Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel core i5 650

Options
  • 29-12-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I know it's not the best but would this processor be able to handle games such as crysis or other high spec games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

yes.
    Crysis is a game that lower spec'd processors dont really bottleneck. Its more of a GPU intensive game.
    Other modern games vary, GTA IV is processor intensive , needing a good quad core like i5 650 to run it adequate.

So basically that CPU is fine for games today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

yes.
    Crysis is a game that lower spec'd processors dont really bottleneck. Its more of a GPU intensive game.
    Other modern games vary, GTA IV is processor intensive , needing a good quad core like i5 650 to run it adequate.

So basically that CPU is fine for games today.

The intel core i5 650 is a duo core not a quad right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Its a dual core

but a very fast one.

It'll play anything out there right now. However if you had something like its quad brother the i5 760, then you'd be better off in the long run and more and more new games benefit from more cores

Well you see I'm getting a custom built Dell and it's about 200 overprice and I'm just wondering would it make a big difference as I have the option of getting the i5 650 100 cheaper.

Here what their doing

See below right for items included in your system.
    Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 550 (3.20GHz, 4MB) [subtract*€*180.00]

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 650 (3.20GHz, 4MB) [subtract*€*100.00]
    Dell Recommended
    Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 660 (3.33GHz, 4MB) [subtract*€*20.00]

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 680 (3.60GHz, 4MB) [add*€*120.00*or*€7/month-1]
    Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 870 (2.93GHz, 8MB) [Included*in*Price]

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 880 (3.06GHz, 8MB) [add*€*430.00*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

OH FORGET THE DELL LIST YOUR BUDGET AND YOUR NEEDS AND USE FOR THE PC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What massy means is that you're better off doing it yourself. Especially if you need a decent graphics card for anything. Dell is just going to rip you off until the cows come home :o

Yes I understand but I would perfer it to be built. I don't really want to build just buy built. So what is your options on the processor and their deal(as posted last post by me)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what is your budget on the dell there is many more company,s that will build for you with better price,s and specs can you also , link to the dell cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

lots of boardies that self build live in galway im sure for a few euro they would drop round, build it for you and give you some basic tips on how it all goes together.

would save you a TON of money compared to buying through dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes I understand but I would perfer it to be built. I don't really want to build just buy built. So what is your options on the processor and their deal(as posted last post by me)?

There's plenty of people that will build the thing for you if you want, or, if you pay a measly €20 you can get the entire PC built for you by hardwareversand.de and then delivery is only €30

It'll more than likely come out cheaper than a dell too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'LL DO IT.

The german site we use will build the pc and even install the operating system on it, in English. If they can install the operating system, it means that the PC is working.

How much you paying for the Dell out of curiousity?

Hi for 980 euro you get

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 870 (2.93GHz, 8MB)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
    Display Not Included
    1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5450 graphics card
    8192MB (4x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
    1TB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burn software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Hi for 980 euro you get

Display Not Included

If this is a gaming rig, the i7 and 8 gigs of ram add nothing.

I had a look on harewareversand.de as you say they build it for an extra 20 euro. How do register as an individual as it's only companies and it won't accept my home details

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

An i5 quad/i7 1156 socket PC is surely the way to go. The 650 is fast yeah, but the i5 760 isnt that much more expensive with the additional bonus of twice the grunt.

@Declan, that PC for its price is a complete ripoff. You could make your own PC at the identical spec for less than 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Check the attached image, this was something I was contemplating getting. There is a new line of Intel processors coming out in early January, so it may be wise to hold off until the reviews for them are released.

No windows is included in this build, but you can add a copy of that yourself. If you plan on a high overclock you might want a beefier CPU cooler too.
    The major difference here is the graphics card - the 6950 will smoke the 5450 from the Dell - and will be very important if games like Cyrsis are what you're looking to play. Other advantages are: better PSU, this allows for overclocking, future upgrading etc

hwvi5build.png

hwvi5build.png

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

It may be safer to add a Corsair PSU, i've read good things about super flower, but the corsairs are supposed to be better. I'm sure others can chime in on that though

I'm not getting the Dell after finding out the motherboard is by intel which aren't good as Im told and the power supply is only 350w. And isn't not upgradable

If you are desperate for a gaming system, you could go to overclockers.co.uk, remember they will hit you with 21% Irish VAT at the door but it will actually _play_ games as opposed to that Dell.

But..

Our personal recommendation is to go with hardwareversand.de, where you should be able to get a lovely machine for that price, built and with the operating system.

If you try to use the pc configurator yourself and you don't know much about all the different parts you may spec a machine that isn't compatible. I would throw one up but can't do in work, hopefully one of the lads will spec you up a machine.

My recommendation is obviously to wait a few weeks until the new set of chips are out, But.. if you can't then, heres a rough guide

Processor - i5 760 (really the best gaming chip out there, performance and value, about 170 euros)
    Motherboard - quality one from gigabyte, with USB3 about 100 euros
    4 gigs of ram - 50 euro
    Power supply - corsair - 60 to 75 euros
    Graphics card - whatever you want - maybe ATI 6870 or 6950 - 200+ euros
    Harddrive - 2 tb samsung - about 80 euros
    Case - something with good airflow, designed for upgrading - 60+ euros
    Operating system - 80 euros
    Do you need a monitor?

So a main box will cost you just over 700 euro and would completely obliterate that Dell in games, seriously 4 to 5 times faster (mainly due to the graphics card)

edit : I lie, it would actually be about 9 or 10 times faster, the Dell graphics card is about 13% the speed of a card you should get
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6950/29.html

If you want the feeling of safety you could add 35 euros for them to install the operating system on it, its like a guarantee that it works out of the box

Christ we should get commission from hardwareversand at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

declan2693 wrote: »
    Hi for 980 euro you get

Display Not Included

A steaming pile of shite not worth half that.

For 980, I'd be expecting a LOT more than that. You don't seem to know a whole lot about what you're buying (ordering from dell for a start), yet seem reluctant to take the advice of the people on a forum who advise on this day in and day out. I don't see the point in asking for help if you're going to ignore it. People have already done a full build list for you on hardwareversand and you've been told they'll build the PC for you.

For 980, I'd be expecting a LOT more than that. You don't seem to know a whole lot about what you're buying (ordering from dell for a start), yet seem reluctant to take the advice of the people on a forum who advise on this day in and day out. I don't see the point in asking for help if you're going to ignore it. People have already done a full build list for you on hardwareversand and you've been told they'll build the PC for you.

What? How I'm I reluctant to get advise. I did take the peoples advice and I am now ordering from harewareversand thanks to their info. Please show me show how I was reluctant.

Advertisement