Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermometer for a baby

• 29-12-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi

As the title say what is the most best way to measure a baby temperature. Now I know people say and hand on the forehead or on the babys check but I am looking for something slightly more scientific.

Best Regards

KYman12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

One of those digital in ear thermometers or I used to take my daughters temperature rectally... I done it while changing her nappy when she was smaller so she didn't really know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Hand on forehead is not reliable, better to put hand on back neck or chest, but it is still only a hint at the problem.
    The digital ear thermometer is the way to go, easy to use and reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We got a digital ear thermometer in Argos and its great. Bought one just before the little ladies first set of jabs.

I wouldn't recommend taking a babies temperature rectally as you run the risk of perforating the bowel wall. Its a small risk but a risk all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

definitely go with the digital ear therm, its what they use in hospitals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

thanks guys that what i was leannig towards, just wasnt sure if I was being OTT and letting my gadget side out to play a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

i got an underarm one for my 3 month old. it was only 7 quid in mothercare and does the job. a good tip i think is to take her temp occasionally when she is in good form to get her normal body temp. my baby is always 36.6, whereas i am always 36.8, so il know now when/if it does go a little high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

miami2007 wrote: »
    i got an underarm one for my 3 month old. it was only 7 quid in mothercare and does the job. a good tip i think is to take her temp occasionally when she is in good form to get her normal body temp. my LO is always 36.6, whereas i am always 36.8, so il know now when/if it does go a little high.

that is a good idea, thnx :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

miami2007 wrote: »
    a good tip i think is to take her temp occasionally when she is in good form to get her normal body temp. my LO is always 36.6, whereas i am always 36.8, so il know now when/if it does go a little high.

Ditto.

We got a Braun Thermoscan when our first was born. Best thing we ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

I have a Thermofocus thermometer. Really recommend it cos I can take my little ones temp without having to wake him. They are pricey thought. Around the €80 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I bought the brother max thermometer, much cheaper that the braun etc, at just under €50. It can be used on forehead or ear and doesn't need refills. You can also use it as a room temperature, which is handy. They do them in Mothercare, but recently spotted them in Tesco also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I have a Thermofocus thermometer. Really recommend it cos I can take my little ones temp without having to wake him. They are pricey thought. Around the €80 mark.

We also have this one and find it excellent, so easy to use. It also can be used for room temperature.

Advertisement