Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Shut-Down.

Options
  • 30-12-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Really feel for some retailers around Kilkenny and think the weather really hurt a lot of them leading up to Xmas.When you hear some of the rents they have to pay, really makes you wonder how they can survive and make a decent living from it.Not wishing to be a prophet of doom but can see a lot of closures in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Sales are down 10% on last year, which was a veritable sh!t sandwich in itself.

Rents are governed largely by the economics of supply and demand, and you can get seriously good deals on commercial rent these days as a result, despite the fact that some of the old boom boyso still think they'll get 2006 prices if they hold on long enough. Yeah. Course you will.

It's RATES, not rents which need to be addressed. Do we really need all those councillors? 12 people?

How would we go about getting it cut to maybe 3 or 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Do we really need all those councillors? 12 people?

How would we go about getting it cut to maybe 3 or 4?

Get rid of McGuinness. No good waste of space licking arse to get votes... I remember when the house across the road from me caught on fire and he was the first person on the scene. Cue some chin rubs and head scratching!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Get rid of McGuinness. No good waste of space licking arse to get votes... I remember when the house across the road from me caught on fire and he was the first person on the scene. Cue some chin rubs and head scratching!!
    and were you in any way suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Probably trying to see what he could fleece out of the house and sell it on to make a tidy profit.

But yeah, council rates are ridiculous. They're the biggest headache to get in the post and if your business is struggling anyway it's just another kick in the teeth. 3 or 4 councillors is all we need. Send some of the old dinosaurs out to pasture. Or whatever it is old dinosaurs do with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Not just retail, I was in the Hebron estate yesterday and their was a abundance of empty units everywhere which would of had business's there. Rates are now a big killer for business's. They kept increasing them in the good times and keep trying to do the same in the bad time. Small business's are the most vulnerable, they get absolutely no assistance from anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

catbear wrote: »
    and were you in any way suspicious?

Hahaha nah, this house was rented out to three alcoholics. This was their third time to burn it down. The council just keep refurbishing it and putting them back into it...
    Threadhead wrote: »
    Probably trying to see what he could fleece out of the house and sell it on to make a tidy profit.

He doesn't need any money, I went out with an ex of his for sometime... I could tell you some stories!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I could tell you some stories!

Do continue.................. :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hahaha nah, this house was rented out to three alcoholics. This was their third time to burn it down. The council just keep refurbishing it and putting them back into it...

He doesn't need any money, I went out with an ex of his for sometime... I could tell you some stories!
    Pixs or GTFO:D

I could tell you stories about trainers at low low prices, no questions asked.

I could tell you a few stories about men's aftershave and jeans at low low prices too.

We must have so many similar stories!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think in general the price of a lot of things has to fall. We'll all see soon what our take-home pay will be like when the changes in the budget kick in. And that on top of the pay cuts that lots of people have taken and of course all the poor unfortunates who are on the dole. People just don't/won't have the spare change rattling around in their pockets the way they did a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

I could tell you stories about trainers at low low prices, no questions asked.
    and some b...... shoes (ahhheem if u know what i mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Really feel for some retailers around Kilkenny and think the weather really hurt a lot of them leading up to Xmas.When you hear some of the rents they have to pay, really makes you wonder how they can survive and make a decent living from it.Not wishing to be a prophet of doom but can see a lot of closures in the coming weeks.

The funny thing is they claim they're hurting yet some of those store for nearly a week after Christmas.

It's hard for local businesses to turn a profit legitimately with all this low-overhead illicit street peddling of warez going on.

We should inform the counc.... oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The funny thing is they claim they're hurting yet some of those store for nearly a week after Christmas.

Store what?

this-DOESNT-MAKE-SENSE.jpg&percent=25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say he meant shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'd say he meant shut

Yeah. I mean't shut for nearly a week. That will teach me to read my posts before hitting the submit reply button again.

It's hard for local businesses to turn a profit legitimately with all this low-overhead illicit street peddling of warez going on.

We should inform the counc.... oh wait.

That's hilarious, because one time I saw this guy selling stolen goods on my street and I thought 'I should tell one of my local councillors about this' but on closer inspection, it seemed as if one of them already knew all about it. It turned out that he was going undercover as a guy selling stolen goods!

They are on the ball in fairness to them.

I also have to say I agree with the above poster. So many businesses have been shut down post Christmas (when there was no cold snap) that you really do have to wonder if they're hurting as much as they say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

"So many businesses have been shut down post Christmas (when there was no cold snap) that you really do have to wonder if they're hurting as much as they say."

Read the revenue returns from the revenue comissioners before making scattergun statements. The retail market is dead. Even 30 and 40 % reductions in prices make no difference to sales as people dont have the remaining 70 or 60% to spend. Lets get real here. A small high st unit is costing a retailer average 55000+ a year in rent, so with rates insurances and before staffing you are up to the bones of 80 to 90 grand before you open the door. No point opening the door if its costing you money down the drain. Do you work for nothing? Would you work for a loss?. I employ people, My efforts feed and educate people. My taxes pay for the local services you enjoy. So please don't insult people who take the risks with your blanket uninformed statments.

"'I should tell one of my local councillors about this' but on closer inspection, it seemed as if one of them already knew all about it. It turned out that he was going undercover as a guy selling stolen goods! "

It is the Gardai who investigate the sale of stolen goods not the council!.The council have no powers of arrest.

• Advertisement

You're right, I was thinking of the Jedi council.

You're right, I was thinking of the Jedi council.
    I think we'd be better off with the Jedi at least we'd see more action. Our local council put more emphasis on recycling christmas trees than basic services. BTW has anyone seen the Happy Christmas from Kilkenny Local Authorities road signs the council erected? Worthy of "1984"

Took some visitors to see the city yesterday. Wow a chip shop on the parade complete with cheap led sign. My God only in Kilkenny! Centre of culture and future centre of Norman Excellence. Time to throw in the towel!

I think chips are what tourists want to be honest. Better than tacky souveniers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think chips are what tourists want to be honest. Better than tacky souveniers.

Especially when you get a towel thrown in too. A Win/Win situation.

Yeah why not throw the parade tower open to hen parties while youre at it!

There's catering for the tower and I'm sure if you had the dosh a hen could be arranged.

t63m wrote: »
    [I employ people, My efforts feed and educate people. My taxes pay for the local services you enjoy. So please don't insult people who take the risks with your blanket uninformed statments.

I run a business in the city centre, I pay my council rates and I pay my taxes, so how dare you condescend me in such a self righteous manner. You, sir, have some serious neck. Did you dare to presume that I am unemployed? Did you dare presume that I am somehow unappreciative of local businesses? I am just as informed as you and how dare you assume otherwise just because you don't agree with what I said. You certainly didn't have to agree but there was absolutely no need to make assumptions on me and my character. Maybe you should focus your efforts on educating yourself and see if that benefits you?

I worked throughout December at an absolute loss. I was back in work on December 27th simply because it needed to be done. I genuinely don't get why some businesses were closed over the Christmas holidays when there was at least the opportunity to take advantage of the little custom that was there. I would have considered it an opportune time to try and maximise earnings in as much is possible. I will stand by my statement and I certainly won't be patronised by someone who does not know me in the slightest.

t63m wrote: »
    "'I should tell one of my local councillors about this' but on closer inspection, it seemed as if one of them already knew all about it. It turned out that he was going undercover as a guy selling stolen goods! "

It is the Gardai who investigate the sale of stolen goods not the council!.The council have no powers of arrest.

You should also educate yourself in the difference between joking and being serious before replying in such a patronising manner.

Do you jump guns for a living per chance?

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    I run a business in the city centre, I pay my council rates and I pay my taxes, so how dare you condescend me in such a self righteous manner. You, sir, have some serious neck. Did you dare to presume that I am unemployed? Did you dare presume that I am somehow unappreciative of local businesses? I am just as informed as you and how dare you assume otherwise just because you don't agree with what I said. You certainly didn't have to agree but there was absolutely no need to make assumptions on me and my character. Maybe you should focus your efforts on educating yourself and see if that benefits you?

I worked throughout December at an absolute loss. I was back in work on December 27th simply because it needed to be done. I genuinely don't get why some businesses were closed over the Christmas holidays when there was at least the opportunity to take advantage of the little custom that was there. I would have considered it an opportune time to try and maximise earnings in as much is possible. I will stand by my statement and I certainly won't be patronised by someone who does not know me in the slightest.

Ah "The fox with no tail"

Advertisement