Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent babies gagged/sedated in public?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

hondasam wrote: »
    parents become so immune to the crying that the forget it annoys everyone else around them. There is nothing worse than a crying baby in a restaurant. I would say there is a difference in a bold child and an upset child. no one likes to hear a baby upset.

In my opinion once a baby starts crying - whether because bold or upset - they should be brought outside and comforted and brought back in when quiet.

It simply is just not fair to the other patrons.

omen80 wrote: »
    stick photos all over the place around their desk........get a f*$king life!

Ah no sure they're not bothering you are they.

And at least photos are quiet and not crying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Meh Babies cry, its what they do. A parent should make an effort to calm them down, but at the end of the day sometimes babies just cry. Personally, I don't mind it much, there just babies at the end of the day, and we were all that age at one point. Seems a bit childish to get to worked up about it imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah no sure they're not bothering you are they.

And at least photos are quiet and not crying!

That is true, but photos of babies remind me of how annoying they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Most people shouldn't be allowed have babies...

But then who would take care of you in your old age? ;)

Seriously, though, gagging and sedating babies? Harsh. We were all in the same boat once apon a time, y'know.

I could think of more grown ups who could do with gagging and sedating than the little critters who can't really control their emotions yet.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

qz wrote: »
    Damn inconsiderate babies. It's not as if all of us were ever babies.

Irrelevant point is irrelevant.
    Anyway, my main issue is with parents who have no desire to control their demented little brats, rather than the demented little brats themselves.
    Unless the demented little brats are old enough to be expected to behave for about 10% of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Irrelevant point is irrelevant.
    Anyway, my main issue is with parents who have no desire to control their demented little brats, rather than the demented little brats themselves.
    Unless the demented little brats are old enough to be expected to behave for about 10% of the day.

There has been a movement away from using dummies. That used to quiten em down. In reality however , there is less baby noise than ever. It is part of life, deal with it.

wes wrote: »
    Meh Babies cry, its what they do. A parent should make an effort to calm them down, but at the end of the day sometimes babies just cry. Personally, I don't mind it much, there just babies at the end of the day, and we were all that age at one point. Seems a bit childish to get to worked up about it imho.

But it goes through my head??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If I ever do decide to have children, it won't be until I can afford full time help to mind the creature so I don't have to bring it with me when I leave the house. I've suffered enough from other people's babies to subject others to that annoyance.

And don't get me started on prams in shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

In my opinion once a baby starts crying - whether because bold or upset - they should be brought outside and comforted and brought back in when quiet.

It simply is just not fair to the other patrons.

I agree but I would have more sympathy / tolerance for the parents of an upset baby rather than the parents of a spoiled brat. I just have no time for bold children. You know the child that starts because the are in public.

• Advertisement

It is part of life, deal with it.

Idiot. At least say something intelligent please............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I wish parents would just leave the damn kids at home if they're going to a restaurant.

And what's the point of bringing a 1-2 year old on holidays. Dump them with the nearest relative, they're not going to remember a damn thing about the holiday.

To me a baby crying beside me in a cafe is like someone drill-hammering beside me.

If the person with the drill does not make moves to stop or move I am angry :mad:

If the adult with the baby does not make moves to stop the baby crying or take baby away I am angry :mad:

If I ever do decide to have children, it won't be until I can afford full time help to mind the creature so I don't have to bring it with me when I leave the house. I've suffered enough from other people's babies to subject others to that annoyance.

I hate those little shopping trolleys the kids go around in, I have to shop at night time to avoid them. I think their should be adult hrs for shopping and no kids allowed.

Im so mean :)

There has been a movement away from using dummies. That used to quiten em down. In reality however , there is less baby noise than ever. It is part of life, deal with it.

Link to the science bit showing this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

sesna wrote: »
    I wish parents would just leave the damn kids at home if they're going to a restaurant.

Agreed.

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Best advice is to steer well clear, 'cos Mam/Dad are probably stressed to the eyeballs and don't want some pr*ck approaching them at that exact second.

If mam/dad are so stressed they should go to a tapas bar to calm down for a while...I hear Portugal do good tapas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TheZohan wrote: »
    I hear Portugal do good tapas.

:pac:

I hate those little shopping trolleys the kids go around in, I have to shop at night time to avoid them. I think their should be adult hrs for shopping and no kids allowed.

God you are! :)

No as long as they are quiet and well behaved I don't care

Damn straight! High five.......

I wish parents would realise that other people don't give a flying f*$k about their babies. It's so annoying when people bring them into work etc to show them off and stick photos all over the place around their desk........get a f*$king life!

Who's forcing you to look at a few photo's? What harm are they doing you exactly?
    Don't your family have any pics of you around the place...surely it's unfair for visitors to have to gawp at your childhood pics when they come round, eh?

As for the 'get a life' comment....sure, their children are a part of their life. Is your life somehow more meaningful simply because you haven't procreated yet?

Some people seem to have a massive baby sized chip on their shoulders around here....the vitriol is something else!

• Advertisement

It is part of the child and parents life not mine so why should I have to deal with it. I did not ask for a screaming child while Im trying to enjoy my breakfast/lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Even aside from babies, children who can't STFU for periods of time longer than 30 second absolutely do my head in.
    I commute from Dundalk to Dublin daily for college. In the run up to Christmas, there were regularly loads of kids on the bus with their parents, going Christmas shopping. One day I had to sit at the very back because there weren't any seats closer to the front. I saw two women approach the back of the bus, one with a boy who was seven or eight and the other with a girl who was ten or eleven. What followed was torture of the highest order. About two hours of it too, because the traffic/roads were so bad. The girl was the worst because she actually could not shut up. She would take a massive breath, screech for twenty seconds or so, gasp or another breath, repeat. She sang a song to who I presume was her mother, over and over and over again. The woman called a man who I presume was the girl's father or something, and she sang the freaking song to him over the phone. I was on the verge of tearing my hair out. Then every so often you could hear the boy asking the other woman something, because rather than speaking he shouted. Why weren't they either:
    a) told to shut up or
    b) told to be a bit quieter?
    a) would be the ideal as far as I was concerned but I was more than willing to compromise.
    The funny thing was there was a very young baby on the bus too, not a peep did it make the whole way home. But these two brats went on and on and on. Yeah, it's a fact of life and I just have to deal with it. What I shouldn't have to deal with, however, includes:
    • bad parenting.
    • people being downright inconsiderate.
    • parents acting as if they're victims of some giant conspiracy against them.
    • people telling me I'm being unfair, they're only children, etc etc.

If you choose to have a child, you're choosing to deal with all the BS they generate. If you can't do that then DON'T HAVE CHILDREN. Simples. And if you choose to do something, such as have children who drive people demented and refuse to even try to do something about it, don't complain when people complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

I wish parents would realise that other people don't give a flying f*$k about their babies. It's so annoying when people bring them into work etc to show them off and stick photos all over the place around their desk........get a f*$king life!

although i think your correct that parents should have respect that babies arent everyones cup of tea, but i think your being to harsh about the pics etc, You say they should get a life..... is babies and children not their life.... give them a break.. its tough being a parent

How on earth did you get around shops when you were a baby?

It wasn't that long ago, that gripe water was about 30% alcohol, you didn't get too many screaming babies then.

Unless they were hungover! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No they're fine cause supermarkets have wide aisles. Its the prams, and the double prams in nrmal sized shops that anger me. Never forget when I was in work one day and this woman had a triple wide pram trying to manouver around. Come on like! We have wide doors but where els could she be going with that thing, how did it even fit inside her own house?

I hate prams!

/rant

God you are! :)

No as long as they are quiet and well behaved I don't care

I just cant stand all these little kids pushing little trolley's and getting in the way. sit them in your trolley and keep them out of the way of everyone else.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Nevore wrote: »
    I know little Jenny is probably a dote but if she starts crying while I'm enjoying my brekkie stand the fúck up and do something rather than carrying on as if you can't hear it.
    All seriousness aside, how do you deal with someone who won't make even a token effort? Babies cry, that's fine, but they can also be calmed down with a little bit of effort.

Do you have a baby? If you don't, which I'm pretty sure you can't (going by your comment), then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sometimes babies just cry. Sometimes people post crap on the internet. We all have to live with it.

It is part of the child and parents life not mine so why should I have to deal with it. I did not ask for a screaming child while Im trying to enjoy my breakfast/lunch.

If you're in a public place, you usually have to put up with the public, like it or not.

• Advertisement

Bring back phenergan and gripe water I say

(the ones with the alkyhawl in them)

Advertisement