Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NORTHERN IRELAND OPEN - 23rd JANUARY

Options
  • 29-12-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

This years Northern Ireland Open will be on Sunday 23rd January. There will be strictly no entries accepted on the day or past the 16th January. Entries can be made through post, email or give to your club coach that can then forward on all the entries.

I will have the entry forms posted up for tomorrow.

All rules and weights will be by IBJJ rules, details can be found on their website.

Entry fees are £15 for Adult and £5 for under 14's.

This will be a Gi only event. If enough time there may be nogi held at the end.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

So will there be kids divisions then? How will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Any chance of the entry forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Apologies for the delay

Entry Forms attached

And will there be kids divisions? Hence the £5 charge.

I thought this was on the 22nd, pretty annoying being the morning after the awards show. Ah well I'm looking forward to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

And will there be kids divisions? Hence the £5 charge.

I thought this was on the 22nd, pretty annoying being the morning after the awards show. Ah well I'm looking forward to it anyway.

there will be kids divisions,well a few sections for kids,we had this last year to let the kids have a run out and they had a great time.the rounds are only 2 minutes and the bouts are well supervised by very experienced instructors.
    as for the date being annoying.....well,we did try to have the event on the 22nd but the venue is already booked so it was either cancel it or move it to the nearest date available.
    I will stress however that there will be no entries on the day or indeed after the cut off date.this will give us a chance to get as much information out to all entrants as we can.we have booked two halls at the venue,one for coloured belts and the other for kids and white belts.the purple belt/brown belt section will be an open weight and joint section until we have enough people of this rank [ who compete ] to fill seperate sections.
    we will endevour to have all sections listed on boards the week leading up to the event as we did last year.This will however depend on fighters getting their details to us quickly.
    On the day,we will again try to have a schedule so that fighters will not be waiting around longer than nesessary.you should know where you are supposed to be [ as in which hall ] and hopefully we will have enough helpers to let people know when they are due on the mats.
    Fighters will be called to the mat no more than three times,if you have wandered off to watch your team mates or just to see the sights and miss your call then you will not be fighting that day...so dont complain to the organiser,ref,table staff or anyone else for that matter.
    scales will be available for you to check your weight.if you do not make weight for the section you have entered,you will not be alowed to move up so please enter a section you know you will be the correct weight for.
    All of these rules are to try to make the day enjoyable and run smoothly.BJJ events are still in the infancy here so we are always learning from previous events.
    I also need some refs and table officials to help out on the day,so if any of you will be at the event and can help out ,please give me a shout.
    Peter

• Advertisement

There will also be a ladies section, so women apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Just entered, appealing now for other purples to enter, we've got loads now!

Don't leave me just with Toal he beats me up all the time anyway :-(

Just a reminder to keep the forms coming in :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

dasmoose wrote: »
    Just entered, appealing now for other purples to enter, we've got loads now!

Don't leave me just with Toal he beats me up all the time anyway :-(
    That's a no can do from me. I have something on that weekend. I'd have liked to go though.

There should be a few from Drysdale Jiu Jitsu making the trip up though.

weemate wrote: »
    there will be kids divisions,well a few sections for kids,we had this last year to let the kids have a run out and they had a great time.the rounds are only 2 minutes and the bouts are well supervised by very experienced instructors.
    as for the date being annoying.....well,we did try to have the event on the 22nd but the venue is already booked so it was either cancel it or move it to the nearest date available.

Okay grand thanks! It might be too far for a lot of the SBG kids but hopefully this will catch on with a lot of the big competitions down here too!

What about teenagers too? We might have some teenagers willing to go up too, if not then the adults would be fine.

• Advertisement

Okay grand thanks! It might be too far for a lot of the SBG kids but hopefully this will catch on with a lot of the big competitions down here too!

What about teenagers too? We might have some teenagers willing to go up too, if not then the adults would be fine.

if you get me names and ages i'll try my best to get them matched.

ttt, last day to enter!

Entries are now closed.

There is alot of applicants for this so it will be a good day!

Brackets will be put up by the end of the week.

Start time is 11am. I will be there from 10.30am to take registration fees which is £15 (20 euro) or £5 for children under 14.

There will be scales which you will be weighed on with your gi just before your fight. Feel free to check your weight earlier if you are concerned about your weight as if you miss your weight you will not be allowed to compete.

Blue belts will be starting in the hall downstairs but please sign in upstairs first.

Kids and Lower weight white belts will be on first in the hall upstairs.

You will be called 3 times and after that if you havent came then you will loose your place so please listen out.

Theres going to be alot of exciting fights!

Strictly NO registration on the day

thanks

Just a reminder for Sunday :-)

Brown and Purple belts will be going first in the hall downstairs, white belts will be upstairs :-)

I think there will be alot of hungover faces on sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hendy

any word on the brackets yet? thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

Best of luck to all who are competing tomorow in this event. I'm gutted I'm missing it through injury as I was looking forward to it!!! Should be a good turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

A few of my lads will be there but i cant make it, best of luck to all involved in the running of it and the taking part...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Thanks to everyone that travelled up today to take part in the open.I have a few mentions for a few guys without whom the day wouldnt have run as smooth..my boss - Andy Ryan for his help and support as usual.wayne,stephen and mark for reffing.ritchie,phil,claire,niall,chris and rachel for working the tables,helping with the registration and the brackets.Also Robert,Dee and caomhe for running the kids section.
    I opologise to shona maguire for not getting a fight today,I will try to make it up to you at some stage.
    I also opologise for anyone who was put off by a certain teams behaviour during the day.I can assure you that they will be contacted by the Irish bjj association by letter outlining what is expected at events.
    again,many thanks
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

weemate wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone that travelled up today to take part in the open.I have a few mentions for a few guys without whom the day wouldnt have run as smooth..my boss - Andy Ryan for his help and support as usual.wayne,stephen and mark for reffing.ritchie,phil,claire,niall,chris and rachel for working the tables,helping with the registration and the brackets.Also Robert,Dee and caomhe for running the kids section.
    I opologise to shona maguire for not getting a fight today,I will try to make it up to you at some stage.
    I also opologise for anyone who was put off by a certain teams behaviour during the day.I can assure you that they will be contacted by the Irish bjj association by letter outlining what is expected at events.
    again,many thanks
    Peter

A great comp and very entertaining and well run.

Thanks for having us and look forward to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TJHOOKER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adam197

Yep Im in the process of uploading the videos now. Id left it running today whilst in work but the vast majority failed for some reason so doing them individually now. The last of the purple/brown belt absolute matches going up now.
    Check out http://www.bjj.ie/2011/01/25/ni-open-2011-videos/
    If I've messed up any names let me know and I'll get it sorted asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

wow thought i was watching the finals of the blackbelt mundials from the reaction there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Some cool bouts. The carry on by the Brazilians seems a bit over the top to me, but what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Marty Mc wrote: »
    A great comp and very entertaining and well run.
    Thanks for having us and look forward to the next one.

Had great fun and got a good few matches which was fantastic!

However, wouldn't describe it as well run seen as I had 4 matches in a knockout tourny with only 8 people in my division, and apparently I didn't even make the semi's! Also, the guy I "knocked out" in my second match ended up with gold which I didn't realise is possible.

This wasn't just the case in my division, my brother faced the same guy twice, once in the quarter final and then beat him again in final! Very strange altogether.

Odd numbers isn't even an excuse, at one point two lads that had both lost their previous matches fought against each other and the winner was given a bronze. Something so simple made to look so complicated!

Anyway, gotta laugh! Great turnout and venue, look forward to next year!:D

Had great fun and got a good few matches which was fantastic!

However, wouldn't describe it as well run seen as I had 4 matches in a knockout tourny with only 8 people in my division, and apparently I didn't even make the semi's! Also, the guy I "knocked out" in my second match ended up with gold which I didn't realise is possible.

This wasn't just the case in my division, my brother faced the same guy twice, once in the quarter final and then beat him again in final! Very strange altogether.

Odd numbers isn't even an excuse, at one point two lads that had both lost their previous matches fought against each other and the winner was given a bronze. Something so simple made to look so complicated!

Anyway, gotta laugh! Great turnout and venue, look forward to next year!:D
    Im sorry you didnt have a good day David,Im not making any sort of excuse for the way the brackets ended up as I had left the table in order to make sure the rest of the event was being looked after.When I came back I tried to sort out any mistakes to the best of my ability.
    I would however state that yet again,registration was a bit of a mess.We did say constantly what time the event would start,what time you needed to be there etc etc..we had guys turn up when the event had started so we had to try to fit them in,we had guys not turn up after applying and the other usual messes that get placed firmly at the door of the organiser and not the competitors..maybe eventually we will get these things sorted out.
    Peter

And also congratulations to BJJ.ie's Most Technical Grappler of the tournament - Cian Conlon from SBG.

Here he is receiving his shiny trophy from me:
    AwardNiOpen2011.jpg

And here are the matches he fought to impress us so much!

http://www.bjj.ie/2011/02/02/bjj-ie-most-technical-grappler-award-ni-bjj-open-2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Nice work Cian! Well done!:)

• Advertisement

If anyone has any of the results so i can fill in the blanks, great,

apologies for the delay

WHITE 64

1 MARCUS PHELAN (NG)
    2 AARON DEVLIN (SFT)
    3 D. SANTOS (SAPO)

WHITE 70

1 PAUL CAMPBELL (DOGPOUND)