Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly one of the best street photographers ever? A complete unknown, until now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Went thru the 1st thirty and obviously they were the 50s ones, they're not all street which sort of diminishes the storybook in a way, was there no fill flash in those days? :D

I'm more into the social street photography myself and the pics I did look at were a mixed bag of upper class and working class.

I'll def check them out some more when I get back in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

I had a quick look at the gallery and then i read that article,
    I was quite intrigued by the story, and has made me a bit more curious to view more of her pictures.

back to the gallery i go for another look.

Cheers for sharing the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i saw a thread here last year bout her. was it here? might have been here. MUST have been here. anyway i found this link on whatever forum it was and have been following it since. i'd love to see the documentary if/when it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

artyeva wrote: »
    i saw a thread here last year bout her. was it here? might have been here. MUST have been here. anyway i found this link on whatever forum it was and have been following it since. i'd love to see the documentary if/when it comes out.

Yeah, late 2009 I think the story broke initially, after some discussion on the street photography group on flickr.

boardsie thread ... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055713808

There's some really strong stuff there all right. Although, a bit like HCB, she obviously wasn't too concerned with what went on after she hit the shutter button, given that Maloof ended up with a 1000 or so undeveloped rolls. IIRC he sold some of the shots on EBay as well before coming to his senses and made some effort to get them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

She did seem to live for the shoot rather than the result, though those undeveloped rolls might just be ones she never wanted seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if the internet had existed in her day , I'm she sure would have got her just recognition - great story - i think it is important to capture all classes of society - the rich and poor - we all have a story

nice one thecagey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I found it in Flickr central, people often post up links to photographers from all eras. Though some of them have some great images, without a story or interesting bio on the photographer, they're just nice old images. I thought this story was sweet, and kind of sad. I wish a genuine, poor but hard working, photographer or collector had found them though. This guy knows nothing, only monetary value.

Advertisement