Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotbird 13.0E and Astra 28.2E

• 30-12-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I currently have a 60cm dish on my roof and am located in Co.Kerry. At the moment I have Astra 28.2°E, but I'm hoping to get Hotbird on 13.0°E for Nova Sports. My question is would the dish I have be big enough to be able to get both Hotbird and Astra 28.2 at the same time? I know I would need another LNB, but would my current dish be ok or would I need another bigger one?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no
    You need 80cm in Midlands and maybe 95cm for good rain margin in Kerry. 70cm for Waterford

90/95cm dish in Co. Limerick http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/satellite-distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

IrishKev wrote: »
    Hello,
    I currently have a 60cm dish on my roof and am located in Co.Kerry. At the moment I have Astra 28.2°E, but I'm hoping to get Hotbird on 13.0°E for Nova Sports. My question is would the dish I have be big enough to be able to get both Hotbird and Astra 28.2 at the same time? I know I would need another LNB, but would my current dish be ok or would I need another bigger one?
    Thanks in advance
    you need to upgrade to 80cm dish for 13e add monoblock for 13/19e free HD channels on 19e but of the audio is german most of the time 1080p ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

lgs 4 wrote: »
    you need to upgrade to 80cm dish for 13e add monoblock for 13/19e free HD channels on 19e but of the audio is german most of the time 1080p

There is no 1080p channels on Astra 1, subscription or FTA. I don't think there are anywhere on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have one on the way.

00041087.jpg

Sorry-found the pic and just had to use it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

So a 90cm dish would do, thanks. So would I point the dish towards 28.2E and get another LNB for Hotbird and attach that to the dish? I'm not too bothered about Astra 19° tbh, just Hotbird and Astra 28.2.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Something like this would solve your problems-combine it with diSEqC switch.

http://satellite.ie/acatalog/triax_multi_lnb_bracket.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

no, id align it on Astra 19.2 and have hotbird and Astra 28.2 offset either side of the Astra 19.2 lnb. Having the 3rd lnb wont cost much more and you'll have a greater channel choice.

YEs, point dish at 19.2E

If you can drill a hole, point at 16E
    Mine is pointed at 16, then I took off LNB and fitted Triax bar with new holes drilledabout 2/3rds rather than 1/2 way, so 28.2E is more offset.

Triax dish and bar is recommended. It needs tilted more than in France/Germany, so mount bar to give more tilt than instructions.

134102.png

28E is LNB further off to Left with larger space

Strongest signal is at arm of dish, thus pointing at 16E gives equal performance to 19E and 13E, but very poor to 28.2.E, but since 28.2E is very strong and it's 90/95cm dish, the signal quality for Sky/Freesat is still better than a 60cm dish in Limerick.

127682.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Cheers for the replies, so ye reckon a Triax dish would be best? Would there be any other cheaper dishes of the same size and similar quality? Also, anyone know where the cheapest place would be to get these dishes and LNBs?

See Supplier stickies on the Forum.

The Triax adaptor bar only fits Triax dishes.

Most cheap dishes will not take the extra weight of Cables and LNBFs and bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

IrishKev wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies, so ye reckon a Triax dish would be best? Would there be any other cheaper dishes of the same size and similar quality? Also, anyone know where the cheapest place would be to get these dishes and LNBs?

Hey IrishKev i have an unused triax multi bracket and am also in Kerry, pm me if you are interested in it. I got an 88cm triax though ebay and it was quite reasonably priced but as watty said the suppliers sticky may offer a better alternative.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

watty wrote: »
    80cm in Midlands
    95cm for good rain margin in Kerry
    70cm for Waterford
    90/95cm dish in Co. Limerick

What size for Dublin City?

70cm to 80cm depending on Rain margin and offset.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    There is no 1080p channels on Astra 1, subscription or FTA. I don't think there are anywhere on the planet.
    yes its 1080i not p

lgs 4 wrote: »
    yes its 1080i not p

Yeah, there's plenty of 1080i all over the place. 1080p would require collossal amounts of bandwidth.

exactly twice. And gives no extra resolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Triax dish is not the first choice for multiple lnb's, the aluminium bar in time is going down , 2-3 lnb's are heavy.
    picture.php?albumid=249&pictureid=4842
    the dish and lnb's holder it from SatWorld, they can post .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I have 2 dishes up. One 60cm on 28.2 and one 85cm on 13. Is it worth moving the 85cm dish (with another lnb) to get 19. Is there anything worthwhile on it. I dont speak german.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mrleehealy

in waterford would a 70cm motorised dish replcace the need for all different lnb's,

also what are your views on motorised dishes

thanks

mrleehealy wrote: »
    in waterford would a 70cm motorised dish replcace the need for all different lnb's,

also what are your views on motorised dishes

thanks
    If you have a south facing wall, then a motor is the best way to go. Lots of options then. 70cm really wouldnt be the best choice, 80cm would be better, than a 1-1.1m the best choice.

When mounting the dish keep it low and as sheltered as possible.

Ive a 1.1m dish mounted 1.5m off the ground, I can get all satellites from 36 east-54 west. (I cant get the nordic beams on 5 east or 1 west, On a clear day i can get a K1 beam transponder off 1 west). There is some great free stuff on 26 east (Mbc channels all in English)

• Advertisement

Motorised are no good really for multple receivers or PVR.

So I have a 110cm motorised dish (about 20 satellites) for "hobby" use with dedicated "blind scan" receiver and 90/95 fixed dish for 28/19/13/9 into multiswitch with 16 outlets.

With multifeed (up to four satellites easily) you can have PVR, more than one receiver and near instant channel change to any satellite. More than 20 degree spread can be done with Toroidal dish (45 degrees) and up to 16 feeds can be switched using several methods (there is even one switch that pretends to be a motor).

With Motor there is a delay positioning to the satellite. Channel flicking can be very tedious!

you need a separate 70cm to 80cm dish for 30W, possibly the strongest. Not possible with 19E on same dish, even if a Wavefrontier T90.

Motorised Triax 1.1m will work with Sg2100 motor in a sheltered location. Slower to change channels, no good for PVR and no good for multiple receivers.

0.8W dish size depends on what you want. Some channels will work on 80cm, some more on 1.2m you can't get all.
    80cm is fine for 19E and 13E. 16E awkward on same dish for multifeed, too close. It also needs larger dish.

So either a fixed 80cm for 28E, 19E, 13E and 23E or 9E (in Waterford, 90/95cm in Midwest). Or if you really want 16E, 1W and 30W without two big fixed dishes and one ordinary dish have 110cm Triax on motor.

Fixed solution
    1.2m (or 1.8m be better) pointed at 0.8W with 13E & 19E offset feeds
    95cm for 16E
    70cm for 30W

I have Motorised Triax 110cm (1.1m) Triax for 42E to 45W (about 20 satellites) and a vertical eliptical Triax 90/95cm with 28E, 19E, 13E and 9E. Motorised 110cm dish visible just in corner of picture.
    134102.png
    28E (sky/Freesat),
    19E (astra), --- 13E(hotbird) and 9E
    The 9E is Ku, but I'll swap it for a single output Ka-band LNBF in April/May for Saorsat.
    The LNBs are all Quattros (Saorsat will be all one polarity/band forever, so single is fine) driving a 17-16 Emp Centurai Multi-switch. Allows up to 16 tuners and the Terrestrial aerial input is 17th input. (used for a security camera). I have had 3 sky boxes on it. (they only see port 1, the Sky/Freesat) and 2 non-skyboxs and 3 PCs with sat cards.
    One PC is HD PVR with 2 x PCI DVB-S2 cards and Dual USB DTT stick.
    More reading:
    http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/freesat
    http://www.techtir.ie/reviews/mobidtv-dual-usb-dtt
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/satellite-distribution
    http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/
    and http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003507

The Sky dish is only any use for Sky, usually. You could try the Sky dish for Hispasat 30W. It's very strong. Esp. if it's the 65cm Zone 2 dish. If rusting, wire brush and smooth hammerite paint of any colour.

you can add feed for Sky/Freesat as offset Quad LNB on the dish with 16E. No problem. The existing Sky LNB would not be ideal usually, but on 95cm dish for 16E will work perfectly,

In the photo above the dish is pointed at 16E. You can see a 16E LNB won't fit easily between the 19E and 13E (though Alps does do special skinny LNBs that will pack that close). You can see the 28E (sky/Freesat) LNB is far off to left.

0.8/1W is too far to right and is weak beam, thus needs its own largest dish.

Healy1 wrote: »
    the first question i should have asked you are which satelites do i need to cover most if not all of the premier league, do i have the right ones?
    im hoping to use the spiderbox.

Which packages have you go a valid subscription for? Once we know this then we can tell you which satellites.

watty wrote: »
    The Sky dish is only any use for Sky, usually. You could try the Sky dish for Hispasat 30W. It's very strong. Esp. if it's the 65cm Zone 2 dish. If rusting, wire brush and smooth hammerite paint of any colour.

you can add feed for Sky/Freesat as offset Quad LNB on the dish with 16E. No problem. The existing Sky LNB would not be ideal usually, but on 95cm dish for 16E will work perfectly,

In the photo above the dish is pointed at 16E. You can see a 16E LNB won't fit easily between the 19E and 13E (though Alps does do special skinny LNBs that will pack that close). You can see the 28E (sky/Freesat) LNB is far off to left.

0.8/1W is too far to right and is weak beam, thus needs its own largest dish.

I have a Zone 2 (60cm) sky dish on Hispasat with no problems. Only problem you will have is the older dishes that have a fixed LNB (That can only be skewed with a little lever/switch) are no good as the LNB can only be skewed (Twisted) for easterly satellites. (Look at Wattys pictures of his LNB's, the cables are coming out at a 7pm direction, with Hispasat the cables would be at a 5pm/even 4.30 direction)

You can break open the casing on those older Sky LNB's and skew it then re tape it up. Ive a quad on my Zone 2 which Skews in the collar, so no problems.

Ive a 1.1m motorised that I use for all other satellites apart from Astra 2 (Fixed 75cm) and Astra 1 (Offset on the 75cm dish)

Thor Europe beams are very strong (T beams and K2), The K1 Beams really drop off past Dublin this far west and I can only get a handfull of the K1 beams only in clear weather.

Guys, can I hijack this slightly. Setting up a dish to 19e and 13e. Would I be correct to:
    1) tune it to 16e take off the single lnb and then fit and move the dual lnb's on the bracket to fine tune each satellite?
    or
    2) tune in 13e the remove single lnb and fit dual and tune as necessary?

Thanks

Pataman wrote: »
    Guys, can I hijack this slightly. Setting up a dish to 19e and 13e. Would I be correct to:
    1) tune it to 16e take off the single lnb and then fit and move the dual lnb's on the bracket to fine tune each satellite?
    or
    2) tune in 13e the remove single lnb and fit dual and tune as necessary?

Thanks

Option 1, what size dish are you using? 80cm minimum really for that. Some of the HD channels on 13 east even with a fine tuned 60cm are very prone to break up (Polish HD channels), Now thats from my experience here in the West.

snaps wrote: »
    Some of the HD channels on 13 east even with a fine tuned 60cm are very prone to break up (Polish HD channels), Now thats from my experience here in the West.

It of course depends on where you are. In the south east I have no such problems with a small dish :)

I am based in Dublin. The dish is 85cm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement