Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Irish people so resistant to the metric system?

• 29-12-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Another thread in AH ('How tall are you') got me wondering.

Why are Irish people so resistant to the metric system?

AFAIK (since I'm long out of the loop) metric measures are taught as standard in Irish primary and secondary schools. So why are Irish people young and old still going on about outdated and awkward miles, yards, feet, inches, stones, pounds and ounces?

I have seen French, German and Dutch traders in farmers' markets having to abandon the rationality and simplicity of metric weights because their Irish customers of all ages can't or won't bring themselves to order tomatoes or potatoes in grammes or kilos.

There are estate agents still banging on about acres, roods and perches. And even a paper like the Irish Times, including in its coverage of science and technology, can still be found mixing Imperial and metric units in the one page, sometimes the one article.

These clunky and eccentric Imperial units were bequeathed to us by our former colonial rulers. We kept them in 1937, along with the wig & gown and a host of other relics of the British Empire, when we could have ditched them and embraced metric as just one symbol of a new beginning for a new nation.

While there may have been practical reasons for hanging on to Imperial units in the early days, what possible excuse have we now, at the end of the first decade of the 21st Century? Why are our school-age children still stuck in the same fusty time-warp?

To the best of my knowledge the Irish government started to move formally towards the metric system as far back as 1969. I believe that the metric system may even have been officially adopted when we joined the EEC (or whatever it was called back in the day) and that the use of metric units was to become the standard in all sorts of applications and settings.

So how far have we progressed? I found the text below in the online archives of the Oireachtas (Seanad debates):
    The superiority of the decimal system is incontestable from the point of view of arithmetical simplicity. For this reason alone I think the motion should commend itself to the Seanad. It is a very important fact that by adopting the metric system we would save at least, I think, two years' training of the children in school. One of the great drawbacks of the English system is the lack of any connection between one set of tables and another. They are mostly of a lengthy and complicated character, and involve an incalculable waste of time in learning during school years, and are mostly forgotten shortly afterwards. [...] The British system has really nothing to recommend it except the fact that it exists. It is hopelessly out of date.
    "Hopelessly out of date." Senator J. T. O'Farrell (later Labour Party president) said that in 1923!

He must be spinning in his grave. Furiously, six feet under...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Because they're stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I love the metric system. It makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I generally just use feet and inches along with kilos because everyone around me understands those.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

I love the metric system. It makes sense.

Ya it's miles better than the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

When everyones used to the imperial system whats the point in changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

We are still hung up on Marathon bars, Opal Fruits and penny jelly's never mind the metric system.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There's no other country in the world that uses every measurement possible. Liters, pints, feet, miles, grams, pounds, etc. It's unique!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Another silly generalisation.

I always use metric when solving problems, but revert to the imperial vernacular when conversing with the traditionally inclined and elderly or yanks.

1 inch is approximately 25.4 mm btw.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I have seen French, German and Dutch traders in farmers' markets having to abandon the rationality and simplicity of metric weights because their Irish customers of all ages can't or won't bring themselves to order tomatoes or potatoes in grammes or kilos.
    Oh the humanity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I generally just use feet and inches along with kilos because everyone around me understands those.

If everyone used metric then everyone would understand metric.

Mixing up the units is even more puzzling, IMO. For example, how do you easily work out BMI with ', " and kg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    Ya it's miles better than the other one.

Miles O'Toole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    Ya it's kilometres better than the other one.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Mixing up the units is even more puzzling, IMO. For example, how do you easily work out BMI with ', " and kg?

It's as if you coughed mid-sentence.

When everyones used to the imperial system whats the point in changing

I remember someone saying that in 1983, it's one of my first memories.

And I reckon if we had a 'Dublin Commune' for just a little while we'd catch on:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I drank 3.784 lites of beer last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Feckin metric fascists, give em an inch and they'll take 1.609344 kilometres.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

3 goats per cow makes sense.

25.4mm per inch is just crazy! how can there be 25.4 of something in 1?

All joking aside, my job requires me to use both, when i started the job i could not figure out inches. 10 years later i do some work in mm and some in inches.
    We make stuff for America, UK and Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Sometimes it just makes since not to use the metric system, your hardly going to go into a bar and ask for 568ml of beer please. Or the standard mile, everything seems to be a mile away in Ireland and I think its just weird to say thats about 1.6km away.
    Obvioulsy I use the metric system for all calculations because otherwise the answer is just wrong

Pete M. wrote: »
    Another silly generalisation.

I always use metric when solving problems, but revert to the imperial vernacular when conversing with the traditionally inclined and elderly or yanks.

1 inch is approximately 25.4 mm btw.....

Contradictory.

How can school-children be "traditionally inclined"? You ask them their height or to estimate a distance, and my bet is that most Irish kids will use Imperial units. That's not tradition, and if it's the vernacular then I wonder what that says about the effectiveness of our primary and secondary education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I work in Heating and plumbing bathrooms and tiles. Everything inheating is imperial after the boiler. Plumbing Imperial bathrooms. Imperial Tiles imperial.

I sell tiles in yards but buy in meters.

I calculate the meterage of rooms and convert it to yards.

Why? Yards apear cheaper because they are smaller.

FYI: It was calculated that 1/10 of all what america produces is exported so the cost to change all there systems to metric is not justified. Its imperial all the way for them

The only industry 100% metric is the Space and Nuclear industry

Femto/Pico/Nano/Micro/Milli/Cent/Meter/KM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I don't know how to put this into words but i know how long a mile is or an inch is or a foot is i'm not familiar with the metric system as well as i am with the imperial so i prefer the imperial system. If someone told me there car was doing 160mph i'd know it was going pretty damn fast but if someone told me there car was doing 190km/h i'd have to think about it which annoys me... alot. I'm lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

If everyone used metric then everyone would understand metric.

Well, I don't. And when I do, I just convert them?

I can use either system, but when any sort of measurement comes up in conversation, I'm always asked; what's that in feet? What's that in kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

If I asked any of you men how long is your penis, would you answer six inches or 150mm give or take a few millimetres? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Variety is the spice of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Whutttt!?:confused: I don't understand physics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

'...who keeps the metric system down?'

'weeeee doooooo!!'

I work in Heating and plumbing bathrooms and tiles. Everything inheating is imperial after the boiler. Plumbing Imperial bathrooms. Imperial Tiles imperial.

I sell tiles in yards but buy in meters.

I calculate the meterage of rooms and convert it to yards.

Why? Yards apear cheaper because they are smaller.

FYI: It was calculated that 1/10 of all what america produces is exported so the cost to change all there systems to metric is not justified. Its imperial all the way for them

The only industry 100% metric is the Space and Nuclear industry

Femto/Pico/Nano/Micro/Milli/Cent/Meter/KM

What, even in France, home of Metric?

FFS, most of Africa is officially metric. Theoretically so is the UK.

• Advertisement

If I asked any of you men how long is your penis, would you answer six inches or 150mm give or take a few millimetres? :D

I believe the answer to that is: "it's six inches long but I don't use it as a rule." ;)

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Well, I don't. And when I do, I just convert them?

I can use either system, but when any sort of measurement comes up in conversation, I'm always asked; what's that in feet? What's that in kg?

I think that as a famous scientist you should stay (miles) away from people like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sport is the same. Amateur boxers use kilogrammes and jockeys use pounds. Marathon uses miles but triathlons use km's etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I believe the answer to that is: "it's six inches long but I don't use it as a rule." ;)

That was old when I was young which makes it prehistoric. :D

The other one was, "you wouldn't want it as a wart on your forehead!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Because going down to the pub and ordering 568ml of Guinness would just sound ridiculous.

Also, it's easier to visualise in some cases....like 6 feet rather than 1.8 metres.

I personally use a mix of metric and imperial.

Contradictory.

How can school-children be "traditionally inclined"? You ask them their height or to estimate a distance, and my bet is that most Irish kids will use Imperial units. That's not tradition, and if it's the vernacular then I wonder what that says about the effectiveness of our primary and secondary education?

:confused:

How does the highlighted 'generalisation' contradict the highlighted 'vernacular'?

I simply mean that it is a generalisation to suggest that the 'Irish people' eschew the metric system. We don't.

However, the use of feet and inches and miles and furlongs etc. is widely used amongst older people (like me auld buck) and so that is when I revert.

Most kids these days are used to km/h speed signs and whether you're going 100 km/h or not rather than 60 m/h.

Any engineer or scientist uses the metric system so when we're actually using a system, it's the metric one, whereas if tis just shooting the breeze tis all feet and miles and yards (1 yard is 0.9144 metres btw).

At the end of the day a mile is 1.609 kilometres :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The most popular imperial measurement is the foot. It is popular because there really isn't an equivalent metric measurement, cm is too small and metre is too large for many common measurements. It is easier to give a rough measurement in feet than in cm or metres to a lesser extent.

154.4 mm.

or a good six inches

Pete M. wrote: »
    :confused:

How does the highlighted 'generalisation' contradict the highlighted 'vernacular'?

I simply mean that it is a generalisation to suggest that the 'Irish people' eschew the metric system. We don't.

However, the use of feet and inches and miles and furlongs etc. is widely used amongst older people (like me auld buck) and so that is when I revert.

Most kids these days are used to km/h speed signs and whether you're going 100 km/h or not rather than 60 m/h.

Any engineer or scientist uses the metric system so when we're actually using a system, it's the metric one, whereas if tis just shooting the breeze tis all feet and miles and yards (1 yard is 0.9144 metres btw).

At the end of the day a mile is 1.609 kilometres :pac:

I forgot to mention feckin furlongs.

Vernacular implies general or normal use.

Irish people continue to use the outdated and awkward Imperial system, and it is the foreigners resident here who have to adapt to our recalcitrant ways.

It's more than shooting the breeze. It's just plain daft using metric officially, eg speed limit signs, and then behaving as if they didn't exist.

I understand older people hanging on to the units they learned in school and used all their lives, but the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Aviation still uses a mix of metric and imperial measurements with few problems. Couldn't imagine myself moving away from using nautical miles tbh (and no, I'm not a real pilot, just a sim pilot)

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The most popular imperial measurement is the foot. It is popular because there really isn't an equivalent metric measurement, cm is too small and metre is too large for many common measurements. It is easier to give a rough measurement in feet than in cm or metres to a lesser extent.

So all those people in established metric countries just hum and haw and wave their arms when asked for a rough measurement? I don't think so.

• Advertisement

I understand older people hanging on to the units they learned in school and used all their lives, but the kids?

But I'm neither one nor the other :eek:

But I promise to promote the metric system with anyone younger than me.

My own kids would be all kilo-this and giga-that so I think we're future proofed anyway.

It's just like two different languages, once you can understand a couple and use them, you're away with it.

It's all relative dude ;)

Confab wrote: »
    Aviation still uses a mix of metric and imperial measurements with few problems. Couldn't imagine myself moving away from using nautical miles tbh (and no, I'm not a real pilot, just a sim pilot)

Don't start me on the nautical miles and Met Eireann's mixum gatherum approach to weather reports!

I understand aviation is dominated by (some) Imperial units, esp feet for altitude. I would speculate that this is due to American dominance in the sector, not any technical reason.

Although I vaguely recall that there may have been some serious incidents in the past due to confusion over units, which might explain the international use of feet in aviation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hey none of your fangled euro trash around here, it was acres when my father was ere as it was when my grandfather and great granfather, it is miles not kiliometres, they will never change us no matter what laws they make in fecking europe, everybody who goes to a butchers still asks for pounds of meat so feck off with your metric system back off to the them french fogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Us farmers embraced the metric system years ago :) as far back as the year 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I work part-time in a hardware store and roughly every 1 in 10 customers give me imperial measurements. I was brought up with the metric system since primary school and i pretty much think in metric most of the time. Learning to convert between the two was an absolute nightmare at first but i eventually got the hang of it. I think the metric system is a far better system than the imperial, it's far easier to learn and understand and is way more accurate. I guess Irish people are just too used to traditions and far more resistant to change than their European counterparts

Hey none of your fangled euro trash around here, it was acres when my father was ere as it was when my grandfather and great granfather, it is miles not kiliometres, they will never change us no matter what laws they make in fecking europe, everybody who goes to a butchers still asks for pounds of meat so feck off with your metric system back off to the them french fogs.

Jolly well said.

Rule Britannia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Kids are sent off to school for 13 or so years with a 12 inch ruler in their schoolbag. Despite the fact that they learn everything in metric it's still easier to visualise a foot instead of a metre.

Old speed limits were 30/60 mph. 60 mins in an hour. Easy to calculate journey time. My car is in kilometres as are all the roadsigns, but I still convert to miles in my head to calculate journey times.

Jolly well said.

Rule Britannia!

Ha ha!

Now I got ya!

You make me want to be sick :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i have to say that i mix and match the two systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

So all those people in established metric countries just hum and haw and wave their arms when asked for a rough measurement? I don't think so.

No they don't. That was what I was refering to. Size 10/11 size for an adult would be close to 1 foot, it is a lot easier to visualise than the equivalent measuremnt in cm or metres. It is thsi particular measuremnt more so than any other as it is commonly used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement