Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010/11 Season - Half Term Report

Options
  • 29-12-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

So we are at that stage now where we are exactly half way through our 38 games.

33 points from 19 games, 5th in the League, +6GD and only 5 points away from the top placed team.

(Last season at this stage we were 34 points from 19, 5th in the League, +18GD and 8 points away from the top placed team)

The fact that we've had injury absenteeism from key players such as Dawson, JD, Ledley and injury interruptions to VDV says a lot for the other lads, in that they've stepped up to the mark and showed character to keep us on track to have a good chance of being in a top four challenging position come May 2011.

Other than goal difference we're virtually as we were last season, which if nothing else shows consistency. If we can just make slight improvement then top four is achievable. If we could get good results against Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and City then who knows, could be even a top 3 finish.

Outside of the bread and butter of the League we've been having our Champions League adventure and what an adventure it has been so far. Making the knockout stages, against most predictions, and as Group Winners to stuff it down the throats of the mockers who thought we'd go out with a whimper. Whether we get past AC Milan or not, we've already shown europe that there's life outside of the usual EPL suspects participating in the competition. So much so that in the recent World Soccer Awards (voted by 40 different countries) Gareth Bale was voted 3rd best 'Young Player of the Year' behind the German pair of Thomas Muller and Mesut Ozil and Harry was voted 6th 'Best Manager of the Year' and the highest ranked Premiership manager.

The only concern for me going into 2011 is the ongoing pantomine regarding the proposals for the London Olympic Stadium. N17 is where we belong and my wish for the New Year is that the Board cop on and stick with the Northumberland Park Project (hopefully with a cash injection from the council).

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have felt that at times the champions league glossed over some poor results and performances in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have felt that at times the champions league glossed over some poor results and performances in the league

It has, and except for the fact that nobody seems to be able to pull away, we could be quite a bit further away from a position of significance. I don't know whether it's the case that the rest of the league has improved, or whether the top teams have deteriorated (not us obviously, as the stats prove), but nobody has had that killer instinct so far this season.

Having said that, we are without a doubt the most entertaining team in the league, both for Spurs fans and neutrals. We must also be rivalling Barcelona and Real Madrid as the most entertaining teams in the Champions League too. Sure we concede a lot of goals, but we score so many and to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way :D

We're only half way there though and we need to be sure to keep things moving. I'd dearly love for us to get a top striker in January, something to give us that extra little edge, but I reckon it's unlikely. It's great to have a steady team though, and one that opposition fans enjoy talking about too.

So in summation, 2010 has been the best year I can remember as a Spurs fan, and this season so far has been a mixed bag but has for the most part kept me smiling and excited about each game. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If we got knocked out by Milan it might not be the worst thing that could happen if it gave us a shot at the title :o

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I've been a Spurs fan over 40 years now and the last two years have given me the most pleasure 'ever' as a fan. Nothing in the previous years comes even close to the excitement this current squad and manager have delivered . The list of memories is endless...

This season there is absolutely no question that we have moved it up a notch ... It is unfair to be critical of any weak performances . We all as fans knew that playing in the Champs Leagu would be a learning curve and trying to get back down from a midweek high and get back up for a Sat game would be a test . By and large we have done it and adjusted very well . If we were up for every game we would b top of the league , but we are not because we are learning and adjusting all the time .

The biggest transformation to me is the summed up in one word ' Belief'

The belief comprises so many other things though . Fitness, pace, Morale, Will to Win, refusal to be beaten , respect for teammates, working for each other ,learning, committment, fun, enjoyment , interaction with the fans ...and many more

I have been involved in team sports a long time and have readed a lot about sports physcology and I have never witnessed a stronger squad morale as can be seen at Spurs now...how they celebrate goals ( all the team are up to congratulate..) how they celebrate wins ...always going to the fans...watch the bench support ...watch the manager ...watch when someone makes a good important tackle ...watch when players like Kranjar and Bentley come on..they are allowed have a go at thefree kicks etc ...

witness the dramatic improvements in our players ... Hutton..Kaboul, Bassong, Bale ..Lennon.. JJ...to name a few who have flourished under Harry ..

even Palacious this year has bounced back when looking awful..

There is something special in the bond in this squad that makes players step up to the mark when they get the chance ...fellas fighting to get fit again so they can be part of it

when is the last note of disharmony to come out of Spurs ...(Kranjar and thats even dies down now ! )

There is a 1 in the year ...bet on all 3 trophies guys ...one of them will come in

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ Bet the treble :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

8/10 for me

very happy on the whole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

PVincent wrote: »
    I've been a Spurs fan over 40 years now and the last two years have given me the most pleasure 'ever' as a fan. Nothing in the previous years comes even close to the excitement this current squad and manager have delivered .

fair play to you sir.

it's definately the best I've known in my 26yrs following them.
    Harry has done an amazing job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Super Year.
    Amazing achievment getting in to the CL Group Stages, and an even better feat winning the group. Even though I am not his biggest fan, Fair Play to Harry, he has done excellent since coming to the lane.

The league is a lot tighter this year, but it will still take a massive affort to get 4th again. If we could strengthen with maybe 1 to player in January, it could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Proudest I have been in my 27 years as a Spurs fan. This group of guys are genuine winners who believe in each other. Am looking forward to 2011 and all that may unfold COYS :D

Advertisement