Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Broadband in Galway City

• 29-12-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi there, I've been with Smart tel since they started. Honestly,never had any problems with them,but looking to change to something cheaper.

Currently on €42/month 10mbs unlimited download
    it's actually a waste because my line can only take up to 5mbs,and I don't download much.

Eircom are out as they are just as expensive.
    Upc not getting much good feedback.

Thinking of going mobile broadband with 3/O2/Meteor. Bill pay only.

Meteor seem to have a good deal. Anyone have problems so far?Especially with their hotspot device.

Any others to consider?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you will be using Skype, stay away from Vodafone Mobile Broadband.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056117632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've UPC and never had an issue with them. I think they've come on leaps and bounds in the past two years.
    15Mb line here and only lost connect once in the past two years ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've eircom since 6 years and UPC since 2 weeks and and have not had many issues with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

Thanks guys..I'll try get more info re UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check this thread out about their speed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125699
    The wireless modem is pretty crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ive had upc in the city centre since august and had no problems, great speed and download capacity. I would never consider those mobile broadband packages, useless from the experiences of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Thinking of going mobile broadband with 3/O2/Meteor. Bill pay only.

Meteor seem to have a good deal. Anyone have problems so far?Especially with their hotspot device.

Avoid mobile "midband". that's all mobile providers, like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

bealtine wrote: »
    Avoid mobile "midband". that's all mobile providers, like the plague.

Possible to get a bit more info bealtine?
    Never been on mobile broadband before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dont. Go UPC in Galway if you can get it. Sometimes they can be a hassle but the benefits outweigh the problems. Use an ethernet cable, dont bother with the wireless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

UPC all the way. the 15mb package is the sweet spot.
    The 10mb package has a horrible cap. The 15 and 30mbps connections have the same cap, with 10€ in the difference. Hence, why the 15mbps has the best price/performance ratio. If you choose to get UPC without cable TV, theres a 7.50 surcharge. In total, you'll be getting a 15mbps connection for 39.50 as opposed to **** ADSL 5mbps for 42.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you've a decent phone and on Meteor might be worth checking out their €15 unlimited (10gb) broadband add-on.

I had it added to my €10/mth contract and tethered the phone (used Nokia e52) to my computer... can do it over wifi too but runs down the battery. Was getting very good connection on the 3/3.5g network in the city. If you've a laptop you can take your connection with you too.

Advertisement