Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil/Water based gloss/satin varnish for skirting

• 29-12-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Can someone explain what's the best for red deal skirting or door frames?

One guy has told us an oil based gloss is best but people are now telling me otherwise??

any help please??

//Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well as long as you seal the knots with knotting sealer (if using white finish on woodwork) its your preference. Oil based paints can take up to 8hrs + to dry, were as water based paints can dry within the hour or less, also there will be hardly any fumes from waterbased paints....

Is it a new build or old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

New build. Going for the wood finish. So would you satin or gloss? Thanks for the reply. What're the advantages of oil so?

Well Oil can be more hard wearing, but over a time your wood will darken because of the resins/oils in the varnish you choose because of natural sunlight and the general heat a house produces.

There are some great waterbased finishes out there these days plus the waterbased ones dont yellow as much as oil based ones do over a time, in fact some dont really at all.

Personally I would go for a Satin finish, if you have young kids then the paw prints wont show up as much, plus if your doing it yourself the Satin can be forgiving if you make mistakes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Stupid question but why,would people recommend oil or gloss so?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Stupid question but why,would people recommend oil or gloss so?

Well one reason is that they have always used Oil based paints and are a bit weary to try/recommend something new that they havent used. But Oil based Varnishes can bring out the natural beauty in the wood more so than waterbased paints because of the resins/oils in them.

Look the best bet would be to go to a woodies near you as they are doing 20% off all most paint plus 50% of some crown paint, get a sample and try it out for yourself....

As I said Oil based paints can be harder wearing, but with paints these days waterbased paints are not far off.

I went through my Apprenticeship always using Oil based paint systems. In recent years I have totally changed, I got all new frames in my house when doing an extension, one or two actually of the old ones were left. I used waterbased all the way. It was easy, quick drying, and no fumes. The onlly thing I will say is get a good quality brush like a Purdy, the Purdy range are expensive but well worth it. Oh and when using waterbased paint, sometimes though the brush will sort of clogg up, like the paint is actually drying out the brush. Just run it under the tap (cold water only).

Edit: Oh just a tip, if you can before the chippy puts down the skirting etc, on a good day lay them on a couple of blocks or something and give the lengths a coat or two of varnish, it will save you hours of kneeling down.

Actually Wertz on boards is more up to date on his paints these days....Drop him a Pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement