Lack of confidence, lack of service, lack of fitness etc...... Your baseline is you work your ass off if things are not happening for you. He is not doing this, and those who say body language means nothing need their heads examined in this instance. The bloke is not interested. His all round play is just shocking. Now I am racking my brains trying to remember a game where he played really well without scoring. Most of the time his inadequacies are hidden by the fact he has popped up with a goal. He can look classy at times but he can also look extremely poor. And this is a lad with a huge standing in the game, seen as one of the best strikers in the world.

opr wrote: »
    Anyone who stands behind a statement tonight of giving Liverpool fans grieve for wanting Hodgson out is a troll or a fcuking moron!

I know most of you who are firing out the crap like its never the players fault etc might actually believe some fans are that fickle but only because you haven't actually watched the bumbling mess of a man both on and off the field with as much detail as most Liverpool fans have endured but then your still a fcuking moron for commenting about things your clearly ill informed on.

Let me echo it again - GET OUT ROY!

Opr

I've actually recently changed my opinion of Woy and now think he's not the man for the job, that said I don't think Liverpools woes are all his fault.

• Advertisement

I've actually recently changed my opinion of Woy and now think he's is not the man for the job, that said I don't think Liverpools woes are all his fault.
    Nobody thinks it is all his fault

How much of a charitable donation would it take for you to **** off?

make me an offer.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Roy obviously has to leave, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the players are equally to blame for recent performances.

Nobody thinks it is all his fault

some of them obviously do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

You know what ...

You really do epitomise your user name !

Roy obviously has to leave, but that doesn't change the fact that some of the players are equally to blame for recent performances.
    It's the same as I was saying last season - I agree with you, but the manager continues to pick the same underperforming players and fail to motivate them and play the same defensive tactics every week

make me an offer.:D

I'll start the bidding at fifty quid. I'm sure we could have a whip round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I've actually recently changed my opinion of Woy and now think he's not the man for the job

Well done for coming to the correct conclusion several months late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

At least the club are saving a few quid on bonus's this year !!

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    You know what ...

You really do epitomise your user name !

you know what, if you read the thread instead of acting like a baby you would see it for yourself.

it'll take a lot more than that.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

but if you are going to use that logic then its never the managers fault, the blame should always fall on the players and no manager should ever get the sack; the buck has to stop with the manager, look at spurs couple of season back, under ramos they were bottom, redknapp comes in and they go on a long winning run with the same players i might add

so far this season liverpool have lost at home to team from the 2nd division, been well beat by blackpool and lost to a team with the worst away record in the entire country never mind the premiership, their away record is relegation material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Hitzfield or Deschamps please be here tomorrow after I wake up from this horrible ****ing nightmare.

*rubs face*

shotamoose wrote: »
    Well done for coming to the correct conclusion several months late.

Call me old fashioned but I believe in giving new managers time to make their changes. It obvious that Roy will not be given that by a section of pool fans so he should go,

Call me old fashioned but I believe in giving new managers time to make their changes. It obvious that Roy will not be given that by a section of pool fans so he should go,

So you still think he should be kept on as manager?

• Advertisement

So you still think he should be kept on as manager?

can you read?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

did you not just say he wasn't the man for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Mister men wrote: »
    How many of those same players finished 2nd the season before last and now face a relagation battle because of Hodgson?

8 of 14 from tonight played in 4-0 against Real Madrid at the same ground.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7899615.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Id throw in 20 for charity if he doesn't post in a thread about Liverpool for the rest of the season! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Roy Hodgson has done next to nothing in terms of silverware in 35 odd years of management, nothing. He is a complete shambles and will and never was good enough for a huge club like Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Words from woy......
    Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson: "It was a performance way below what we are capable of and what we wanted to give. I'd like to give Wolves credit, but I think we were a bit unlucky to lose the game, probably 0-0 would have been a fair result. But it was nowhere near our expectations or hopes."

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson: "It was a bad day at the office, there was plenty of effort but no end product and the players are very disappointed in there. The fans have left angry and that's understandable. However, it would be dangerous to clear a lot of players out on the basis of one game. We wanted our renaissance to start today, but it hasn't happened. Panic would be the wrong thing to do but I'm not the sole arbiter of that."

Id throw in 20 for charity if he doesn't post in a thread about Liverpool for the rest of the season! :D

A grand to next years SSF and ye have a deal.

I've actually recently changed my opinion of Woy and now think he's not the man for the job, that said I don't think Liverpools woes are all his fault.
    can you read?

First he's not the man for the job, and then he should be sacked only because of a section of fans think he should go. Which is it?

First he's not the man for the job, and then he should be sacked only because of a section of fans think he should go. Which is it

Er both, how about he's not the man for the job because the players wont play for him and a growing section of fans don't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    but if you are going to use that logic then its never the managers fault, the blame should always fall on the players and no manager should ever get the sack; the buck has to stop with the manager, look at spurs couple of season back, under ramos they were bottom, redknapp comes in and they go on a long winning run with the same players i might add

so far this season liverpool have lost at home to team from the 2nd division, been well beat by blackpool and lost to a team with the worst away record in the entire country never mind the premiership, their away record is relegation material

But as Barnes said before the game if you apply the 'buck stops with the manager' line then there is no incentive for the underperforming players to pull the finger out because they know if they don't perform then the manager will carry the can - which is exactly what is happening on this board and I imagine others.

Barnes actually went further when asked what people in the area thought of Hodgson and said something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'those that understand realise the manager needs support' so according to him the fans around Liverpool are aware that the players are just not doing enough.

I think Torres has had a terrible year, Gerrard was getting criticised last season by the fans as well, Johnson has been a terrible signing, Ngog doesn't look good enough either imo and while I'd agree signings like Konchesky and Cole have disappointed, I think Hodgson is dealing with a lot of dross from the previous manager. Plus let's be honest some teams don't necesarily do better when the manager goes - look at West Ham and Villa for instance, and there were a lot of fans on the net calling for McCarthy's head and now they're all smiles.

I agree with Barnes that Liverpool fans should get behind Hodgson in what is evidently a transitional period for the club. Just my take on it. I'm sure the Hodgson out brigade will continue cussing the man and screaming for his head rather than the overpaid prima donnas strolling about the pitch. If the players were affected by the results as much as Hodgson clearly is though then the team would be far better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If the players were affected by the results as much as Hodgson clearly is though then the team would be far better off.

he didn't seem too affected when he was smiling and laughing after everton beat them at goodison ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But as Barnes said before the game if you apply the 'buck stops with the manager' line then there is no incentive for the underperforming players to pull the finger out because they know if they don't perform then the manager will carry the can - which is exactly what is happening on this board and I imagine others.

Barnes actually went further when asked what people in the area thought of Hodgson and said something like (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'those that understand realise the manager needs support' so according to him the fans around Liverpool are aware that the players are just not doing enough.

I think Torres has had a terrible year, Gerrard was getting criticised last season by the fans as well, Johnson has been a terrible signing, Ngog doesn't look good enough either imo and while I'd agree signings like Konchesky and Cole have disappointed, I think Hodgson is dealing with a lot of dross from the previous manager. Plus let's be honest some teams don't necesarily do better when the manager goes - look at West Ham and Villa for instance, and there were a lot of fans on the net calling for McCarthy's head and now they're all smiles.

I agree with Barnes that Liverpool fans should get behind Hodgson in what is evidently a transitional period for the club. Just my take on it. I'm sure the Hodgson out brigade will continue cussing the man and screaming for his head rather than the overpaid prima donnas strolling about the pitch. If the players were affected by the results as much as Hodgson clearly is though then the team would be far better off.

Oh **** off, last year it was the managers fault; now it's the players. Cool story bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

hodgson is the one playing players out of position. Meireles didnt go out tonight and say "**** it am sick of centre mid might have a go out right for the craic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Er both, how about he's not the man for the job because the players wont play for him and a growing section of fans don't want him.

Nothing about his actual performance as manager then. I take back what I said about you coming to the right conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Have to say that rush out by the wolves players for skrtels offside goal was timed to perfection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement