Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent babies gagged/sedated in public?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No they're fine cause supermarkets have wide aisles. Its the prams, and the double prams in nrmal sized shops that anger me. Never forget when I was in work one day and this woman had a triple wide pram trying to manouver around. Come on like! We have wide doors but where els could she be going with that thing, how did it even fit inside her own house?

I hate prams!

/rant

Princess I am only guessing you did not admire the beautiful babies in the pram :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you have a baby? If you don't, which I'm pretty sure you can't (going by your comment), then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

lol, most of you lot dont have children.

Read this thread in 10 maybe 15 years - its amazing what a little knowledge, perspective and a dash of understanding will do to you

If you're in a public place, you usually have to put up with the public, like it or not.

True but Im also paying to eat in the restaurant, management have a duty to make sure their customers are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Who's forcing you to look at a few photo's? What harm are they doing you exactly?
    Don't your family have any pics of you around the place...surely it's unfair for visitors to have to gawp at your childhood pics when they come round, eh?

Someone's home is not the same as the workplace for a start. When I go to someone's house I would expect to see photos of themselves or their relations, that's perfectly normal. But photos all around an open office plan is just plain ridiculous.........I mean it looks so messy and can they not just imagine their children in their heads??? It's totally for the purpose of showing them off to everyone.
    As for the 'get a life' comment....sure, their children are a part of their life. Is your life somehow more meaningful simply because you haven't procreated yet?

Actually I have procreated. Easiest thing in the world to do, but having a life is something separate to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

snyper wrote: »

Read this thread in 10 maybe 15 years - its amazing what a little knowledge, perspective and a dash of understanding will do to you

Having children is not an inevitability.

I blame the parents.

Why bring your baby out?? Surely it is stressful for the parent having to balance the buggy/parphanalia and crying baby??

And then throw in getting looks from everyone when the baby cries.

Surely it would be easier all around to have tea in your own house or a friends house etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

hondasam wrote: »
    Princess I am only guessing you did not admire the beautiful babies in the pram :D

I'm not one of those women. I hate those people who talk weird to babies in a stupid voice and make faces. Its a baby, it doesnt know whats going on!

I do get the odd broody mood, very rarely. Depends on the baby. Cause I don't care what peolpe say, ugly babies do exist!

True but Im also paying to eat in the restaurant, management have a duty to make sure their customers are happy.

True. If there was drilling going on next door management would be in sharpish to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Pah, what good is that to us now, when we're being annoyed by noisy babies?

• Advertisement

It's not about having children It's about knowing where to bring them and not annoying everyone around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Look, I get your point, but the parents are paying customers too. It's unrealistic to expect parents to leave their kids at home just to convienience other non parents.

I remember a few years back, they used to provide creches in supermarkets for parents doing their shopping - I don't see them anymore, maybe something to do with insurance, I don't know, but it made life so much easier for everyone.

Shame there aren't more of them about nowadays.

Having children is not an inevitability.

of course, but chances are the majority of people here will have them in 15 years or so.

Their attitudes will change - i know mine did.

If you are a mother at home with 2 infant children - your chances to get out for a bit of "me time" are very short if non existent at all.

of course, but chances are the majority of people here will have them in 15 years or so.

*perhaps* Their attitudes will change - i know mine did.

FYP.

If you are a mother at home with 2 infant children - your chances to get out for a bit of "me time" are very short if non existent at all.

Okay, I get that. But surely even then "me time" would involve getting a break from the kids too!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I hate it when I am stuck on public transport and for the whole journey, the baby is crying.. I have taken to sitting upstairs with my music on full blast to try and cut the noise out :(

Look, I get your point, but the parents are paying customers too. It's unrealistic to expect parents to leave their kids at home just to convienience other non parents.

I remember a few years back, they used to provide creches in supermarkets for parents doing their shopping - I don't see them anymore, maybe something to do with insurance, I don't know, but it made life so much easier for everyone.

Shame there aren't more of them about nowadays.

Yes I know been a parent is not easy but sometimes parents choose to go to the wrong places maby, places that are not child friendly. I am a parent myself, It's not that I dont understand.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

angel01 wrote: »
    I hate it when I am stuck on public transport and for the whole journey, the baby is crying.. I have taken to sitting upstairs with my music on full blast to try and cut the noise out :(

Nothing I hate worse than an adult playing music full blast on public transport. Why should I have to be subjected to someone elses music choices???

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

It's not about having children It's about knowing where to bring them and not annoying everyone around you.

you cannot make cafe's and restaurants no baby zones, if you do, you are giving way to baby and parent only zones,

people give out enough about the car spaces can you imagine it if it was brought in for child friendly restaurants?

"Sir you do not have a child with you we can not allow you to purchase your big mac, this is a child only zone"

also people need to stop tarring all parents/children with the same brush, if my daughter throws a tantrum, i don't ignore her, i calm her down and get her to stop, while not giving into what she wants. its tough, but as her mother its my job!

Nothing I hate worse than an adult playing music full blast on public transport. Why should I have to be subjected to someone elses music choices???

;)

Maybe because your baby wont shut the f*ck up!

I'm not one of those women. I hate those people who talk weird to babies in a stupid voice and make faces. Its a baby, it doesnt know whats going on!

I do get the odd broody mood, very rarely. Depends on the baby. Cause I don't care what peolpe say, ugly babies do exist!

Ugly babies do exist :)

some children have faces only a mother could love.

• Advertisement

;)
    I totally agree with that, by the way. It's absolutely ridiculous that people think they can blast music on their phones on public transport. Get some earphones and turn it down, ffs.
    A bit of consideration from everyone and bam, problem solved. Unfortunately, like all sources of nuisance on public transport and other places too of course, it's just never going to go away. :(

Okay, I get that. But surely even then "me time" would involve getting a break from the kids too!?

It does in an ideal world. But the reality for many is it doesnt.

If you want to go out with your significant other - you cant as well leave the two infants at home under the stairs with a cut of bread and a remote control.

So invairably it means the children come too - if your lucky you will have some some that will be more than happy to take 2 infant children and babysit them - but unless they are a close friend or relative it will cost money and money is not folating around the place now - going to the cinema or for a coffee goes from maybe 20 quid to nearly 50 quid

It does in an ideal world. But the reality for many is it doesnt.

If you want to go out with your significant other - you cant as well leave the two infants at home under the stairs with a cut of bread and a remote control.

So invairably it means the children come too - if your lucky you will have some some that will be more than happy to take 2 infant children and babysit them - but unless they are a close friend or relative it will cost money and money is not folating around the place now - going to the cinema or for a coffee goes from maybe 20 quid to nearly 50 quid

I really do understand the practical concerns but it genuinely seems flimsy to me to describe going to the cinema or for a coffee and taking the kids along with you as "me time." Obviously it's highly idealistic to suggest that parents can just dump the kids and go have fun by themselves whenever the mood takes them. Balance just seems to be of crucial importance, and obviously sacrifices have to be made on both sides (sides being the best word I can think of, not trying to turn it into a "them against us" situation at all.)
    For example, holidays. It just seems appalling to me that people think it's perfectly okay to take their babies to Spain for a sun holiday or whatever. It's unfair on the child, and everyone who is travelling. Surely it's not unreasonable to expect that someone would sacrifice a foreign holiday with their children until they're old enough to be able to behave in that environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ipod on full blast, music of choice....Metallica or Queens of the Stone Age. I defy any baby to be heard above that. :pac:

Ipod on full blast, music of choice....Metallica or Queens of the Stone Age. I defy any baby to be heard above that. :pac:

There are times when it has felt like they've been training to outdo even the loudest of distractions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

Yes I know been a parent is not easy but sometimes parents choose to go to the wrong places maby, places that are not child friendly. I am a parent myself, It's not that I dont understand.:)

i don't entirely agree with your statement. i'm a parent and i think it's pretty easy. basically all you need to do is feed it, clean it, keep it warm and occasionally make oooey noises in order to solicit a laugh and everyone is happy.

i have no problems staying in a cafe, where i have bought a coffee, when the wee one starts crying and personally couldn't care less about other patrons. it's not that i stay there to deliberately annoy other people, it's just that i don't care about how other people may feel.

at the same time, if i don't have baby with me and i'm in the same cafe having my coffee and someone else has a little brat that won't shut up, i can never understand why they don't just stay at home. babies crying in public are so annoying when their not your own. some people are just inconsiderate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

I'm all for having baby free zones in fact they should build housing estates that people with kids arent allowed live in! But seriously people should stop pandering to their snotty nosed brats as much, i hate it in the supermarket when they throw tantrums when they dont get there own way and the parents are feeding them with goods not yet paid for (it's stealing technically!)

And dont get me started on kids in pub they should be BANNED completely

I went to Dundrum cimena Ateam or some other sh*t i think and some idiot actually had a toddler with her that spent the entire movie either crawling up and down the aisles or babbling, now it was kinda far enough away to not overly annoy me but what about all those others sitting around her that have just paid 10e odd for a ticket how is that fair on them and what were the staff doing letting her in with a baby in the first place????????????

d4v1d wrote: »
    i have no problems staying in a cafe, where i have bought a coffee, when the wee one starts crying and personally couldn't care less about other patrons. it's not that i stay there to deliberately annoy other people, it's just that i don't care about how other people may feel.

at the same time, if i don't have baby with me and i'm in the same cafe having my coffee and someone else has a little brat that won't shut up, i can never understand why they don't just stay at home. babies crying in public are so annoying when their not your own. some people are just inconsiderate

Did you read your post over? Talk about being hypocritical............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

This thread is becoming that episode of the Simposon when Linsday nagle had that group called "Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples And Teens And Gays Against Parasitic Parents" and Marge had the group called "Proud Parents Against Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens and Gays."

What side will you be on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

d4v1d wrote: »
    i don't entirely agree with your statement. i'm a parent and i think it's pretty easy. basically all you need to do is feed it, clean it, keep it warm and occasionally make oooey noises in order to solicit a laugh and everyone is happy.

Contradictory post of the day.

Its starts with your baby doesnt cry in public becasue you know what your doing.
    Then moves to my baby crys in public but I dont care Im sticking it to the man with no kids.
    Then moves onto you wondering why parents with kids dont just stay at home.
    And finally moves onto your cry of some people are just inconsiderate.

:confused::confused:

Was your post a longer way of saying, your inconsiderate?

Advertisement