Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router

Options
  • 29-12-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am an Xbox user and had to change my router from a Netopia to a Zyxel as my Netopia died.I can connect to Xbox Live fine but I lose my connection quite regularly.

Is there anything I can do or could Eircom replace this router with one that won't lose the connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

blackbelt wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an Xbox user and had to change my router from a Netopia to a Zyxel as my Netopia died.I can connect to Xbox Live fine but I lose my connection quite regularly.

Is there anything I can do or could Eircom replace this router with one that won't lose the connection?

Set the Zykel Router connection to be always on. If the Router is still in warranty then they may replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Vanbis wrote: »
    Set the Zykel Router connection to be always on. If the Router is still in warranty then they may replace it.

Hi Vanbis,

Thanks for your query and sorry for the delay getting back.
    It sounds like you may be getting an intermittent connection, or intermittent sync, problem, rather than a problem with your games console.
    However, if you don't have problems with viewing websites or general Internet connections on other web-based devices, then it may be an issue with the games console, firewall, router, etc...
    If the latter, please skip the next steps and go straight to FIREWALL /ROUTER SETTINGS.. below :
    In most cases intermittent sync is caused by interference on the internal phone line system
    In order to rule in /or out where this problem lies, can you please try the following quick broadband checklist : http://bit.ly/cTw6pU
    Once you have done this and still feel you are having intermittent connection issues, please PM me your home phone number and I will investigate further.

FIREWALL /ROUTER SETTINGS
    For game consoles, including xbox, ps3, there's really no need to open specific ports, or to set up port forwarding on the router. Lowering the firewall is all that is really required. Other than this our Technical Support team will advise that you contact the game vendor. Please see further information below:
    If you wish to change NAT settings or open ports, then we would advise to contact the game vendor (e.g: xbox support) and they can give you the individual port changes, etc.

We have a large community of Internet Web-based game users who have absolutely no problems with playing games on xbox, PS3, etc.
    Once they have lowered their firewall they are able to successfully use their Internet connection with their games consoles.
    If you wish to lower the router firewall please see the step by step guide on Eircom's self-help Video Tutorials: www.eircom.net/tutorials - games console set-up (logging on to router via IP Address, etc.)
    If you are using the eircom Zyxel Modem, it is basically the same. However, you may need to log on to the router with the password : broadband1. Once you log on to the router interface, just click on 'Security' on the listed menu, then select 'Firewall', and then set the firewall to 'low'.
    You can also try to increase Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User to 4096 ; try also set the Re-Authentication Timer to 9999
    Other useful links:
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/xbox.htm
    http://portforward.com/
    xbox setup
    xbox support contact no : for Xbox

Web:
    Xbox Support
    E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com
    Phone:
    1800 509 186 (9-10 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-8, 9-5 Sun)
    PlayStation Support 0818 365 065 (local)
    www.ie.playstation.com/help-support

I hope this helps.
    Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Season's greetings
    Ant

Advertisement