Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people deal with this travel insurance business??

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Heading off on the 13th January. Going to Thailand for a 2 week holiday first and then onto Australia.

Planning to try and settle down and find work asap and then travel afters. I am not really sure how to work this travel insurance business - as in is it not pointless purchasing a year long backpackers insurance when I am really goin on a holiday and then just moving somewhere else?

Am i missing the point here - if so please excuse my ignorance!!!Would love to hear anyone else point of view on this or how they conducted this?!

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok if your on a WHV you should get back packers insurance.

If you are moving here on a 175 or simialar you will get a Medicare card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Ok if your on a WHV you should get back packers insurance.

Is there not a reciprocal health agreement between the Oz and Irish government?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

I'm heading off in a couple of days to travel 10 weeks in SE Asia, then onto Australia on a WHV for the year and I was similarly unsure what to do. (I also intend to take in the Rugby World Cup in NZ in Sept/Oct.)

I, perhaps like yourself, didnt know whether to just take up insurance for the travel bits, or cover for the whole thing. I raised my query on another website (travelfish - a godsend), and got a detailed reply from one of their mods. On the basis of that- I decided a year's insurance with Ace would suffice.

The basic point made as an example was- while there may be a reciprocal health agreement between the countries, what happens if you get really sick (or worse) and need to be repatriated? I feel safer in the knowledge that I have cover for 13 months.

Anyway just my two cents- better safe than sorry. Best of luck with the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

vill@in wrote: »
    I'm heading off in a couple of days to travel 10 weeks in SE Asia, then onto Australia on a WHV for the year and I was similarly unsure what to do. (I also intend to take in the Rugby World Cup in NZ in Sept/Oct.)

I, perhaps like yourself, didnt know whether to just take up insurance for the travel bits, or cover for the whole thing. I raised my query on another website (travelfish - a godsend), and got a detailed reply from one of their mods. On the basis of that- I decided a year's insurance with Ace would suffice.

The basic point made as an example was- while there may be a reciprocal health agreement between the countries, what happens if you get really sick (or worse) and need to be repatriated? I feel safer in the knowledge that I have cover for 13 months.

Anyway just my two cents- better safe than sorry. Best of luck with the trip!

As a matter of interest mate, i'm looking into insurance myself for oz for 12months. I went with ACE before for other trips and when pricing them, they were a bit off the mark compared to others like backpackertravelinsurance and justcover. What did travelfish advice you about picking insurers and ACE over others?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Zambia232 wrote: »

Only after you have PR status for two years. And you have to put a bond up as well.

Any temporary visas require that you purchase seperate insurance. Also, the reciprocal agreement only covers in-patient treatment. And then you are put on the waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Only after you have PR status for two years. And you have to put a bond up as well.

What are you talking about? You can get a medicare card the day you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Any temporary visas require that you purchase seperate insurance. Also, the reciprocal agreement only covers in-patient treatment. And then you are put on the waiting list.

Not true at all. You can get medicare when you land in Oz
    or if you are applying and have a valid working visa you can get a medicare card as soon as you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

I am also going to oz in march and trying to figure out insurance, and have seen people talking about a medicard. Is this for going to the doctor?

thanx elley

elley29 wrote: »
    I am also going to oz in march and trying to figure out insurance, and have seen people talking about a medicard. Is this for going to the doctor?

thanx elley
    Yes the australian health card system

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Thats not true, you can get a medicare card the day you arrive!!! We got one for all the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

sonic.trip wrote: »
    As a matter of interest mate, i'm looking into insurance myself for oz for 12months. I went with ACE before for other trips and when pricing them, they were a bit off the mark compared to others like backpackertravelinsurance and justcover. What did travelfish advice you about picking insurers and ACE over others?

thanks in advance

Hey sonic.trip,

With regards to queries I made on travelfish, they were more general regarding periods of cover- I didnt actually go into details as to pricing etc.

I'm sure you've done a fair bit of research, as I did myself, including a few different topics on boards (this one was handy - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055063019).

When it came to choosing a policy, I just felt that Ace provided the best value for money for me. While it may not have been the cheapest, it ticked most of the boxes I was looking for. As an aside, I actually worked in commercial insurance claims for a while, and any dealings I had with Ace were always prompt & efficient.

I went with 13 months Budget Traveller cover (no money or personal effects cover) which I think cost me €278. Its now a matter of time before I see whether I made the right decision... Flight to KL in about 9 hours :)

All the best with your travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

man1 wrote: »
    Thats not true, you can get a medicare card the day you arrive!!! We got one for all the family.

I know a number of people that had to put up bonds for two years upon arrival with PR.

Also, temp visas (457 etc...) are not entitled to Medicare. Only reciprocal. And that's in-patient only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I know a number of people that had to put up bonds for two years upon arrival with PR.

I think they are pulling your leg.

Stuff like centrelink payments are subject to 2 years waiting, but Medicare is available straight off...

What does this visa let me do?

This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
    study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
    receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
    access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
    be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
    sponsor people for permanent residence.

Also, temp visas (457 etc...) are not entitled to Medicare. Only reciprocal. And that's in-patient only.
    If you apply for a perm visa whilst on a 457 you are entitled to a medicare, but otherwise you are correct 457 no medicare

Advertisement