Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering new xbox slim to gamertag and removing old xbox

• 29-12-2010 10:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hello, I traded in my old xbox elite into gamestop and forgot to remove my gamertag, so am I right in thinking they will format the hard drive before selling it on?

Also, how do I remove that xbox from being associated with my gamertag as I have bought a new slim xbox, and when I add something to my download que online, it says "download assigned to other console". How do I stop this happening and register my new xbox to my gamertag? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

You should just have to recover your gamertag on your new console,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You also need to transfer the licences of any software you bought on Live to your new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 106GTi

you may also want to change the password on the XBL account .... that way if the drive isn't wiped on the old one and someone does try to sign in to XBL it won't let them .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

106GTi wrote: »
    you may also want to change the password on the XBL account .... that way if the drive isn't wiped on the old one and someone does try to sign in to XBL it won't let them .........

It shouldn't allow them anyway, cos once you recover the gamertag to another console, the previous one that it was used on will be told that the gamertag is invalid on the next online sign in attempt, and they will need the password and live ID to recover it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Doing the above should be fine.

However if you registered your old console on Xbox.com you need to ring them up to get the old console taken off. This is mainly just to be nice to the next person who buys that console and wants to register it online. If you didn't register it don't worry, but you should do so with your new console very handy if you have any problems with it in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement