Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Hot Chocolate - where to buy?

Options
  • 29-12-2010 10:41pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy White Hot Chocolate in powdered form, much like the way you buy 'normal' Hot Chocolate? If so, where sells this?

I tasted it in one of the Butler's Chocolate Cafés and it was delicious - much nicer than regular Hot Chocolate!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Butlers use a syrup-y(not sure how to describe it). not powder, have looked for this for years.

Milkybar had one years ago...

Really hope someone knows! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I know it won't be as nice as Butlers (it never is) but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would prefer white hot chocolate, hence why I wonder if there is white hot chocolate that we can buy. I've never seen it in supermarkets, although I haven't looked that hard previously! I'm going tomorrow, I'll keep my eyes peeled :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Its a race so! :D

Options do a white chocolate, haven't tried it though. Tesco's stock some of the options hot chocolates, not sure bout the white choc in particular, but it's likely.
    http://www.optionstreats.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

gloria jeans in cork sell the white chocolate powder. the options range also has a white chocolate, but it doesnt really have a chocolatey flavour.
    amazon sell the syrups but i cant find one that ships to ireland. you could also just melt some white chocolate in a pot of milk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I got a gigantic bag of it in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer Street in Dublin last year. It was flakes of white chocolate designed to be used for hot chocolate. My brother loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

Attol wrote: »
    It was flakes of white chocolate designed to be used for hot chocolate.

That sounds fantastic! will def be on the look out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

The Options white hot chocolate is manky, nothing like Butlers or the like...

This AAAACxpXliYAAAAAAGvHUw.jpg

is amazing, Debenhams sell gift sets of it around Xmas,(don't know about all year round) saw it in the Debenhams on Henry Street before Xmas anyways!
    Happy hunting, it's amazing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Louise~ wrote: »
    is amazing, Debenhams sell gift sets of it around Xmas,(don't know about all year round) saw it in the Debenhams on Henry Street before Xmas anyways!
    Happy hunting, it's amazing!

Thanks! I was in Newry Debenhams on Tuesday and Henry Street Debenhams on Wednesday but never thought to look for this :P Not to worry, I'm sure I'll be there soon!

With regards to the melting white chocolate in milk - does this work? Is it nice? I've heard of people doing this with 'normal' hot chocolate, but I always thought that it wouldn't melt right or it wouldn't mix into the milk or something. Is it just a case of putting milk in a saucepan, putting chocolate into it, and then heating all in one go - or should the chocolate be melted first then added?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i've had the options one, it's ok but because it's made on hot water it's never going to be the same as any made on milk...
    i got some powder in the states a couple of years ago and they have the same brand in TKmaxx at the moment so you could try there...

if you are going to try it with a bar i would suggest heating the milk and adding it to the chocolate in a mug..maybe grate the chocolate to make it easier to melt.
    the stuff they use in butlers always amazes me, they way they just take a big scoop of goo and mix it with the milk, i want it on icecream!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the answers, and Happy New Year!

I had a look around various supermarkets and I couldn't find it anywhere! Each supermarket had Options hot chocolate but only two flavours - Belgian and Mint Chocolate (I think! From memory!).

I won't give up though. If I ever find it I'll let you all know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With regards to the melting white chocolate in milk - does this work? Is it nice? I've heard of people doing this with 'normal' hot chocolate, but I always thought that it wouldn't melt right or it wouldn't mix into the milk or something. Is it just a case of putting milk in a saucepan, putting chocolate into it, and then heating all in one go - or should the chocolate be melted first then added?

Either melt the chocolate separately and then whisk into hot milk or else grate the chocolate and heat with the milk, whisking.

They don't have white chocolate, but Aldi are selling Options Hot Chocolate (Belgian Choc and Mint Madness) on the 6th January for €2.49 (220g packet), if anyone is interested.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15547.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-01-04-11-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

If you can get your hands on that Whittard one its really lovely! I wouldn't be a huge fan of white chocolate but I got a set over Xmas with 7 hot chocolate flavours and sprinkles and the white choc was in it and I have to say it was lovely! Had a big mug with dark chocolate sprinkles and marshmallows :D

http://www.whittard.co.uk/store/catalogue/Hot-Chocolate-P5000/White-Hot-Chocolate-214163.raa this is the white hot choc and they do deliver to Ireland but from what I can see its £20 delivery which is mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

If I'm correct, Butler's might have been using the Torani White Chocolate Sauce.

Bewleys factory on Malahide Rd used to supply them to coffee shops, not sure if they do anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

I found white hot chocolate powder (not diet! I hate fake sugar hot drinks, really can't drink Options) at one Superquinn, but not another, so I guess it depends on their stockists, but have a look out at Superquinn's and you might find one that does stock it.

P.S. Sorry if this wasn't particularly helpful by not giving a definite answer, but maybe it helps anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seriously folks, all you need to make hot chocolate is chocolate of your choice and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

Seriously folks, all you need to make hot chocolate is chocolate of your choice and milk.

And a little bit of cream if you're daring ;)

Just remember though, not all chocolates are created as equals! The better the chocolate, the better the taste. I'd use Lindt or G&B etc. Also, go for chocolate that has cocoa butter and not vegetable fat in the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bibbels

http://www.buy4now.ie/Bewleys/Product/Bewleys-White-Hot-Chocolate/200537/11

Bewleys have their own white hot chocolate that's a reasonable price. Have been going mad trying to find this for my boyfriend, since he's mad about the whittard one as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hey OP. I recently became very interested in the same hot white choc drink as you!

I purchased a baf of chocolate pebbles in (what I think was) an independent Choccy shop in Wexford town earlier this year and brought it back to Dublin. I was told its the stuff they specifcially use for their hot white choc.

Anyway, I googled the preperation, you only need a small amount of choc to milk (1:5 ratio) and most of the ingrediants online recommended a little bit of vanilla extract!

Unfortunately I didn't have any but thats what I will be sticking in the next time I buy some!

Great thread.

EDIT: Really don't want a powder if I can help it!

Advertisement