Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTD bias

• 30-12-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Just watching Alan Shearer's analysis of the Chelsea match and noticed this:
    wkfprl.jpg
    My picture doesn't really capture it but basically it's a joke of an offside line. If you watch it yourself you can see the pitch lines (which they take great care in ensuring are parallel to the pitch lines) intersecting the computer graphic laughably. It just so happened that the angle Shearer was leading with was that Chelsea were so much better so Drogba being onside fit his narrative. Did anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the angle of the line is slightly wrong, but it actually makes no difference at all. He is a mile on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can't tell if he's offside but u can see pretty clearly that the offside motd line is not parallel with the pitch lines. Good catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Alan Shearer never struck me as very clever..................

this is about right, probably still a bit wrong on angle but you get the idea

64243.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

copacetic wrote: »
    the angle of the line is slightly wrong, but it actually makes no difference at all. He is a mile on.
    Nah it was very close I'd say their feet were level and Drogba was a nose offside.
    Nice to see the striker getting the benefit of the doubt for once but then, Chelsea always seem to get those decisions.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

My Ideal MOTD lineup would be Gaby Logan, Dixon and Keown

Exactly the same as the Birmingham game last night. probably just off but benefit of doubtt should go to the striker.

If Shearer was talking negatively about Chelsea it would be:
    119bh9f.jpg

OPENROAD wrote: »

Mine would be Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer Mark Lawrenson and a couple of hungry tigers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Whatever stream I was watching it on the co commentator must have mentioned it about 20 times and was very anti Chelsea.

• Advertisement

niallk wrote: »
    Nah it was very close I'd say their feet were level and Drogba was a nose offside.
    Nice to see the striker getting the benefit of the doubt for once but then, Chelsea always seem to get those decisions.:P

never, he is well on. here is another leaning the other way on the line angle to go against chelsea and he is still well on.

231b6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

The line is off but Drogba is still onside. I thought he was off when I watched on the stream, but when I saw it later it was clear he was onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

MOTD punditry is the worst form of fúcking shíte ever anyways,I watch the highlights of matches on MOTD and then for the punditry bits i either make tea or put on the 90- sky channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye noticed that alright, i don't think the op is disputing the decision but just the fact that itt is so biased, we had to laugh when they showed an offside line that badly done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Alan Hansen is a parody of himself. Its criminal the amount of money he is on. He never seems to offer a NEW opinion and not just the same old lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Alan Hansen is a parody of himself. Its criminal the amount of money he is on. He never seems to offer a NEW opinion and not just the same old lines.

He wouldn't be on MOTD if it wasn't for his pace,passion,desire,and his hunger to get on the telly.
    And also his love of every team in the top 6.

MOTD punditry is the worst form of fúcking shíte ever anyways,I watch the highlights of matches on MOTD and then for the punditry bits i either make tea or put on the 90- sky channels.

Hansen and Lawro really are awful on motd :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Not sure I can see it properly... can someone post a bigger picture?

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just watching Alan Shearer's analysis of the Chelsea match and noticed this:
    wkfprl.jpg
    My picture doesn't really capture it but basically it's a joke of an offside line. If you watch it yourself you can see the pitch lines (which they take great care in ensuring are parallel to the pitch lines) intersecting the computer graphic laughably. It just so happened that the angle Shearer was leading with was that Chelsea were so much better so Drogba being onside fit his narrative. Did anyone else notice this?

I have no idea what your arguement is and i haven't even seen the goal, but line or no line, that picture is clear proof that Drogba is onside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I thought he was offside when seeing it on the stream but he is quite clearly onside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

monkey9 wrote: »
    I have no idea what your arguement is and i haven't even seen the goal, but line or no line, that picture is clear proof that Drogba is onside!

He is pointing out the bias shown by motd, with the line they showed they tried to make it look like he was way onside which he wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

MOG7 wrote: »
    He is pointing out the bias shown by motd, with the line they showed they tried to make it look like he was way onside which he wasn't.
    but it doesnt!!!!!!
    i looks as if they wanted to show him offside! he is clearly offside if the line in the OP was used, obviously that line isnt correct and the correct line would show him onside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

adamski8 wrote: »
    but it doesnt!!!!!!
    i looks as if they wanted to show him offside! he is clearly offside if the line in the OP was used, obviously that line isnt correct and the correct line would show him onside

You're looking at Malouda methinks

Hansen over Giles,Brady,Cunningham etc anyday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Aha Shake wrote: »
    You're looking at Malouda methinks

Hansen over Giles,Brady,Cunningham etc anyday!

Snaky putting the last part in small letters ha. There is no way Hansen is better than them. He disgusts me with his pure smugness on the tele. Never says anything different or is willing to make a controversial point.

Giles gets everyones names wrong most of the time but when he starts analysing the game then there is no one better in my opinion. Kenny Cunningham is great at talking about the defensive side of things. He always pulls out something a player should have done differently that led to a goal. He's even managed to tone down the eyebrows in recent weeks, which is good cause they were so bloody distracting at times.

MOTD just seems like a total love in where they all pat each other on the back for being correct about everything and then have a nice little chuckle about the correct things they just said. MOTD 2 is much better I feel. I like the new chap that's over it, he seems to be willing to go a bit outside the box anyway.

The worst of the lot is Lawrenson I feel. Even smugger than Hansen if that's possible. That Aprés Match sketch from 2002 summed Lawro up perfectly.

Snaky putting the last part in small letters ha. There is no way Hansen is better than them. He disgusts me with his pure smugness on the tele. Never says anything different or is willing to make a controversial point.

Giles gets everyones names wrong most of the time but when he starts analysing the game then there is no one better in my opinion. Kenny Cunningham is great at talking about the defensive side of things. He always pulls out something a player should have done differently that led to a goal. He's even managed to tone down the eyebrows in recent weeks, which is good cause they were so bloody distracting at times.

MOTD just seems like a total love in where they all pat each other on the back for being correct about everything and then have a nice little chuckle about the correct things they just said. MOTD 2 is much better I feel. I like the new chap that's over it, he seems to be willing to go a bit outside the box anyway.

The worst of the lot is Lawrenson I feel. Even smugger than Hansen if that's possible. That Aprés Match sketch from 2002 summed Lawro up perfectly.

Agree totally. I love the way for MOTD2 they get a current player for most weeks to sit beside Lee Dixon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Alan Shearer in talking shit shocker :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hang on. I don't understand this picture or thread at all. If the line is actually turned parallel. He is MORE onside :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I like Hansen a top pro, who has won it all at club level. Shearer and Lineker were the best of their time too. They wont just put anyone on the BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

SantryRed wrote: »
    Hang on. I don't understand this picture or thread at all. If the line is actually turned parallel. He is MORE onside :confused:

That's what I was going to say when I read the OP.

• Advertisement

You're probably looking at Malouda who is at the top of the screen. It's Drogba who the ball is played to at the bottom of the screen.

Just watched it again and the angle of the grasslines is definitely more like this:
    15q7uac.jpg
    Anyway point is, don't trust the BBC offside computer thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

You're probably looking at Malouda who is at the top of the screen. It's Drogba who the ball is played to at the bottom of the screen.

Oh, right. I see now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

Correct. This thread is retarded. Both players are onside regardless of which way you draw the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OPENROAD wrote: »

What about Roy Keane, Stan Collymore and Dunphy?

This thread is actually a joke. He's not offside. Neither of them are. Not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Also, how did the whole of the BBC miss that N'Zogbia clearly dived for the Wigan penalty?

They didn't even mention it on MOTD or 5 Live and it was as clear as day.

Just watched it again and the angle of the grasslines is definitely more like this:
    Anyway point is, don't trust the BBC offside computer thingy.

:pac:

Are you serious? Yours is worse than MOTD :pac:

Don't mind the grasslines ffs. Just a parallel line to the half way line! He isn't offside. Neither are.

:pac:

Are you serious? Yours is worse than MOTD :pac:

Don't mind the grasslines ffs. Just a parallel line to the half way line! He isn't offside. Neither are.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
    Don't mind the grasslines?
    Question is, are you serious, SantryRed? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Also, how did the whole of the BBC miss that N'Zogbia clearly dived for the Wigan penalty?

They didn't even mention it on MOTD or 5 Live and it was as clear as day.

MOTD under Lineker has degenerated into a farce.
    There is no detailed analysis of matches,no criticism ,and no insight into the games.
    Lineker is an imbecile who seems to think he is presenting a kids comedy show and Hansen and Lawrenson seem to be limited to 100 words per show.
    Sound bites and catchphrases are what they are reduced to now.
    Its like an old boys club,smug,stale and in need of a massive overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

if you actually draw two parallel lines they won't look parallel from this angle. it's called perspective. Greeks have known about this for years. http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/projects/perspective/parthenon.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It's not any potential bias that I take issue with when I think of MOTD, it's the complete lack of insight into the game of football that gets on my nerves, pundits on BBC are always biased towards their old clubs, its laughbale and there's 10 year old's who could pick out the things Alan Shearer's paid to show us, terrible television never mind football coverage.

Glazers Out!

Kimsang wrote: »
    if you actually draw two parallel lines they won't look parallel from this angle. it's called perspective. Greeks have known about this for years. http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/projects/perspective/parthenon.htm

Wow you are a genius. As I said in the OP, I don't expect people to get it from a single 2d screen grab. It was for people who had seen it on MOTD with the preceding moving pictures. It was quite obviously inaccurate. You should read more before trying to be a smartarse.

I find they present the match to suit their narrative. I remember the game Rooney returned from injury, they showed events happening in the wrong order. Chicarito missing a glaring opportunity was shown after a string of Rooney misses even though it had occurred amongst them. Just so they could show him smiling to counter Rooney's frustration.
    It's worrying how willynilly they edit the footage.

MOTD under Lineker has degenerated into a farce.
    There is no detailed analysis of matches,no criticism ,and no insight into the games.
    Lineker is an imbecile who seems to think he is presenting a kids comedy show and Hansen and Lawrenson seem to be limited to 100 words per show.
    Sound bites and catchphrases are what they are reduced to now.
    Its like an old boys club,smug,stale and in need of a massive overhaul.

Lineker when he first started to appear on MOTD as a pundit was very good with Des as presenter, but he is just awful these days, I seriously would love Gaby Logan to get the gig full time, anytime she has stepped in as cover she has done a top job imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I like when they try to pick the england team ahead fo WCs/Euros with segments on this weeks great english player

Wow you are a genius. As I said in the OP, I don't expect people to get it from a single 2d screen grab. It was for people who had seen it on MOTD with the preceding moving pictures. It was quite obviously inaccurate. You should read more before trying to be a smartarse.

yes i am a genius, but that's aside from the point ;)

I was however just offering an explanation (which no one else has suggested in 3 pages i might add)

Also i did see match of the day, just as i do watch it every week. and i still think it's perspective.

Your line "It was quite obviously inaccurate" is unsubstantiated. Get a clue dude and chill da **** out.

<edit> After having re-read your OP you make no mention of people 'getting it' only from moving pictures. Also moving pictures changes nothing, those lines will never be parallel from this angle </edit>

It stands to reason that they must use pretty good technology regarding these things, and it's not just some oaf drawing a line where he thinks it should be.

Kimsang wrote: »
    yes i am a genius, but that's aside from the point ;)

I was however just offering an explanation (which no one else has suggested in 3 pages i might add)

Also i did see match of the day, just as i do watch it every week. and i still think it's perspective.

Your line "It was quite obviously inaccurate" is unsubstantiated. Get a clue dude and chill da **** out.

<edit> After having re-read your OP you make no mention of people 'getting it' only from moving pictures. Also moving pictures changes nothing, those lines will never be parallel from this angle </edit>

It stands to reason that they must use pretty good technology regarding these things, and it's not just some oaf drawing a line where he thinks it should be.
    OK calm down. Let me just say that no one has suggested that the lines should be parallel on this screen shot or on a tv sceen. We are all aware of how
    perspective works I'm sure. What my picture doesn't show is that the "grasslines", i.e. the designs left when the groundsmen cut the grass, are not only obviously
    not parallel to the BBC offside line but actually intersect. My latest illustration shows the degree to which they intersect:
    wl4zg0.jpg

Now, I would argue that top flight groundsmen would be pretty meticulous in ensuring these "grasslines" are square with the pitch (see image below). In this case,
    and with the rather large angle of intersection it would seem that the BBC offside line is way off. Now everyone that watched MOTD last night will have noticed that,
    but unfortunately I took a pretty crap picture which doesn't quite capture it well.
    2468901446_ba52254df5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The main point should be is they don't give NEW opinions. Same old stuff. Never go into detail on football in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The main point should be is they don't give NEW opinions. Same old stuff. Never go into detail on football in general.

Yes in general the punditry can be classed as [scottish accent] "sloppy, very sloppy"[/scottish accent]

Yes they don't give new opinions, i think everyone can agree we'd all rather be watching the irish panel :cool:

But back to the op's original point;

I think I now understand, you mean that the grass lines were not parallel with the offside line the BBC showed.

But surely you are just guessing that the pitch cut grass lines are perfectly parallel? Until this can be proven I don't think you can make such a claim(of bias) :P!

I have tried to google it but alas have found out no information. It would be very interesting if you proved to be right and the BBC have made a mess of their super-imposed off side lines

• Advertisement
Advertisement