Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from 24Mb to 24MB NGB

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I got a letter from Eircom on Thursday stating that I will be 'upgraded' to 24Mb NGB for free..

I have 4 small questions to ask, which I was unable to get answered
    in any logical form by the call-centre guys.

- Given that I am already on the 24Mb package with the line working perfectly well and giving me a steady 17.504Mb, of what benefit is it to me to move to the NGB package?

- Can I decline the upgrade?

- I've read MANY complaints in the other BB forum where people that had perfectly good lines, all of a sudden were getting slower speeds. Is this likely to occur to my line as well? In other words....blah blah blah - the computer has decided that your line can only handle 12Mb, so you are profiled at 12Mb, and not even The Almighty can change this.

- What exactly does the "unlimited" usage with FUP of 250Gb entail? The Eircom FAQ and Terms & Conditions are extremely vague on this.
    Is this both upload and download or download only (as is the case with my current package)?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Italia wrote: »
    I got a letter from Eircom on Thursday stating that I will be 'upgraded' to 24Mb NGB for free..

- Given that I am already on the 24Mb package with the line working perfectly well and giving me a steady 17.504Mb, of what benefit is it to me to move to the NGB package?

- I've read MANY complaints in the other BB forum where people that had perfectly good lines, all of a sudden were getting slower speeds. Is this likely to occur to my line as well? In other words....blah blah blah - the computer has decided that your line can only handle 12Mb, so you are profiled at 12Mb, and not even The Almighty can change this.

- What exactly does the "unlimited" usage with FUP of 250Gb entail? The Eircom FAQ and Terms & Conditions are extremely vague on this.
    Is this both upload and download or download only (as is the case with my current package)?

Thanks
    Hi Italia
    If you are already on a 24 Mb package you will not be moved to
    NGB package without requesting this to be done.
    If you currently get 'a steady 17.504Mb' then this is likely to be the speed you will get even if upgrading to NGB and should not deflate.
    NGB package may be cheaper than your current 24MB package, it does offer uncongested speed and but it is the usage allowance packages which will determine your price.
    • NGB Basic has a 10GB usage allowance
    • NGB Regular has a 30GB usage allowance
    • NGB Advanced has an Unlimited* usage allowance
    Yes usage is calculated based on a combination of both Upload and Download broadband usage.

I hope this answers your questions. If you wish to PM me your line details I can check the speeds and current package..

Tony

Thanks
    Hi Italia
    If you are already on a 24 Mb package you will not be moved to
    NGB package without requesting this to be done.
    If you currently get 'a steady 17.504Mb' then this is likely to be the speed you will get even if upgrading to NGB and should not deflate.
    NGB package may be cheaper than your current 24MB package, it does offer uncongested speed and but it is the usage allowance packages which will determine your price.
    • NGB Basic has a 10GB usage allowance
    • NGB Regular has a 30GB usage allowance
    • NGB Advanced has an Unlimited* usage allowance
    Yes usage is calculated based on a combination of both Upload and Download broadband usage.

I hope this answers your questions. If you wish to PM me your line details I can check the speeds and current package..

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hi,
    I am in the same position as the OP (on the turbo product), I got a letter stating my line was due for an upgrade in 6 weeks, but it reads as if I will be getting the upgrade whether I like it or not.

Can you confirm that nothing will change unless I explicitly request it? I've heard and read enough horror stories about degraded performance after getting the NGB upgrade.

The only difference I can see is the limit changes from 75GB down / unlimited up to 250GB combined down+up. I'm not too concerned about the cap as I tend to stay within the current limits (perhaps a few GB over / under each month) so I would like confirmation that nothing will change unless I ask for it.

I live within 1.5km from the Clontarf exchange and get the following stats:
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 28 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

My connection does drop about once a day (usually around 11:00 pm) but it's not something I'm too concerned about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Yakuza wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in the same position as the OP (on the turbo product), I got a letter stating my line was due for an upgrade in 6 weeks, but it reads as if I will be getting the upgrade whether I like it or not.

Can you confirm that nothing will change unless I explicitly request it? I've heard and read enough horror stories about degraded performance after getting the NGB upgrade.

The only difference I can see is the limit changes from 75GB down / unlimited up to 250GB combined down+up. I'm not too concerned about the cap as I tend to stay within the current limits (perhaps a few GB over / under each month) so I would like confirmation that nothing will change unless I ask for it.

I live within 1.5km from the Clontarf exchange and get the following stats:
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 28 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 7 dB /19 dB

My connection does drop about once a day (usually around 11:00 pm) but it's not something I'm too concerned about.

Hi Yakuza,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hi Mark,
    PM sent.

Tony,

Any further info?
    I got your first PM, but nothing since.
    Thanks

Hi,

Is there any update on this issue?
    Thanks

Hi,

Is there any update on this issue?
    Thanks
    Hi Italia
    apologies for delay in replying, eircom was not on on Boards over the New Year period.
    I have chased this with sales and tech and have been advised of the following.
    As your exchange will be up-graded you will also be up-graded automatically as you said. Your line currently accepts 17Mb speeds and this will not change. I have been advised by the tech support team that your speeds might actually increase. Sometimes this increase in speed may make your line less stable. If this happens post me immediatley or call 1890260260 as they will be able to reset your line to it's stable maximum, which is 17Mb.
    I have been advised that your line and distance from exchange will continue to give you the same speed.;
    Post me if any further query.
    Tony

Advertisement