Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Shut-Down.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There is? Tell me more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

I run a business in Kilkenny, and I have to say that between the Rates/Rent/Tax/Banks/"A few other things", you are given very little chance to get on with trying to employ people and make a small living from it.

AIB cut our overdraft in November and (temporarily) closed our merchant account, leaving us without the facility to take credit/debit cards for over a week, a service which is vital to our business. This is despite us trading within our agreed guidelines for over two and a half years with them?? You work it out.

In fairness, our landlord eventually dropped the rent, but it was a long hard messy fight with him, and there are issues still ongoing with it that I can't get into here. The council currently are adopting a zero tolerance with regards to rates, despite us getting SFA tangible for the privilege of paying them.

We try and source as much from local suppliers, and we do have a very large band of loyal customers, but the politics that goes on from some of our competitors, is beyond belief, and a number of incidents have happened which could have seriously affected our business, or put us out of business totally.

We employ 9 people, and our taxes are (more or less) up to date, I'm just hoping that things pick up after Paddy's weekend, which is when we normally see a turnaround in trade...

Advertisement