Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Simulator

• 29-12-2010 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Looking for some information on getting a Flight Simulator game of some sort except I don't have a clue as to what to look for :o
    Something that you could fly Boeing's and Airbus.

If it helps I'm using a Windows 7 with 4Mb ( i think) RAM.

Andy if this isen't the right place then move it by all means.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Welcome to Aviation and Aircraft mle1324. Thats another airsofter to the forum :D

Id suggest trying out Microsoft flight simulator X or Microsoft flight simulator 2004. I think game/gamestop should have it if not pc world and currys tend to carry them.

Moved to Virtual Flying sub forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

andy_g wrote: »
    Welcome to Aviation and Aircraft mle1324. Thats another airsofter to the forum :D

Id suggest trying out Microsoft flight simulator X or Microsoft flight simulator 2004. I think game/gamestop should have it if not pc world and currys tend to carry them.

Moved to Virtual Flying sub forum.

Thanks Andy :)

Would I need any controllers or would the laptop keyboard be good enough ?

EDIT : Didn't even realize that there was a sub-forum for my question :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

The Joystick i had when i started in flightsims a few years back was the microsoft sidewinder range and then i upgraded to the saitek range as they are more realistic.

But it also depends how much you want to spend on everything.

andy_g wrote: »
    The Joystick i had when i started in flightsims a few years back was the microsoft sidewinder range and then i upgraded to the saitek range as they are more realistic.

But it also depends how much you want to spend on everything.

Looks like a good deal ?

Seller has a disclaimer stating that it might not work on anything newer then Vista :rolleyes:

Well if i did need a joystick i'd get it after I get the game and would be willing to spend bout 45-55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Keep an eye on adverts, I picked up an x-52 for €50 a while back, they're 3x that in the shops. People buy them, use them for a few weeks then sell them at a bargain when they stuck for cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭dnme

FSX Gold Bargain here. £16 delivered. Got this myself just before xmas. Verified!
    http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/pc/flight-simulator-x-gold-edition/9994409.html

dnme wrote: »
    FSX Gold Bargain here. £16 delivered. Got this myself just before xmas. Verified!
    http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/platforms/pc/flight-simulator-x-gold-edition/9994409.html

Windows 7 ?

What joystick are you using, thats if your using one :)

mle1324 wrote: »
    Windows 7 ?

What joystick are you using, thats if your using one :)

Yea, Windows 7 64bit on a decent spec machine. I am using a Saitek x52 Pro Joystick/Throttle set.

Question.

It takes 4 hours to fly from Dublin to the Canaries. If yea where to do the same with the simulator how long is the flight ? :)

Just looking there, the price of the x52 joystick seem to be quite high.

What would be the next best thing to the x52 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

It takes 4 hours to fly from Dublin to the Canaries. If yea where to do the same with the simulator how long is the flight ? :)

4 hours.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

What would your opinion of the second link be ? :)
    testicle wrote: »
    4 hours.

Deadly :D

Is there any save and resume feature in the game by any chance ?

Sorry for all the noob questions :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Is there any save and resume feature in the game by any chance ?

Yep :)

mle1324

There's a x52 Pro for sale on adverts atm for 80quid. Might be able to haggle a bit etc
    http://www.adverts.ie/383727

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    mle1324

There's a x52 Pro for sale on adverts atm for 80quid. Might be able to haggle a bit etc
    http://www.adverts.ie/383727

Thanks dnme, Im kind of on a budget here so even 80 quid is a still out of my price range and thats why I'm curious to know what the Cyborg is like as I'd be willing to buy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The cyborg should be fine for starting out with flight sim. The things you need to look out for in a joystick are a twist rudder, throttle lever of some sort and as many buttons/toggle switches as possible. Any joystick you can pick up with the above will be fine for you for the start. If you think you will be sticking with the flight sims you can always buy a higher end joystick or yoke/pedals setup in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You don't need a very fancy stick for flight sim. At least not starting out.

You don't mention your graphics card. You need a graphics card for the sim to work. whats the rest of your spec?

BostonB wrote: »
    You don't need a very fancy stick for flight sim. At least not starting out.

You don't mention your graphics card. You need a graphics card for the sim to work. whats the rest of your spec?

My Laptop

Doesn't make much sense to me of what half of spec's mean in the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

My Laptop

Doesn't make much sense to me of what half of spec's mean in the link.

Timeout error:L

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Timeout error:L

manufacturer : ATI
    type : ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics
    memory : total available graphics memory can be up to 1,407 MB with a 32-bit operating system and 3 GB system memory or 1,471 MB with a 64-bit operating system and 4 GB system memory
    memory type : shared

Here's the spec's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Is your laptop the SATELLITE L450D-128? Flight simulator is more dependant on your CPU's processing power than the graphics card. If thats the right laptop I have mentioned then you have a dual core AMD X2 CPU @2.1Ghz, 4GB Ram and Windows 7 64bit. Your graphics chip is integrated onto the motherboard rather than having a standalone card. This is not ideal but you may be able to run Flight Simulator at low to medium settings.

Download the free demo
    Install the demo, preferably on a separate partition to your operating system. ie Windows will be on C: Install to D: if you have the option.
    Exit ALL other programs while you are running the FSX demo.
    Experiment with the settings to see if you can run the demo comfortably.
    If you can then you are good to go.

I've attached a settings guide to get you started.

Cheers, yep that's the model I have :)

I'll try and see if the demo will save onto the D drive.

Started the download, should be finished in about half and hour or so.

Will post back when It's finished.

Thanks again bandit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think you still need a graphics card. FSX stuggles on my laptop which is a dualcore2, 2Ghz with a Go7900. FS2004 runs much better. And looks the same once you turned FSX graphics down.

Downloaded the Demo last night (took 2 hours).

All was fine with it, graphics were okay, wouldn't go mad about them.

Im gonna have a talk with someone who usually helps me out with my computer problems and see what he says.

Thanks again people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Delivered to ROI?

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    Delivered to ROI?

Yes

Advertisement