Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nova..Good or Bad...

• 30-12-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what people generally think of Nova ...

Vote "Good" if you think they're doing everything to satisfy your listening preferances , ..or

"Bad" if there are things/people that irritate you, or could be done a lot better..

Or "Meh"..if you maybe dont listen that often,or dont think either of the other options suit..

I have to vote "Bad"..imo they're just not trying hard enough,its not hard to play songs on the radio... if they're not careful , someone else will come along and do it right..:o

Nova ..Good , Bad, Indifferent.. 24 votes

Good..wouldnt change a thing..
    0% 0 votes
    Bad..submit your gripes..
    54% 13 votes
    Meh....whatever..
    45% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Good for me. Quite happy i don't have to listen to lady gaga, britney, and justin bieber. and they play full albums of Pink Floyd and The Doors. - +100000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

Good post idea Sids. Have to totally agree with you, not what I thought at all after hearing the test broadcast. I've actually found I'm listening to Planetrock more since Nova started. Sounds so much more professional.

And for the record Nova isn't the only Irish radio station that needs to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The quality of the music is great, but it still suffers the same ****e every other station does...dickhead djs with the gift of the silver tongue, the same news headlines on the hour every hour...and the ****ing advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm going to spend the next few hours listening as its been a while (which proably tells its own story).

Sorry that didn't last long.....too many idiot ads/announcements/bad music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

It's a bad for me. I love the idea of a rock station and I do listen quite a bit, but it's mainly the repetition and the often very predictable bland 'classic rock' that lets it down.

The presenters are ok, although Pat Courtenay is like a parody of a stereotypically cheesy DJ...truly awful. I'm still waiting for them to give the newsreader, John Harte, a show of his own. He's one of the most natural broadcasters they have, imo.

However, Louise Molony and Breffni Clack...oh my ears! Those unbearable D4/Dort accents (it's a real pet hate of mine). I just have to switch over when they are on...and with Breffni reading the news on the hour and Louise constantly voicing ads...it ends up being a regular switching off of Nova. These two are so bad that they make the AA Roadwatch girls tolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

They're absolutely awful. They've taken a classic rock licence and implemented an oldies station with it. I can barely listen to them. I tuned in on the way to work today and it was painful. Tiny Dancers by Elton John? FFS! Yesterday I heard them play New Order..
    And when they do veer into rock territory it's always middle of the road crap that you can hear on any station. All the old, safe hits. Bon Jovi etc. It's Oldies for Dummies.
    Is it possible to petition for their licence to be revoked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

IMHO its the people in charge, I wouldnt blame the dj's for the mundane repetitive "rock" they play, i'm guessin they're told to stick to a strict playlist or else.....;)
    Who's the programme controller, who do they answer to...:confused:
    Other people i've talked about Nova seem to express the same gripes that appear on here.Wonder what their JNLR figures will be like.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Some good music,but trying to hard to keep the overweight taxi driver demographic happy.

example

02/Jan/2011 17:45 Boys of Summer -Don Henley

Thats some random choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing wrong with Don Henley - ex Eagles must count as classic rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So middle of the road it should have lines on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They do occasionally come up with a little gem you haven't heard for years to bring a smile to your face. Usually though all very predictable.

Having said that most of the stuff considered predictable on Nova would delight if you heard it on any of the mainstream fm stations in Ireland.

NB didn't vote as there wasn't an option for good but could do better

A funny thing happened yesterday...Driving back from Wicklow, 2.30pm Today FM on as i'm out of range of Nova...The Clash , London's calling is playing..sweet....get to Kilpedder song finishes and some crap comes on..i hit the preset for Nova and guess what song has just started playing...yep the same Clash song........coincidence :rolleyes:..or are the Nova dj's listening to Today fm........;) ..IMO if Today FM played the same artists as Nova it would be bye bye Nova...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mutton dressed as lamb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bit of grown up music that hasnt been messed around with makes a nice change after years of the same useless x factor type rubbish.

Carol Dooley standing in for GG...:eek:....i've switched off...talk about a dull show, she does'nt seem to have any personality...its like listening to a receptionist playing her favorite records...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sids Not wrote: »
    .or are the Nova dj's listening to Today fm........;) ..

You think the DJs pick their own music?

No, the head of music or programme director would have scheduled the music - probably up to a week ahead. And no, they're not using Today FM's playlist to pick it. It is, of course, what's known as a "coincidence" :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Nova have completely lost me, I have given them a few chances because I really do like the music for the most part. However I can no longer stand the amount of talk, and the quality of that talk.

They lost me a couple of months ago when I counted 13 minutes between songs. However I went back this morning and had a similar experience. There seems to be an issue with the top of the hour as they can go from 3 minutes to the hour to 10 minutes past without playing a song.

No offence to Breffni Clack, I'm sure she is lovely, but she does not have a voice for Radio news. I think she would be more suited to presenting "Expose" on TV3 or something! This morning's 9 news went on for 9 minutes. Is that really necessary for a music station like Nova? If I want in depth news I can listen to Newstalk. Get in, get the headlines done and dusted in 2 minutes, and gtfo and play some more music please.

Now perhaps Nova's license has a minimum talk time clause in it, I don't know, but if so perhaps it should be revisited.

I would also say that their choice of show for drive times (morning and evening) could do with revisiting. Pat Courtney plays some good music, but talks to much and too much s***e at that. The Rock Report should be moved from it's 6pm slot. If I want to listen to talk while driving I will listen to Newstalk. And that's what I've had to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Hardly a newsflash but for me, Nova is boring. As for Dee, was she not surplus to requirements when on Strawberry Alarm Clock?

Imaging awful which surprises me given that The Rock was the genesis and Kevin Branigan is acting CEO. The more cynical might argue they got what they deserve given the amount of on-air dumped from the Rock. Personally, ive stopped listening something I wouldn't have conceived of 4 months ago. Opportunity missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't really mind Marty Miller as such. Don't listen to a lot of Nova but he seems to be one of those less talk, more music type jocks.

Having said that, it's usually the same tunes every day. Tony Fenton-esque without the crappy false American accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

spockety wrote: »

Pat Courtney plays some good music, but talks to much and too much s***e at that. .

talks way too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I think the music has improved somewhat but I don't get to listen that often now so can't really comment on repetition tho I suspect there may be quite a bit. Listened to Pat James for a while last night and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of the way radio used to be. I.e. free from the restraints of a format while sticking to the remit.
    I have to agree with Btr. The imaging is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes it has its faults but where else would you hear Whole Lotta Rosie at 8.30 in the morning ? Has to be worth it for that

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

I have to say,I'm in and out with Nova.

Yes,they play some great music,but the level of repetitiveness,is really starting to piss me off.

The midday mini concert,is a repeat offender,they have played the same three songs by Dire Straits,U2,AC/DC on at least three different occasions.

On the Five O'Clock double shot,I've heard "Jeremy" and "Alive"by Pearl Jam four times now.

Queen,Zeppelin,Springsteen,Creedence,and the rest that they play,have more than 5 songs in their back catalogue,so vary the playlist,play some album tracks,try something to shake it up.

Oh,and on no occasion is it acceptable to play Billy Idol..........SO STOP.

While I'm on a rant,tell Courtney he is not funny,not wacky,not irreverent,just plain f*cking annoying.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

greendom wrote: »
    Yes it has its faults but where else would you hear Whole Lotta Rosie at 8.30 in the morning ? Has to be worth it for that

Last comment from me . Yip I agree you'll hear Rosie @ 8.30am but Nova seem to be have something against album tracks. Take Springsteen for example - well in excess of 20 albums and Nova seem to have playlisted about 4 singles. Thats the nub. Many compliment Pat James and rightly so but I'm told he's one if the few allowed to pick his own tracks. Message to Nova - does this not tell ye something !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I heard Greg Gaughran commenting yesterday on the retirement of FF TD Noel Treacy, due to medical advice. "Brass neck syndrome they call it", was Greg's hilarious joke. I think you'll find he's fighting cancer, Gaughran.

Of all the DJ's on the airwaves, I think he's probably the last one who should be making any judgement on others, jokingly or not. Stick to playing the records.

Btr wrote: »
    Last comment from me . Yip I agree you'll hear Rosie @ 8.30am but Nova seem to be have something against album tracks. Take Springsteen for example - well in excess of 20 albums and Nova seem to have playlisted about 4 singles. Thats the nub. Many compliment Pat James and rightly so but I'm told he's one if the few allowed to pick his own tracks. Message to Nova - does this not tell ye something !!!

I just dont get their reasoning...PJ plays WTF he likes (or will get away with;)) and does'nt offend anyone...so they stick him on on sunday night ..are they hoping no-one's listening..:confused:....meanwhile you get the daytime shower who cant stop fkn talking and are stuck playing the same singles tracks every day..
    I actually feel angry about their (Nova) disregard to their somewhat "loyal" listeners...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I liked them at first & I wanted them to be as ground breaking as the 1st radio Nova back in the 80s, (but they are not) and as time has gone by I realise that they play a lot of the same stuff time & time again, nothing ground breaking, nothing too new, and with no new ideas > like they're stuck in an old groove (excuse the pun) run by ageing Irish DJs from 1988. 'Hospital Radio' run by, and designed for Irish over fifties who suffer with short term memory loss & limited musical taste :)

I tend to listen to BBC Radio 2 or Radio 6 these days (very fresh & always introducing new top drawer stuff), while playing the older classics too.

If I'm in the car then I'm stuffed, which means that I am stuck with the very limited local selection, inc Nova :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alanoshea

I have it on in the van quite a bit of the time but I do hear the same songs way too often. I like it but would listen even more if it did not repeat the same songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I listened to it regularly for a few weeks, but as time went on, some of the DJs really started to get on my nerves. The Australian guy, whatever his name is, particularly grated.
    Also, like most radio stations, the same songs getting played constantly. There are only so many times I can listen to 'freebird' on the way to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Agree with a lot of whats been said, way too much talk from the DJs. The station started off great but its starting to turn into a soft rock station. Ive moved back to Phantom despite my relative dislike of indie music and its followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I put it on in work last week and I can almost swear that the playlist on Friday was practically played in reverse on Monday. Too samey altogether.

Someone should teach their "newscasters" how to pronounce place names and the names of some pretty famous people and that John Harte fella is too smug by far.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

I dip in now and again. Mainly it has to be sad after midnight. I do like the album show at 11 which I get some of the time. Pat Courtney's ads annoy me let alone having to actually listen to his show. Lots of repetition in the overnight music. It consists of mainly Rory Gallagher, the Boss, Lizzy, Mamas Boys - Needle in the Groove, and then a few other Irish artists thrown in as well for filler before playing more RG, springsteen.. Pat James is fantastic. It reminds me of why I loved radio all those years ago when I was a teenager, but that you rarely hear anymore, like when radio was an actual musical education. It could get very annoying after a while though. They need more album tracks.

Advertisement