Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding Q

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I connect to 3 different computers at work from time to time using Windows Remote Connection. I know how to Port Forward, but is & if so how, is it possible to be able to connect to these 3 computers using Port Forwarding?

Eg, Remote IP = 123.234.345.456
    1st Computer on LAN = 10.1.1.1
    2nd Computer on LAN = 10.1.1.2
    3rd Computer on LAN = 10.1.1.3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You'd need to connect to a different external port for each computer. The firewall would then forward this port to the correct port on each PC. So for example :

123.234.345.456:3389 -> 10.1.1.1:3389
    123.234.345.456:3390 -> 10.1.1.2:3389
    123.234.345.456:3391 -> 10.1.1.3:3389

Some routers can't do this properly so it can depend on the make/model of the router.

If your router doesn't support changing the port for a forwarded connection then you could change the port that Remote Desktop listens to on each PC according to the instructions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

^^^^ Thanks, below would be a neat way, wasn't aware it could be done like that, alas, my router won't accept it that way, so I have had to change the listening port on the relevant PC etc.
    bhickey wrote: »
    You'd need to connect to a different external port for each computer. The firewall would then forward this port to the correct port on each PC. So for example :

123.234.345.456:3389 -> 10.1.1.1:3389
    123.234.345.456:3390 -> 10.1.1.2:3389
    123.234.345.456:3391 -> 10.1.1.3:3389

Some routers can't do this properly so it can depend on the make/model of the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Ok update on ^^^^, I managed to connect to the computer which I didn't change the listening port on, all the others I can't connect to. Obvious thing is that I didn't do it correct, but I'm pretty sure I did. One thing I didn't do is restart any of the computers, is that required in order to change the listening port?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Stingray wrote: »
    One thing I didn't do is restart any of the computers, is that required in order to change the listening port?

Hmmmm ... one way to find out ;)

Restart the router too if you haven't already done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Stingray wrote: »
    Ok update on ^^^^, I managed to connect to the computer which I didn't change the listening port on, all the others I can't connect to. Obvious thing is that I didn't do it correct, but I'm pretty sure I did. One thing I didn't do is restart any of the computers, is that required in order to change the listening port?

Before restarting the computers, I'd try just restarting the RDP service and testing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Hope this isn't too obvious an answer but if you can make a Remote Desktop Connection to one PC then you can always make another from that PC to one of the other ones that you want to control.

It can be a little slow but still quite useable but if you try it do remember to log out of the session on the second PC as it will be open on the first PC if you shut that off first - best try it and see what I mean.

Now if you need to do this when all the PC's are in use thats a little tricky but you could always use an old PC (headless) and for security have it switched on and off only when you needed to connect.

Advertisement