Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPRON for model boat

Options
  • 30-12-2010 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I think Depron is normally used for insulation but it is also handy for us modellers and I'm looking to get some. Ideally 3 or 5mm in thickness but also in other thickness if available.

Anyone any idea where I could find some in the Dublin area ???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Slaacer wrote: »
    I think Depron is normally used for insulation but it is also handy for us modellers and I'm looking to get some. Ideally 3 or 5mm in thickness but also in other thickness if available.

Anyone any idea where I could find some in the Dublin area ???

Green Hobby in Harolds Cross have it in 3mm and 6mm sheets.

I case you're interested here are some photos of a boat hull I made from depron and fibreglass sandwich. It's a 1/3rd scale shallow vee rowing dinghy:
    sonarmapper3.jpg

sonarmapper2.jpg

sonarmapperhull.jpg

It was made as a sonar carrying RC mapping boat, with dual purpose as a prototype for an ultra lightweight fishing craft. This technique makes incredibly light weight hulls possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

thanks, looking to build a trimaran of 2m long.

what is the best way to join sheets of depron together as I know I won't find sheets of depron of 2m long.

you can check out our website at www.iomireland.org

what is the best way to join sheets of depron together

I use a glue called UHU Por which is designed for soft/flexible plastics. I don't think there is a better one for that job.
    You can use styro friendly cyanoacrylate but it's more expensive and is more suitable for repairs where time is short.

sorry if I ask the obvious but what model glue is UHU Por ? where do you find it ?
    Cheers

sorry if I ask the obvious but what model glue is UHU Por ? where do you find it ?
    Cheers
    That is the name of it - UHU Por!
    It is a glue for flexible plastics that might be damaged by some glue formulations.
    I get it along with the Depron. Since I get my depron at Green Hobby I get it there, but I assume any place that sells UHU glues would have it too.

• Advertisement

grand thx and what about the flex of the depron. how much can you bend it before it breaks. I am thinking a 2mm or even 1mm if available to cover over the ribs of the boats. The design doesn't have any sharp angle so i think it might be ok and because of the scale angles are quite soft.

Heat it with a heat gun and it can be formed into a "U" if required. It's a very handy material.

indeed it seems quite handy alright.
    thanks for the tip ;)- I think I'm gonna try
    the shape of the hulls and decks are quite round alright so I'm hoping it'll be alright.

Advertisement