Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Shut-Down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Much better to be the fox with no tail than the ass in the lions' skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Threadhead wrote: »
    You, sir, have some serious neck. Did you dare to presume ....Maybe you should focus your efforts on educating yourself and see if that benefits you?QUOTE]

Yeah I'll learn to cut and paste from Jane Austen like you.

This is becoming boring................................................

You would presume I've read Jane Austen wouldn't you?

Break time is over little man, go back to class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I believe Mary's lane is the traditional venue for the settling of ungentlemanly behaviour. Rotten tomatoes at twenty paces!

Seriously though guys, both your businesses are suffering but neither one of you are at fault for that. Redirect your attention towards the elephants on the main street, AIB and Bank of Ireland, each bailed out by you and me the taxpayer. (everyone is indirectly taxed through VAT)
    Both of these zombie entities and the politicians who saved them (don't forget FG, they voted for the bailout too) are more worthy of your scorn and frustration. It has become them (bankers and the political protectors) versus us (all of us, consumers, workers and employers) and they would be quite happy for us to tear eachother apart first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

What businesses do ye run, if you don't mind me asking?

In happier news, I discovered the wonders of Nelly's Farm Shop today. Will definitely be back. Nice place, nice stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Looks like the council are asleep regarding the pain being suffered by shop owners. Probably will attempt to address the rates issue when it's too late and shop owners are gone beyond breaking point. Retailers really should unite and march on the council, it's time that they are answerable to their true paymasters; the rates payers.

In the meantime, we say goodbye to:

Celtic Bookmakers - 2 shops.
    Mocha on William St. & Rose Inn St.
    Toni & Guy http://tinyurl.com/3agm8s8

Interesting article by Lord Sugar today regarding small businesses.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/lord-sugar/my-message-to-small-businesses-for-2011/179399492080555

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

NEWS:::

HMV IN KILKENNY AT RISK OF CLOSURE, AS HMV ANNOUCES THE CLOSURE OF 60 STORES UK AND IRELAND!

Read..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

RobitTV wrote: »

HMV IN KILKENNY AT RISK OF CLOSURE, AS HMV ANNOUCES THE CLOSURE OF 60 STORES UK AND IRELAND!

Read..

I think you started enough threads about it already! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

RobitTV wrote: »

Read..

Ah bugger! Santy bought an xBox there the week before Christmas. I even asked the assistant whether there was a chance of them closing down post Christmas just like Zavvi did a few years ago and leaving Santy in the shite if there was problem with it and was told no chance. Grrrrr. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ah bugger! Santy bought an xBox there the week before Christmas. I even asked the assistant whether there was a chance of them closing down post Christmas just like Zavvi did a few years ago and leaving Santy in the shite if there was problem with it and was told no chance. Grrrrr. :mad:

I'd say if there's an issue you could visit one of the other stores, I know it'd be a trek or maybe they'd allow you to post it? You probably won't have to visit that avenue (I hope you don't). I hope it doesn't close, it'd be bad for the staff and MacDonagh really needs all it can get. At the moment, it's idle speculation that they're going to close the one in Kilkenny, I know it's about 1/5 of their stores closing, which if evenly spread would be 3-4 in the republic. They have 10 stores in Dublin, 2 in Limerick and one in Sligo so there's good hope there, as far as I'm concerned (I'm assuming Cork and Galway stores are safe). I remember when a company I was working for went into administration and we found out via a customer who saw it on Sky news, really uncomfortable. Unfortunately when it hits the news, people are afraid to shop there for more expensive stuff like an XBox. I don't think RobitTV has done anyone any favours by pointing Kilkenny out, especially as no reason was given why Kilkenny in particular, who knows, maybe the Kilkenny store has the biggest % profit for their Irish stores.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Regarding rates for business owners,might be worth taking a look at this site

http://www.cpssurveyors.ie/businessrates.php

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Advance pitstop is gone aswell along with several other outlets nation wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Retreat pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

500sel wrote: »
    Advance pitstop is gone aswell along with several other outlets nation wide.
    I think they are gone now. Only one lad didn't get let go and he's gone down to the Carlow branch. Bad fcuking times:(

I noticed Kim's Cakes on John Street is closed down. And Maria's Cakes on Kieran Street is gone too. Yesterday was a bad day to go cake shopping.

Maria's Cakes is still in operation.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=355265311950

I notice Home Heat Solutions(think this is the name) is gone also beside Kim's Cakes.

Great article by David McWilliams this weekend,

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2011/01/08/if-i-was-taoiseach-what-i-would-do-to-save-ireland

Comment by editor of Independent on the article,

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/a-new-dawn-people-not-banks-2489520.html

Advertiser on Kilkenny Council Budget 2011, claims Kilkenny has lowest rates in the country.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/34981

Good post Davidian.

So far we've had the "Don't cut me" marches but we need to cut the banks from the taxpayer. I've told my local TD years ago but it has to be from everyone for them to take action.

I don't think it is open anymore though, there was a book shop in there over Christmas. The same book shop that used to be Tall Stories and then was on High Street for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I started a facebook page.

I know 'facebook pages never did anything' etc etc but they're quite useful for organising protests and gathering like minded individuals etc. Please feel free to join and tell your friends:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-want-a-referendum-on-the-bank-bailout/117684131636405

I should have stated that Maria's Cakes is operating from her own home now. Details are on her facebook page.

• Advertisement

I should have stated that Maria's Cakes is operating from her own home now. Details are on her facebook page.

Aha, cheers. That's great. Those cakes are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

t63m wrote: »
    "So many businesses have been shut down post Christmas (when there was no cold snap) that you really do have to wonder if they're hurting as much as they say."

Read the revenue returns from the revenue comissioners before making scattergun statements. The retail market is dead. Even 30 and 40 % reductions in prices make no difference to sales as people dont have the remaining 70 or 60% to spend. Lets get real here. A small high st unit is costing a retailer average 55000+ a year in rent, so with rates insurances and before staffing you are up to the bones of 80 to 90 grand before you open the door. No point opening the door if its costing you money down the drain. Do you work for nothing? Would you work for a loss?. I employ people, My efforts feed and educate people. My taxes pay for the local services you enjoy. So please don't insult people who take the risks with your blanket uninformed statments.

Let's be honest here. Shops being closed for nearly a week after Christmas is not some new thing because of the current Economy. Its been going on for years. Well before the economic bust.

If you're closed when your potential customers are able to shop and buy then that is your fault and your problem. If you want to close between 1-2 [usually shops are closed well past 2] when people people are on their lunch break and then close at 6pm when they are off work and closed on weekends then how can anybody with a straight face expect to make money.

Retail is not a 9-6, M-F job. You don't want to work past 6 and have to work on weekends you better find yourself another way to make money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I make about 75% of my commission on the weekends when all the staff are in together competing for sales. Very quiet though, there isn't a demand for after six shopping outside of essentials, in my opinion. I agree with the previous post, shops really should be open through lunch and on the weekends and straight after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Threadhead wrote: »
    I noticed Kim's Cakes on John Street is closed down. And Maria's Cakes on Kieran Street is gone too. Yesterday was a bad day to go cake shopping.

No he closes for a couple of weeks and takes a break in January every year when business is quiet, I remember him telling me that before.

He should probably put a sign up or something. Place looked closed down. It's open this morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I notice Powers on John Street near the entrance to the Rivercourt is gone.

He's been gone a while now. I know we're on about business closing but does anyone here think there is potential for a new business in Kilkenny and which ones? I was talking to someone with a business in KK and he said he wouldn't open another business here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Good question. I reckon the only business which would do well at the moment is one which provides or sells something which would undercut the prices of similar businesses locally. I'm thinking of a GP would would charge maybe €15 or €20 per visit, a pharmacy selling drugs at UK or continental prices, cheap fuel, restaurants where you could have a carvery type dinner for a fiver. That sort of thing.

http://www.elevenpatrickstreet.com/givingastart

Keep banging heads and you might come up with an entry.

In a few Spainish city you'll find Fresco, an all you can eat healthy option for under €9.
    This is the only link in English i could find.
    http://granadamap.com/fresco/
    I'd love this kind of option but kilkenny is small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Firetrap wrote: »
    Good question. I reckon the only business which would do well at the moment is one which provides or sells something which would undercut the prices of similar businesses locally. I'm thinking of a GP would would charge maybe €15 or €20 per visit, a pharmacy selling drugs at UK or continental prices, cheap fuel, restaurants where you could have a carvery type dinner for a fiver. That sort of thing.
    There is a doc that only charges 20e per visit though

Advertisement