Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 4 Solutions for large volume usage? Cablesurf?

• 30-12-2010 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

UPC/NTL seems to have that horrible 250GB cap(500GB for the 100Mb which is ridiculous considering that it's half a day of full usage, and the price is just nuts for that amount of data. 80EUR gets me 100Mbps unmetered with good peering easily in any decent EU data center). I need at least 750GB/month(mostly upload) since I backup most of my data offsite. Does anyone know if Cablesurf can cover Dublin 4? And if they have capping?

Any alternatives?

EDIT: I've heard that UPC/NTL has a secret option for unlimited usage? Is this just urban legend? Any references to it otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ekuryua wrote: »
    UPC/NTL seems to have that horrible 250GB cap(500GB for the 100Mb which is ridiculous considering that it's half a day of full usage, and the price is just nuts for that amount of data. 80EUR gets me 100Mbps unmetered with good peering easily in any decent EU data center). I need at least 750GB/month(mostly upload) since I backup most of my data offsite. Does anyone know if Cablesurf can cover Dublin 4? And if they have capping?

Any alternatives?

EDIT: I've heard that UPC/NTL has a secret option for unlimited usage? Is this just urban legend? Any references to it otherwise?

Eh.. Cablesurf supply services to Dungarvan, Co Waterford. So unless Dublin 4 moves to Co. Waterford there is no chance of you getting their services.

If you need 750GB for offsite backup, then you need a business acount with no limits which you should be able to get. Also, if you are uploading 750GB a month then you need to look at incremental backups as I find it hard to believe a single user would generate 750GB of unique data per month that would need to be backed up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP I'd suggest reading this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056100232 and the Charter/FAQ thread. No idea where you got the idea of cablesurf being in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Any alternatives?

Why not just back up yourself, You could buy a 1TB hard drive every month and back up everything on that.

I'm really surprised you are using 750gb transfer a month considering you must be paying loads on hard drives already, Doing on-site back ups yourself should be a lot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Onsite Drive copy isn't a disaster recovery solution. (theft, fire, building damage etc)

You would need several/many and keeping them off site and using them in rotation.

maybe there is Archival also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Any alternatives?

What your looking for doesnt exist in Ireland from ANY isp.
    All ISPs have a fair usage plan and no isp will see 750gb as fair.
    You want to look into business bb providers if yuor intend on doing that amount of bandwidth usage.
    UPC fup is @ 250gb / 500gb which is currently higher than any other isp.

Although your free to try magnet seeing as they apparently have a FUP but have never enforced it.:rolleyes: Something tells me 750gb a month will change that if its true. ;) Even then magnet wont say what the fup cap actually is unlike most others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

watty wrote: »
    Onsite Drive copy isn't a disaster recovery solution. (theft, fire, building damage etc)

You would need several/many and keeping them off site and using them in rotation.

maybe there is Archival also.

I am guessing you are a business user if you generate that amount of data PER MONTH and are looking for offsite backup. In which case look at the business packages from companies and be prepared to pay a hell of a lot more than €80 per month.

If your not a business I find it hard to believe that you generate 750GB of NEW data a month. Thats 9TB of NEW data a year!!!!

Also I have worked with some very large organisations which do not have offsite backups. Granted they have the primary datasource in a purpose build datacentre with RAID50, but if you can do offsite backups that would be idea.

If its just 1 computer you have with 750GB of storage on it and the storage has a growth rate of 10% per month (which would be high enough) i.e. 75GB of NEW data per month. Then you could get by with a personal UPC package and use something like http://www.carbonite.co.uk/ which will only update new/changed files hence reducing your bandwidth needs.

Christ I feel like I am in work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ekuryua

Thanks all for your answers.

I guess UPC it'll be. I'll find a way to get my initial TB up from somewhere else.(and yes, I do produce about 200GB of unique content every month, hosted in a large shared collocated server)

In any case, my new problem is that UPC doesn't seem to be able to find the gasworks estate...

Is there anyone living in the gasworks estate that knows how one must enter the data for upc's database to recognize it? I tried almost every single combination of building name/the gasworks/barrow street/dublin 4 without luck.

EDIT: I also tried calling UPC but they seem unable to find anything either. I am pretty sure people over there told me they had UPC though....

I'll be in the following building: http://goo.gl/maps/DfeT called "The dickens" in "The Gasworks" complex. Officially this is marked as being on Barrow Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks all for your answers.

I guess UPC it'll be. I'll find a way to get my initial TB up from somewhere else.(and yes, I do produce about 200GB of unique content every month, hosted in a large shared collocated server)

In any case, my new problem is that UPC doesn't seem to be able to find the gasworks estate...

Is there anyone living in the gasworks estate that knows how one must enter the data for upc's database to recognize it? I tried almost every single combination of building name/the gasworks/barrow street/dublin 4 without luck.

EDIT: I also tried calling UPC but they seem unable to find anything either. I am pretty sure people over there told me they had UPC though....

Tell UPC you are on Barrow St or South Lotts road and they should find it. I used to live in Shelbourne park they couldnt find it either. How do you generate 200GB every month if your a home user?

You could get a UPC business product (If the will let you) or a UPC and a ADSL/Wireless connect also.

Also Carbonite will throttle your connection after 200GB upload. You may have to shell out for an enterprise grade solution for what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I'll be in the following building: http://goo.gl/maps/DfeT called "The dickens" in "The Gasworks" complex. Officially this is marked as being on Barrow Street.

Throw an ethernet cable over to Google and ask them nicely if you can use their broadband for a while ;)

bhickey wrote: »
    Throw an ethernet cable over to Google and ask them nicely if you can use their broadband for a while ;)
    I actually will be working at google. Sadly I doubt they'd allow anything non-company.
    irishguy wrote: »
    Tell UPC you are on Barrow St or South Lotts road and they should find it. I used to live in Shelbourne park they couldnt find it either.
    I'll try with South Lotts, Barrow Street didn't seem to work on the online form, but maybe it'll work on the phone.
    How do you generate 200GB every month if your a home user?
    I actually have two hobbies really bad for that(photography/video making, and some fairly space intensive computational projects of my own). To be honest 200GB would probably a peak. I was more worried about the initial amount of data I still have to transfer online. Might be cheaper to go myself to my collocated server(or get someone to do it) and copy locally.
    You could get a UPC business product (If the will let you) or a UPC and a ADSL/Wireless connect also.
    I've been thinking of getting both, but it is a bit messy, and I heard getting DSL takes time. Is there anything city wide for wireless? I am quite worried of not having any internet access for a while when I move in.(I'm moving from abroad)
    Also Carbonite will throttle your connection after 200GB upload. You may have to shell out for an enterprise grade solution for what you want.
    No worries there, as I said, I have a lot of space on a shared collocated server:)(it's a 24*2TB disk server, shared between 4)

• Advertisement

Have you tried Magnet? I checked another premises on Barrow St and they can get the full range :

Business Broadband & Business Phone

* Managed Business Broadband (up to 24Mb)
    * Voicenet Premium range of products
    * ADSL2+
    * SHDSL

On a side note, have you any options available to reduce the amount of backup traffic, e.g. rsync, compression etc.?

Have you tried Magnet? I checked another premises on Barrow St and they can get the full range :

Business Broadband & Business Phone

* Managed Business Broadband (up to 24Mb)
    * Voicenet Premium range of products
    * ADSL2+
    * SHDSL
    mmm... what does the SHDSL mean in that case?(ie what do they have available in that range) Their website is quite confusing.
    Magnet did look good, but 24/1 is not very nice upload wise.(I'd rather have 4 symmetric than 24/1)

mmm... what does the SHDSL mean in that case?

It means "expensive". See here. Note the missing prices ;)

It means "expensive". See here. Note the missing prices ;)
    I might want to call then. I'm giving myself a budget of around 150€/month... which I do consider quite high but if it's good that'd be fine.

I might want to call then. I'm giving myself a budget of around 150€/month... which I do consider quite high but if it's good that'd be fine.

You've got BT, Google, Imagine all within a few hundred feet of you there. That area is probably riddled with fibre and all sorts of excess high-speed bandwidth. Maybe the Google IT guys can tell you more about what would be available?

You've got BT, Google, Imagine all within a few hundred feet of you there. That area is probably riddled with fibre and all sorts of excess high-speed bandwidth. Maybe the Google IT guys can tell you more about what would be available?
    That would make sense but I won't know until I get there(and I only start working on the 10th).

In any case, I wouldn't mind waiting if I can at least get a basic connection to load webpages, mail and similar. Any idea if there might be a company covering that zone in wifi? I don't mind paying per day a vodafone/similar wifi if it at least gives me basic internet access while I wait for something else.(One of the reasons I was interested by NTL/UPC too was that they give a <5working days delay, so I'd have chances of getting my modem when I arrive on the 7th)

Do you expect to have this broadband physically available to you at your desk in work or is it in a nearby residential location? Office/apartments etc. all can have their own complications when it comes to installing broadband as you'll often be dealing with a 3rd-party management company and won't necessarily have full control of what you can install.

It's a residential location nearby. And I do fully understand it's unlikely to work fast... (I do know that the previous tenant of the appt I have had ntl/upc working though)

It's a residential location nearby. And I do fully understand it's unlikely to work fast... (I do know that the previous tenant of the appt I have had ntl/upc working though)

Aaah! Well in that case I'd say that NTL/UPC is a shoe in (or shoo-in?). Only problem is it's not going to cost you anywhere near €150 per month ;)

Their 100Mbit product has 7Mbit upload and costs €87.75 per month without their TV offering. A 12 month contract will apply to pretty much any provider.

Aaah! Well in that case I'd say that NTL/UPC is a shoe in (or shoo-in?). Only problem is it's not going to cost you anywhere near €150 per month ;)

Their 100Mbit product has 7Mbit upload and costs €87.75 per month without their TV offering. A 12 month contract will apply to pretty much any provider.

I think I'll go for that:)

By the way, any idea what might be the number to call upc that's not a 1 800 number? Those don't work from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

UPC do have a business section so perhaps talk to them
    http://business.upc.ie/

In particular
    http://business.upc.ie/products/small_to_medium_enterprises/products/

One problem I do see is that you're looking for upstream bandwidth. You're going to spend days uploading anything of decent size.

Advertisement