Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent babies gagged/sedated in public?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

omen80 wrote: »
    Did you read your post over? Talk about being hypocritical............

i know. absurd isn't it!!! but it's true. can't stand other people doing what i do myself :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

omen80 wrote: »
    I wish parents would realise that other people don't give a flying f*$k about their babies. It's so annoying when people bring them into work etc to show them off and stick photos all over the place around their desk........get a f*$king life!

You don't care about their babies, but you do care about their desks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

No need to be a baby about it OP :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

My brother lives in London and he went to see HP and the Deathly hallows and for an extra £1 he could go to a child free viewing.

I have 2 kids and so I am pretty tolerant of noisy kids in public and I think in general Irish people are tolerant of kids. We had our 2 kids in a McDonalds in Moscow last winter and our daughter (aged 2 at the time) had a meltdown and if looks could kill.......
    Russian's like to eat their Big Macs in peace.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

amdublin wrote: »
    Yawn

Thanks for you input. Care to add something meaningful to the thread, or is this the best that you can do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

1 diazepam (valium) crushed into powder and mixed at a ratio of 1:8 bottles of milk should do it.
    Long haul flights, bump up the ratio to 1:5, and if the baby is a crier, just bring a few extra to hand out to the people near you if they complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

d4v1d wrote: »
    i don't entirely agree with your statement. i'm a parent and i think it's pretty easy. basically all you need to do is feed it, clean it, keep it warm and occasionally make oooey noises in order to solicit a laugh and everyone is happy.

i have no problems staying in a cafe, where i have bought a coffee, when the wee one starts crying and personally couldn't care less about other patrons. it's not that i stay there to deliberately annoy other people, it's just that i don't care about how other people may feel.

at the same time, if i don't have baby with me and i'm in the same cafe having my coffee and someone else has a little brat that won't shut up, i can never understand why they don't just stay at home. babies crying in public are so annoying when their not your own. some people are just inconsiderate

:confused:

I dont really know what you are saying TBH.

This thread is becoming that episode of the Simposon when Linsday nagle had that group called "Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples And Teens And Gays Against Parasitic Parents" and Marge had the group called "Proud Parents Against Singles, Seniors, Childless Couples and Teens and Gays."

What side will you be on?

The side with the least amount of children and noise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

About 3 months ago i was out with family at a restaurant. It was a birthday celebration. Unfortunately the event was soured with the presence of a dozy mother & an obviously very unhappy infant who sreamed the minute we sat down to almost when we left.
    Now before certain people try to twist words & generally make me out to be a child hating monster, of course a baby is going to cry & scream, thats all they can do to communicate when they're uncomfortable or hungry. Fair enough.
    But what annoyed me on this particular occasion was the complete & utter disregard the mother of this child had for the incessant screaming. She seemed too busy yapping to her friend & shovelling food into her gob to bother quitening down the youngster. Also it was about 7.30 when we arrived. Is that not a bit late to have a very young child out?
    Thats pretty fcuking annoying when your spending good money to have a nice meal only to become the victim of sh!t parenting. Ok mac donalds or kfc? Suck it up, you have to expect young families. But somewhere your paying a fair bit of money to enjoy the meal & the surroundings. If your child has a habit of kicking off in public, please don't ruin everyones elses night. Get a babysitter or relative to give you & your partner a few hours off.

I don't care that you have kids. Good for you, you can procreate, well done. Thats not my problem. In a restaurant at 8 o'clock at night, why should i have to be burdened with your burden? I didn't contribute to the conception & neither did all these other people. I just want to eat my dinner in peace without having to listen to a racket equal to the noise a 747 makes on take off.

I don't blame the kid. Its the selfish parents are to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MarkR wrote: »
    Thanks for you input. Care to add something meaningful to the thread, or is this the best that you can do?

Meh.

I've added plenty to this thread already but jebus that post was just so boring.

Like the whole "you obviously don't have children" statement. Change the record willya!

But thanks. Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you choose to have a child, you're choosing to deal with all the BS they generate. If you can't do that then DON'T HAVE CHILDREN. Simples. And if you choose to do something, such as have children who drive people demented and refuse to even try to do something about it, don't complain when people complain about it.

I was hoovering one evening, at about seven when there was a knock on my apartment door. I was asked would I mind not making such a racket by my neighbour 'cause her children were trying to sleep. Do I give a fuck? I have to listen to those little brats screaming around the apartment block all bloody day when I'm here. I mean they scream. They run riot as if the communal halls are a god damn playground. I'm so unbelievably sick of it. Grrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If people glare at my kids in a cafe, I send one of them over to their table holding a scuttery nappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

stovelid wrote: »
    If people glare at my kids in a cafe, I send one of them over to their table holding a scuttery nappy.

Well that is quite disgusting. Why would you do that :confused:

Because I'm a cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Jesus what a thread.... a thread about crying babies...... filled with nothing but crying babies....... go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its a classic irish parenting method show your children how not behave in public, then later blame it on society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

About 3 months ago i was out with family at a restaurant. It was a birthday celebration. Unfortunately the event was soured with the presence of a dozy mother & an obviously very unhappy infant who sreamed the minute we sat down to almost when we left.
    Now before certain people try to twist words & generally make me out to be a child hating monster, of course a baby is going to cry & scream, thats all they can do to communicate when they're uncomfortable or hungry. Fair enough.
    But what annoyed me on this particular occasion was the complete & utter disregard the mother of this child had for the incessant screaming. She seemed too busy yapping to her friend & shovelling food into her gob to bother quitening down the youngster. Also it was about 7.30 when we arrived. Is that not a bit late to have a very young child out?
    Thats pretty fcuking annoying when your spending good money to have a nice meal only to become the victim of sh!t parenting. Ok mac donalds or kfc? Suck it up, you have to expect young families. But somewhere your paying a fair bit of money to enjoy the meal & the surroundings. If your child has a habit of kicking off in public, please don't ruin everyones elses night. Get a babysitter or relative to give you & your partner a few hours off.

I don't care that you have kids. Good for you, you can procreate, well done. Thats not my problem. In a restaurant at 8 o'clock at night, why should i have to be burdened with your burden? I didn't contribute to the conception & neither did all these other people. I just want to eat my dinner in peace without having to listen to a racket equal to the noise a 747 makes on take off.

I don't blame the kid. Its the selfish parents are to blame.

HAHAHA "I don't blame the kid".....that is so generous. You are comical.

As a father of two young children (how'd ya guess) I welcome screaming babies in any restaurant I go to; and the louder the better. And if that upsets prim-nosed twenty somethings on their big night out well hohoho and a merry christmas to you; I have more things to do than worry about people who want the world to revolve around them.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    Jesus what a thread.... a thread about crying babies...... filled with nothing but crying babies....... go figure.

Hilarious......it'll all be forgotten when they have kids themselves.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Meh.

I've added plenty to this thread already but jebus that post was just so boring.

Like the whole "you obviously don't have children" statement. Change the record willya!

But thanks. Thanks for your input.

Yawn and meh. Excellent work. If you want to have a debate about this, then let's have a debate about this.

1. Do you have kids?

2. Were you a child at any stage? (I'm making a bit of an assumption here. The possibility remains that you are currently one.)

3. Did you at any stage in your childhood do or say anything that annoyed anyone? (Note point 2 may come in to play here

If you did, then you are being hypocritical.

So what's it going to be?

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Hilarious......it'll all be forgotten when they have kids themselves.

It also stands to reason that the people that are most intolerant of others are far more likely to become the worst offenders when they have their own little darlings.

• Advertisement

As a father of two young children (how'd ya guess) I welcome screaming babies in any restaurant I go to; and the louder the better. And if that upsets prim-nosed twenty somethings on their big night out well hohoho and a merry christmas to you; I have more things to do than worry about people who want the world to revolve around them.

why would you want to bring your children to a restaurant if the were not going to behave and enjoy it. how could you possibly enjoy you meal with your children upset.

I honestly think management will ask the parents to keep the children quiet or remove them.

It's the people with no children who will return on a regular basis and these are the customers management want.

Novella wrote: »
    I was hoovering one evening, at about seven when there was a knock on my apartment door. I was asked would I mind not making such a racket by my neighbour 'cause her children were trying to sleep. Do I give a fuck? I have to listen to those little brats screaming around the apartment block all bloody day when I'm here. I mean they scream. They run riot as if the communal halls are a god damn playground. I'm so unbelievably sick of it. Grrrr.

Again (as a parent of young kids) I'd be defo on your side on this one.....thats life, they live in an apartmen block what do they expect. If you were partying til 3am every night that would be different. But hoovering....

The parent blaming you because their kid couln't sleep is a bit like the person in the restaurant saying they couldn't enjoy themselves because of the screaming kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I just start playing with my ring tones on the loudest volume whenever there's a kid crying near me and parents ain't doing shít to try calm it down. I specifically put Scooter's greatest hits on my phone for those occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

someone should invent something like dogs have on so when they bark they get zapped.

hondasam wrote: »
    why would you want to bring your children to a restaurant if the were not going to behave and enjoy it. how could you possibly enjoy you meal with your children upset.

I honestly think management will ask the parents to keep the children quiet or remove them.

It's the people with no children who will return on a regular basis and these are the customers management want.

If a restaurant refused me because I had kids i would never ever return. This has never happened to me in ireland. As for 'removing me' because a child is upset.....yeah, lovely thought, thanks.

Next time I am going into a restaurant with my 6 month old, I will remember to survey her in advance on whether she is going to 'behave herself'. Thanks for the tip, and sorry for the sarcasm.

I'd say 8 times out of ten the kids are very well behaved for the first 45 minutes at least. Generally if they are antsy, and this usually only happens when we are waiting an age for the food, then i'll bring them out for a run around.

As for restaurants turning away business because your custom is better than mine.....i don't think they can afford to be fussy, plus because i don't get out often, maybe i will spend more than you do when I am there. Most of the restuarants we go to, we would be regulars at and the staff know us well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

If you can't control your kids go to mcDonalds.

Well you could get the exact same attitude thrown back in your face if your nextdoor neighbors started playing loud music after midnight. Whats that? Kids can't sleep? Don't give a sh!t, not my problem you have kids. Im having a party. The louder the better.

Well you could get the exact same attitude thrown back in your face if your nextdoor neighbors started playing loud music after midnight. Whats that? Kids can't sleep? Don't give a sh!t, not my problem you have kids. Im having a party. The louder the better.

Well look at this way.....my neighbours do have a party five or six times each summer that goes on all night. i don't complain, i don't mind at all.

I bring my kids to a restaurant now and again, maybe once a month, now and again when we are out they'll start screaming...

Its give and take, in society, in all matters......i don't expect the world to revolve around me and i don't accept that attitude from others.

As for McDonalds, because i care about my kids I would never encourage them to eat muck, mo matter how family friendly it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

FFS, how can you even compare the two??? Idiotic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Again (as a parent of young kids) I'd be defo on your side on this one.....thats life, they live in an apartmen block what do they expect. If you were partying til 3am every night that would be different. But hoovering....

The parent blaming you because their kid couln't sleep is a bit like the person in the restaurant saying they couldn't enjoy themselves because of the screaming kid.

Yeah, that's what I said. "This is an apartment block, noise is to be expected.". It's not like I make noise late at night or anything, or that I was being inconsiderate. I was just trying to clean! And I've never went knocking on her door and said, "Your kids are annoying me beyond belief." even though most of the time, they are.

I don't particularly mind children making noise. It's just when it's inappropriate that it bothers me - when they are misbehaving and the parent makes no effort to correct them. A crying baby, fair enough, but I do think a child over three or four years old is out of line if it's screaming its head off in a restaurant or whatever.

• Advertisement

Novella wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I said. "This is an apartment block, noise is to be expected.". It's not like I make noise late at night or anything, or that I was being inconsiderate. I was just trying to clean! And I've never went knocking on her door and said, "Your kids are annoying me beyond belief." even though most of the time, they are.

I don't particularly mind children making noise. It's just when it's inappropriate that it bothers me - when they are misbehaving and the parent makes no effort to correct them. A crying baby, fair enough, but I do think a child over three or four years old is out of line if it's screaming its head off in a restaurant or whatever.

I'd agree with that, but the original post was on babies.

Advertisement