Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania....again!

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I bought 2 portable dvd players from this crowd for xmas and while they both worked when opened on xmas morning one screen was never as bright or clear as the other... i put it down to the dvd that was being watched at the time. Xmas night the screen went on it totally, pure black couldnt see a thing although the dvd was still playing and we could still hear it. emailed them and they said they wouldnt take it back at all as it was out of the 15 day moneyback guarantee period. emailed them back telling them again it was faulty and that I wanted it replaced. They told me contact the manufacturer. i refused as they were the seller so there responsibility to sort it out. they emailed back saying send it to them by registered post to france and they will repair it but it will take a month from when they receive it.

So my question is do i have to accept a repair or can i stand my ground and see if they will replace it?

they are totally driving me mad! the bloody yoke worked for less than 6 hours and at that it didnt work great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

go straight to the manufacturer they should replace straight away pixnightmare is what i call them

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

massy086 wrote: »
    go straight to the manufacturer they should replace straight away pixnightmare is what i call them

I did try that but to no avail but I will say i was greatful for a friendly response from them rather than the automatic bull that pixmania send! I see why you call them pixnightmare!! if id read this forum im have thought twice before ordering from them! I actually thought they had an irish base which they dont seem to have at all!!

Ill not get caught by them again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

GismoBaby wrote: »
    So my question is do i have to accept a repair or can i stand my ground and see if they will replace it?

You don't have to accept their offer, but they have made an offer, which is all they legally need to do. In order to refuse that, you need a good reason (I don't want a repair is not a good reason). In order to force an outcome, you would need to use the court, if you can't come to an agreement between you and the retailer. It is unlikely that the court would side with you, as you are being unreasonable now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What did the manufacturer say?

I would normally say to go back to the retailer but Pixmania are so fúcking useful that you'll end up wasting months of your time with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

What did the manufacturer say?

I would normally say to go back to the retailer but Pixmania are so fúcking useful that you'll end up wasting months of your time with them.
    I tried the manufacturer route with a camera ,got nowhere .That crowd (pixmania) make cowboys look good . Worst gang I have ever dealt with in my life .

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You don't have to accept their offer, but they have made an offer, which is all they legally need to do. In order to refuse that, you need a good reason (I don't want a repair is not a good reason). In order to force an outcome, you would need to use the court, if you can't come to an agreement between you and the retailer. It is unlikely that the court would side with you, as you are being unreasonable now.

how am i being unreasonable? The product was faulty from when it was taken out of the box and im expected to wait over a month for a repair for something that was faulty that soon? I would have no problem getting it repaired if id had it a while but in fairness to not even get a day out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

how am i being unreasonable? The product was faulty from when it was taken out of the box and im expected to wait over a month for a repair for something that was faulty that soon? I would have no problem getting it repaired if id had it a while but in fairness to not even get a day out of it!

Irish consumer law states that you should receive a repair, replacement or refund. It is up to the retailer to offer you one, which you can accept or reject. You can try to negotiate but as long as the retailer's offer is reasonable, then they have met their legal requirement.

In this case, a repair is a reasonable offer. It is not an essential item, so you can manage without it for a month. You are entitled to assume that any repair should be "permanent" - i.e. last the lifetime of the product, so if the fault recurs or still exists after the repair, then you can refuse further repairs, and insist instead on a refund/replacement.

All I have described above is in line with Irish consumer law. As Pixmania are an online company, I'm not sure which country's legislation they follow. However, you are resident in Ireland, so I think it's reasonable to follow Irish law in this case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dudara wrote: »
    Irish consumer law states that you should receive a repair, replacement or refund. It is up to the retailer to offer you one, which you can accept or reject. You can try to negotiate but as long as the retailer's offer is reasonable, then they have met their legal requirement.

In this case, a repair is a reasonable offer. It is not an essential item, so you can manage without it for a month. You are entitled to assume that any repair should be "permanent" - i.e. last the lifetime of the product, so if the fault recurs or still exists after the repair, then you can refuse further repairs, and insist instead on a refund/replacement.

All I have described above is in line with Irish consumer law. As Pixmania are an online company, I'm not sure which country's legislation they follow. However, you are resident in Ireland, so I think it's reasonable to follow Irish law in this case.

Pixmania operate under French law. European Consumer Centre would be the place to start. Sorry, OP, but wave goodbye to weeks of your life that you won't get back.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

im expected to wait over a month for a repair for something that was faulty that soon? I would have no problem getting it repaired if id had it a while but in fairness to not even get a day out of it!

You could have bought it from an electronics retailer close to you. The repair turnaround might have been quicker.

You get what you pay for, online, and all the hassles that go with it, if stuff goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Gismobaby,

I was often tempted to make a purchase with them....not now I am afraid. In fact ...NEVER.

Hope you get fixed up anyway.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    You could have bought it from an electronics retailer close to you. The repair turnaround might have been quicker.

You get what you pay for, online, and all the hassles that go with it, if stuff goes wrong.

If anyone local sold what i was looking for I would have bought it locally

Advertisement