Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you rate the Grunge bands of 90's

Options
  • 29-12-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I was having this discussion with my friends last night about Grunge music, and the bands who helped pioneer the rise of Grunge in the early 90's. We were basically discussing who we'd rank on a list of grunge bands. Funny enough none of us chose Nirvana at the top, in fact some even ranked them at the bottom of their list. But how do you rate the Grunge bands personally.

In My Opinion it goes
    (1)Alice In Chains
    (2)Pearl Jam
    (3)Soundgarden
    (4)Nirvana
    (5)Stone Temple Pilots

Alice In Chains- I always thought their music was a lot more likeable. As in, anyone could just sit there and listen to their music with no fuss, even someone who hasn't really listened to them in the past. Sure you could proberly do that with any band, but they've got so many songs that I could recommend to a non grunge fans. I.E Rooster, We Die Young, Sea of Sorrow etc. I think Jerry Cantrell is a guitarist that is often overlooked when people talk about great guitarists, and Layne Stayley had a great voice, it's just a shame he's no longer with us

Pearl Jam- It was kind've hard for me to decide between who i'd rank first between Pearl Jam and AIC. Pearl Jam are deadly, and they were the grunge band that got me into listening to grunge music. But the reason why I don't rank them first is that i'm just a bigger fan of AIC's song writing then Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam have great songs, but AIC is just more to my liking. As for the band, Eddie Vedder has an amazing voice. I think he's one of the best vocalist in the world.

Soundgarden- Maybe it's me but I don't think Soundgarden get's nearly enough credit as they should. They were one of those bands that although they helped shape grunge, tend to get overlooked by the media, because bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam were always getting more attention. But they deserve credit were it's due. Chris Cornell is a great vocalist and while I personally wouldn't rank as one of the greatest vocalists, I could understand if others would

Nirvana- Maybe I'm being biased but personally Nirvana never really struck me as being as great as they were made out to be. Their song writing was good, i'll give them that and they had talent as well. But I just don't think they were anything special. Kurt Cobain for instance was average IMO. His vocal ability was decent enough, but not spectacular and I suppose some could say, well that was just Kurt's style of singing but I think overall his singing was what brought them down a tad bit. As well as that his guitar playing was average as well, but I suppose one could debate whether it was or not. Dave Grohl is what turned me onto Nirvana, he's basically a jack of all trade type of musician, playng drums, guitar and singing. But since he only played drums in Nirvana I can only rate them based on his drum playing, which was imense by the way.

Stone Temple Pilots- I will admit that I haven't listened to them as much as the others, but from what i've seen of them they're not too bad. Of course not good enough to rate any higher on my list either but I feel STP deserve a mention as well. The Scott Weiland I think is pretty top notch as far as vocal ability goes, but that's just about it for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

(1) Alice in Chains
    (2) Mad Season
    (3) Pearl Jam
    (4) Temple of the Dog (kinda cheating maybe?)
    (5) Stone Temple Pilots

Alice in Chains were my favourite, Dirt being one of my favourite albums ever. I love Cornells voice but was never that into Soundgarden. And as for Nirvana..meh. The unplugged set they did gets a play every now and again. I like that a lot, with the cover songs being my most liked bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

would completely agree with your list. great to see alice in chains at the top. one of my all time favorite bands from that era.
    check out a book called " grunge is dead" . all about the said movement from the early days right through to its demise.
    theres some really truely sad storys in it regarding drug use etc but i could not put this book down.
    back on point. imo "Nirvana" were a little over rated and i get annoyed when they top polls etc for all time grunge band etc. from that era i think aic and stp were alot more talented. saw stp at this years download festivel and all there songs still sound very fresh to this day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Any room for Screaming Trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Someone remind me to post on this when I'm sober. As someone who was there when grunge broke, I have a lot to say on this. And no offence to the op, but he sounds like he's a young 'un and his opinion shaped by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Someone remind me to post on this when I'm sober. As someone who was there when grunge broke, I have a lot to say on this. And no offence to the op, but he sounds like he's a young 'un and his opinion shaped by that.

There is actually nothing eminently disagreable with his post (except I'd put in sonic youth instead of STP and as a big PJ fan I'd swap them around with AIC also.)

The best bands will always stand the test of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Roanmore wrote: »
    Any room for Screaming Trees?

i like them...but their albums would'nt come close to the calibre of 'bad motor finger', 'Dirt' ,'ten', 'purple' etc imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

(1)Alice In Chains

I personally consider Alice In Chains a Metal band, I think everything about that band, from touring with Metallica to Jerry Cantrell's writing bled Metal. Their first video had to be reshot because the original was apparently too Metal looking (how the band were dressed for example), and from then on, their label probably gave them so much money they were happy to alter their image if they were able to keep their sound just how they liked it.

For a band who were, supposedly, all heroin addict's at one point their output is incredible in that they just kept releasing material. I like their new singer, and their new album was my personal highlight of 2009 (probably in my top 5 albums of all time) and I still play it regularly, but they're fooling no one because it's almost all written solely by Cantrell and you can always hear him singing clearer than Will. Great great band though!
    (2)Pearl Jam

OK, so I hate Grunge, but I love Pearl Jam. Can't abide Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Green River, Temple of the Dog, L7....any of them, but Pearl Jam just always retain a special place for me - an amazing band - and 'Alive' is the song I want played at my funeral! Seriously they are a brilliant band with a brilliant back catalogue, their experimentation hasn't always been great, but they've never rested on their accomplishments and their fanbase is reflected by the massive appreciation they have around the world and how fast their concert tickets sell out.
    (3)Soundgarden

Arkward...erm, Black Hole Sun aside, never been a fan and never liked them. Personal thing. Although I liked Audioslave.
    (4)Nirvana

I had a friend who was very much into Nirvana when I was at school, and he was always trying to get me to listen to recordings and demo's and these live bootlegs he had - he really loved the band. I was never into them, as much as I tried to like them for his sake, but given their history - if I'd been old enough - I would have loved to see them live just for the experience.

That being said, I can't stand Grunge myself
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    (5)Stone Temple Pilots

Never a band I liked, saw Scott with Velvet Revolver and loved what he did in that band, but that was never an STP output and I think he left VR more because they weren't his direction musically than the fact there was internal problems...even if there was, obviously. Saw them in March 2008 in Dublin and to say there was tension on that stage, two weeks before they broke up, was an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A rather strange moniker is grunge. I wouldn't be a fan of the genre but yet 2 or 3 bands from that supposed genre would be regulars in my playlist.

Top would be AIC. Been a fan for a long time,they have a unique sound and in Staley and Cantrell a classic frontman/axeman combo. Criminally underrated imo,they still sound fresh to this day.

2nd would be Soundgarden. Another band with a unique sound rounded out with an amazing vocal sound from Cornell. Another band i've yet to see live,they were originally supposed to be on the GN'R bill in '92 but only joined the european leg after Slane(cue the introduction of My Little Funhouse).

After that i've no particular favourites. I like some PJ,mainly the 'Ten' stuff. Some bands get grouped into the grunge category unfairly imo. I see Motley Crue includes L7 in the genre were as i wouldn't. I think they're a straight up rock outfit(i'm also a huge fan) and not grunge at all.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I see Motley Crue includes L7 in the genre were as i wouldn't. I think they're a straight up rock outfit(i'm also a huge fan) and not grunge at all.

Funny enough, Wikipedia lists them as a Grunge/Punk band

I think this is part of the problem with Grunge, I include L7 because of their support of Nirvana (on tour and otherwise) and then there's Hole, Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins (?)...all bands that might be Grunge, but might not be, and all bands linked to bloody Nirvana lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

AIC no1 for me
    Then PJ, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Melvins
    Never got into STP, might give 'em a listen at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Depends on how you define a young un', I mean if 21 is a young un' then I guess I am, but I don't see how that is a problem. I mean everyones individual opinion will be different. No matter what age. Of course it seems to be that different generations have their own view on things and a lot of views can reflect the general opinion of a generation. I.E Metallica fans in the 80's might have a different opinion to Metallica fans in the 90's in regards to the Black Album or so, so maybe my views have been shaped by that. But I try to be as open minded as I can without the general mentality thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No-one heard of Soul asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not the biggest fan of grunge tbh but I do like Pearl Jam an awful lot. They're first and last on my list.

1 - Pearl Jam.
    :pac:

Don't understand how a poster that says, "That being said, I can't stand Grunge myself" feel the need to post in a thread called, " How do you rate the Grunge bands of 90's"

Anyhoo.

I was a MASSIVE Nirvana fan back in 1992. They were my introduction to rock. I had Bleach on an original sup-pop cassette and listened to it til the tape broke :(
    Still listening to Kurts voice, brings shivers to my spine. I just watched the BBC Documentary, "7 Ages of Rock" and the Seattle/Grunge segment was still my favourite.
    I was too young/upset/disillusioned at the time to see what the unplugged session was for. Back then, I totally saw it as selling out. I hated it so much. But over the years as I've mellowed out, I see it in a new light. It was a man trying to come to terms with so much. The responsibility to his family, his fans (which is one part widely known as one responsibility he never wanted), being a father and last but not least, his crippling drug habit.
    Nirvana (especially Nevermind) put grunge on the world map. Do you honestly think that Soundgarden/AIC/PJ and all the others would have had such massive careers were it not for that one album? I know it's a massive leap to get to that point, and we can argue til the cows come home, but it is my absolute belief that yes, Soundgarden/AIC/PJ would have been successful, but in a more underground/non-mainstream way. For that reason, I have to put Nirvana as no. 1.

No.2 would be AIC. I can't tell you how much I love that band. Their dark lyrics and dark energy was quite at odds with a lot of what was coming out of Seattle. The sound of Seattle to me was frustration. There was no jobs, Reagan (back when it started) was in power and the kids honestly felt they had no future. There was no fun in the town. The grunge scene, arguably starting with the likes of Black Flag, gave them an outlet for that pent-up energy. The music was first angry, then mellowed out into more "fun" based music. AIC then took it somewhere else. The perfect AIC track to me (another argumentative point I'm sure) was "Angry Chair". No fast riffs, no shouty lyrics, just deep, dark, menacing and awesome. I was so sad when I heard of Layne Staleys death and the way he died, and angry when I heard they were replacing him, as he had one of the most unique voices to grace us. Awesome band in a nutshell.

No.3: Speaking of awesome unique voices, my no.3 would be Soundgarden. Chris Cornell's voice was so different and incredible at the time. The first time I heard "badmotorfinger" I was hooked. It still ranks as one of my top twenty albums of all time. I saw them play in 1995 in the RDS, but their asses were handed to them by White Zombie who were incredible that day.

No.4: Pearl Jam. Down this low because after "Vs" I got bored of them. "Ten" is one of the most remarkable albums of my generation and "Vs" was nearly up there. After that, for me they went downhill rapidly.

No. 5: It could be one of Smashing Pumpkins (although they're not really considered Grunge, more alternative rock. It wouldn't be STP as I always thought they were the American Charlatans to Seattle's Stone Roses, it could've been Green River/Mudhoney/Screaming Trees/Temple of the Dog, even Weezer could be there. But as it's my top 5, I'm going for Kerbdog. "On the Turn" especially. The album was incredible at the time and me and my mates who were jamming together had a hell of time jamming out that album. It was fun, angry and so exciting to listen to. When I saw them play 3 years ago, it was so nice to see that they still had that energy and most of all, they were one of us. Always loved that band, even if the Wilt stuff was a little lame.

Viva Grunge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I had Bleach on an original sup-pop cassette and listened to it til the tape broke
    I had the double single they did with Jesus Lizard on coloured 7" vinyl. Sold it for £2!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Pearl Jam - always have and always will be number 1 for me (yer all probably sick of be yappin' on about them here!) not only for the music but for the experiences I've had whilst wandering around seeing them. I started on Vs. and it completely changed my perspective of music for the better. I do remember hearing 'Go' and thought it was too heavy :rolleyes: While the newer albums might not be up to much IMO, the pre-Riot Act ones are the flippin' shiznit and I dunno what I'd do without them!

Alice in Chains - would come a close second. I got to see them play in the Moore Theatre in Seattle (where Mad Season played, where the Even Flow video was flimed). Wouldn't have much time for Black Gives Way to Blue these days, but I love the previous efforts and I'm delighted to see them back on the road.

Honorary mention: Meat Puppets - while not exactly grunge themselves, they did lend a few songs to the Nirvana Unplugged album and I had the privilege of hearing them play acoustically themselves (again, in Seattle :D) and they are a great live band!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't particularly rate Grunge too high as a genre. There are a few bands I can listen to, like AiC or Soundgarden, but that's not too often. So it's generally a "meh" reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

DrumSteve wrote: »
    There is actually nothing eminently disagreable with his post (except I'd put in sonic youth instead of STP and as a big PJ fan I'd swap them around with AIC also.)

The best bands will always stand the test of time.

I wasnt at all disagreeing with his post, but in my drunken stupor the other night it looked as if the OP may have been too young for grunge and his opinion was shaped by that. I could be wrong though.

I was 16 in '91. Had only gotten into the heavy stuff with metallicas black album. My household was one of the few in my area with a dish, so one of the only with MTV. It was a golden age (ahhhhh) so i was in a great position, I could like both metal and grunge.

Now, i'm not the biggest Nirvana fan, and they wouldnt be topping my list of 90's bands. but like it or not they defined the decade of grunge. they may not have been the first, but they busted the scene wide open. For that alone they must top the list.

PJ and AIC as already mentioned were heavy rock/rock bands that were in the right place when grunge broke. ditto soundgarden who iMO would be more in the grunge area of the rock barometer. STP, who i love, were also lucky.

Spare a thought for the less commercial bands, who were probably more grunge than the household names, your Tads, Mudhoneys etc.

so, based on my tastes, but not really genre my list would be

1 Pearl Jam
    2. STP
    3. AIC
    4. Soundgarden
    5. Nirvana

rating by grunginess alone, nirvana would be at the top......

This may have defined Grunge for me, as sad at that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Pearl Jam transcended the grunge tag the minute they released Vs. Ten fits that bill for sure, and its a great record but they quickly outshone the narrow confines of the 'grunge inc.' label and theyre all the better for it. Last great American band standing and theyre 20 years old this year and still playing to sold out crowds and making great records. None of their peers can say that at all.

AIC are masterful songwriters but for me they ended when Layne died.

Soundgarden are a great band but were all kinds of terrible live. Superunknown though..thats what they should be remembered by.

I dont really rate Nirvana. They were an excercise in marketing and had some great songs but like eminem, how long can you be angry and shout about your parents really? had Kurt stuck around we wouldnt be talking about them, theyd be a distant memory. His action cemented theyre place in rock history but the cowards way out. Go listen to the Pixies if you wanna hear the real **** Nirvana were trying to pull off.

Smashing Pumpkins were never a grunge band but i always put them in this bracket cos they were of that time. Theyve some great records. Siamese Dream is up there with the Tens and Neverminds and is possibly better than both those records.

Go see Pearl Jam live and tell me they arent one of the best bands ever. you'll be glad you seen them. theyre amazin.

david75 wrote: »
    AIC are masterful songwriters but for me they ended when Layne died.

I can't agree, they have managed to continue with an energy that most bands fail to recapture in the wake of a crucial absence but AIC are a rare exception and have managed to prove that even without their original lead vocalist there is still something this band can give to inspire others.

Black Gives Way to Blue is not only a good comeback album, or a nostalgic treat, but an outstanding album from a band that had the same energy you feel down the back of your neck everytime 'Down In A Hole' rings out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm a big Seattle band fan, but nobody has yet mentioned a band called Truly.

Robert Roth and the first Soundgarden bass player are/were in them.

Here's a cool song from their album Fast Stroies....From Kid Coma

It's a great album...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

AIC are a truly incredible rock band.

I was never really a huge fan but in the past 7 years (particularly the last couple) I just have to listen to them every few weeks!!!!
    (Maybe thats down to my opinion of modern rock :rolleyes:)

Although I feel with Layne's passing and the "Grunge label" they have not received the recognition they deserve. I really hope their popularity grows over the next few years with their current incarnation.

I recently picked up the Music Bank box set, some great stuff on there including early demos.
    Check out Social Parasite

Complete with all the G n' R references:
    The guitar intro and build up, the cow bell, Layne's "Huhhhhhhh!".

This is back when they looked like this: :)

earlyaic.png

3951875141_c35f5d67cb_b.jpg

However, lets get back to the pure gold:

I actually get a bit misty eyed when I listen to AIC sometimes.....

(there, I said it!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I suppose Nirvana will always have that aura about them because of Kurt much in the same way that Joy Division have too. Produced very little quantity wise but quality will always survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

buck65 wrote: »
    I suppose Nirvana will always have that aura about them because of Kurt much in the same way that Joy Division have too. Produced very little quantity wise but quality will always survive.

More than most :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_discography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Was Neds Atomic Dustbin grunge? Or were they crusty?

Anyhoo, always thought they were a bit of a forgotten gem

On the American front, i would say they same for Dinosaur Jr.

Nirvana, too loud for my baby ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

For me it's:

1) Pearl Jam
    2) AIC
    3) Soundgarden
    4) Stone Temple Pilots
    5) Nirvana

I've never been that huge into grunge and Pearl Jam is the only band, on that list, that I actually listen to regularly. :p So my opinion isn't worth much on this matter. I've never really rated Nirvana that much. I just don't "get" them. I like some STP and some Soundgarden. I've listened to a bit of AIC and I've liked it all. I've just never got round to giving them a proper listen. :o Which is quite the oversight on my part, I'll have to listen to some stuff by them again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hey Jako8,

I think Jar of Flies/SAP is a good cornerstone of the grunge sound for me, it's got the acoustic and rock stuff together...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

oldscoil wrote: »
    AIC are a truly incredible rock band.

I was never really a huge fan but in the past 7 years (particularly the last couple) I just have to listen to them every few weeks!!!!
    (Maybe thats down to my opinion of modern rock :rolleyes:)

Although I feel with Layne's passing and the "Grunge label" they have not received the recognition they deserve. I really hope their popularity grows over the next few years with their current incarnation.

I recently picked up the Music Bank box set, some great stuff on there including early demos.
    Check out Social Parasite

Complete with all the G n' R references:
    The guitar intro and build up, the cow bell, Layne's "Huhhhhhhh!".

This is back when they looked like this: :)

earlyaic.png

3951875141_c35f5d67cb_b.jpg

However, lets get back to the pure gold:

I actually get a bit misty eyed when I listen to AIC sometimes.....

(there, I said it!!!)

have music bank myself. if you like that get the dvd of the same name. all there videos. amazing. imo they were ahead of there time. risky videos very dark and did not play it safe at all. also have there unplugged mtv session. very good but sad to see singer layne staley going downhill the way he did.

Advertisement