Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouth Ulcers After Quitting Smoking

Options
  • 30-12-2010 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced mouth ulcers after quitting smoking? Apparently they're quite common in ex-smokers. Does anyone know how long they last?

I've been off cigarettes 10 days (it was a new year's resolution that I started early), I've been up and down, but I'm feeling positive. Around day 5 I got a mouth ulcer that's still there. I use Bonjela, Listerine, etc., and it eases the pain so it's more a nuisance than anything else.

I thought it was just me until I read this: Ex-smokers face ulcers and colds, BBC News.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I got them on and off for about 3 months. You'll also get a cough worse than any cough you've ever had. It's your body clearing the **** out. It passes. It's not just your mind that needs to adapt - your body is reacting to the new regime too.

10 days - the hardest is over believe it or not. The first week is the hardest. Not to say that it's easy from now on - it's not. But you're already breaking the addiction. Stick with it and congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I also got mouth ulcers think it was after the first month that they started to go away, I didn't get any cough at all and had no problems with my chest whatsoever but I had a taste in my mouth that came and went for well over two months that was just awful, I got very upset about it because I really thought it would never go away. Then woke up one morning and realised that it was gone and couldn't quite put my finger on when it went (the ulcers were kind of the same come to think of it.) Then came the awakening of the taste of food, it was the first time well since I was a teenager I suppose that I could actually taste food. And wine, oh the wine, I smoked since well before I ever drank and wine tastes completely different, as does cheese and well a never ending list of things really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

I got mouth ulcers too - but only for a short while, maybe a couple of weeks, but I didn't get them straight away now I think of it. I also got a taste in my mouth and sometimes still get it, it was like having tinfoil in my mouth. Nothing major but I would like to know what causes this.

Good luck on your quitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Hey

I am on day 8 off the cigs and have ulsers too, annoying but not too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Day 16 here and also a couple of ulcers each side of my gob to report.

Went to the pharmacy at lunch time and got a tube on Bonjella.
    Helps loads and tastes great :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 iluvit

Day 8 - small ulcers also - not too painful just annoying. Never realised the drama giving up the smokes, still hang in there all, it must get easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

Day 18 and I'm riddled with them! Makes me never want to give up again, so hopefully I succeed this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 luckyirish

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced mouth ulcers after quitting smoking? Apparently they're quite common in ex-smokers. Does anyone know how long they last?

I've been off cigarettes 10 days (it was a new year's resolution that I started early), I've been up and down, but I'm feeling positive. Around day 5 I got a mouth ulcer that's still there. I use Bonjela, Listerine, etc., and it eases the pain so it's more a nuisance than anything else.

I thought it was just me until I read this: Ex-smokers face ulcers and colds, BBC News.

Hi just to say i am now on day 10 of no fags and got a mouth ulcer on day 5 also my mouth also feels like there are little cuts inside my cheeks it is quite painful, but hey good luck with the non smoking :)

Advertisement