Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Sennheiser Cx300 Mk 2 Precision Earphones

• 29-12-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

They cost around the E40 mark. I have gone through three pairs of these. I bought Apple's expensive-y earphones for the ipod but they were shocking.

I am kinda lazy when it comes to picking up earphones but I always thought sennheiser were the best

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

I think they might have been a few years ago, but they are overpriced for 40 euro. I have had the cx500's for 3 years and I have put them through a hell of alot of punishment, I roll around them in my bed everynight, and I know they will be fine the next day. I think they are the model up from the cx300 with an added volume control

sound magic pl30, meelectronic m6, would be both around the 40 euro mark online

Just noticed that have m9's for $20 on offer, apparently they have the same drivers as the m6, but are probably not as well built
    http://www.meelec.com/category_s/313.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've been using cx300IIs for the past year or two, and recently the rubber around the plug has started to tear. I've ordered a pair of SoundMagic PL-30s from mp4nation for $22.50, from what I hear they're a superior earphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

TPD wrote: »
    I've been using cx300IIs for the past year or two, and recently the rubber around the plug has started to tear. I've ordered a pair of SoundMagic PL-30s from mp4nation for $22.50, from what I hear they're a superior earphone.

@TPD. Ordered these yesterday afterr your review and got postage notification. Coming from HongKong. Always wary of fakes from here. Can you ( or other buyers ) vouch for mp4nation personally ???

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Seriously? How can other people no find them that fragile? I get a year max out of them. I do throw them in and out of bags and have learned my lesson with regards wrapping them up too tight but I found the rubber earphone covers came off really easily and the wires were very delicate indeed

dodzy wrote: »
    @TPD. Ordered these yesterday afterr your review and got postage notification. Coming from HongKong. Always wary of fakes from here. Can you ( or other buyers ) vouch for mp4nation personally ???

Cheers ;)

Er, that wasn't a review, mine haven't arrived yet. I meant 'from what I hear' in a 'from looking around online' way, not a literal way. Bad choice of words :pac:

I doubt either of us will be disappointed though. Mine should be arriving any day. And yeah, I've used mp4nation before for a portable speaker, great quality for the price, but slow shipping from China as usual.

• Advertisement

Er, that wasn't a review, mine haven't arrived yet. I meant 'from what I hear' in a 'from looking around online' way, not a literal way. Bad choice of words :pac:

I doubt either of us will be disappointed though. Mine should be arriving any day. And yeah, I've used mp4nation before for a portable speaker, great quality for the price, but slow shipping from China as usual.

Good man. Either way, I'm blaming you if they are sh1t. And if this turns out to be the case, i'll ram my set ( and yours ) so far up your..........:D

On a serious note, let us know your feelings when you get them.

Ta

dodzy wrote: »
    Good man. Either way, I'm blaming you if they are sh1t. And if this turns out to be the case, i'll ram my set ( and yours ) so far up your..........:D

On a serious note, let us know your feelings when you get them.

Ta

They've just arrived, and I'm very happy with them. They came with 3 pairs of foam tips, 3 pairs single flange rubber and one pair bi-flange rubber, which I'm using. Can't hear a thing outside the music (King Crimson - The Talking Drum) at the minute.

I wouldn't claim to be an audiophile, but these are definitely worth the price. Must go play a song from every genre I can think of.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

PL30s are good, yup. Meelec are always one to watch out for since they frequently have good discounts on their twitter (@meelectronics) or facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They've just arrived
    Did they take long from ordering?

If anyone else is thinking of buying from MP4 Nation, their exchange rate works out cheaper than PayPals. I think there was about 50c in the difference.

Did they take long from ordering?

If anyone else is thinking of buying from MP4 Nation, their exchange rate works out cheaper than PayPals. I think there was about 50c in the difference.

Ordered on the 2nd Jan, shipped on the 3rd, arrived on the 18th. Considering usual free shipping times from China, that's pretty good.

• Advertisement

Are the PL's good then? Was gonna get some CX55's, but the PL's seem to get good reviews and seem fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Got mine today. At first I thought the sound wasn't as bassy as my OEM iPod ones, but it turns out I didn't have them in my ear far enough :o I'm normally use headphones or earbuds, but these are my first pair of in-ear ones.

Yeah they pretty much have to loop over the top of your ear. They're very comfortable and light when they're in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Got some PL-30's today after seeing them recommended here. Really happy with them! Listened to them for a few hours there and Im no audiophile but I would say they have very punchy bass (which is adjustable, though I have not tried) and are just very clear/sharp overall. Working out about 16euro which is the same as you would pay for crappy earphones in a retail shop, but these are far far superior!

Have a massive range of tips too, using the large foam ones at the moment which seem to suit me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

same thing just happened my cx300IIs.

im pissed off with replacing earphones. i've decided i'm going for durability now, while maintaining sound quality. just ordered some akg's. they are aparently very durable and come with a 2 year warranty.

most earphones break because people wrap them around their mp3 player. if you wrap them correctly (i.e. not around your player) and carry them in at least a soft pouch (which takes up pretty much no space) they will last a lot longer. most guarantees won't cover user damage so they're not worth much!

glasso wrote: »
    most earphones break because people wrap them around their mp3 player. if you wrap them correctly (i.e. not around your player) and carry them in at least a soft pouch (which takes up pretty much no space) they will last a lot longer. most guarantees won't cover user damage so they're not worth much!

That's why my 300IIs broke. I think doing that had a hand in breaking the headphone socket on my sansa clip+ too. A connection came unsoldered, probably from the pressure of the cord tugging on the jack. Folded up piece of paper in there now, seems to do the trick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I've had two pairs of CX-300-II's break within 6 months of owning them.

In both cases, one driver broke.

I now have a pair of kilpsch s4i's - which are super comfortable and seem pretty reliable so far. If I was ever buying headphones again, I'd buy them somewhere I can get an extended warranty (like argos) and think of them as a service that lasts for the length of the warranty, due to fragility.

here's how to wrap you headphones... same method is very handy for wrapping up any wires or just shortening them.

Got the PL30s yesterday. Really impressed for the price and the case & estra bud covers are a nice touch. Had them fitted incorrectly at first ( as previously stated , the cables need to loop OVER the ear for correct fitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Got a set of Klipsch S4s in the post today. Way better than the CX300-II I had before. My CXs broke after about a year too.

Advertisement