Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent babies gagged/sedated in public?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

TBH, my biggest gripe is with the parents.

Aah, then why laugh in triumph at a childs death?

There is reasonable debate and then there's views so utterly vile, all reasonable debate goes out the window.

Your mother may have kept you quiet as a child, but you've grown into an extremely angry and intolerant adult, judging by those comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I hate when I'm shopping and a woman with a screaming baby is beside me..I don't mind if the woman looks as if she's trying to calm the child but I can't bear to see a sobbing baby being ignored. The worst case I've seen was on a bus last year. A woman...who likely was the child's granny was sitting there while a baby of about a year was in a buggy screaming its little head off. The woman totally ignored the poor wee thing. The wee lad eventually vomited all over the place with the stress of it. I was nearly in tears by the time I got off at my stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Aah, then why laugh in triumph at a childs death?

There is reasonable debate and then there's views so utterly vile, all reasonable debate goes out the window.

Your mother may have kept you quiet as a child, but you've grown into an extremely angry and intolerant adult, judging by those comments.

Welcome to the internet.

And laugh in triumph because I am a horribly maladjusted young man. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And laugh in triumph because I am a horribly maladjusted young man. :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding, whacking a small child is rarely going to stop them screaming: more the opposite.

stovelid wrote: »
    Notwithstanding, whacking a small child is rarely going to stop them screaming: more the opposite.

Whacking and a clip around the ear are two totally different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I bloody hate babies, little crying bastards. Why take them to a bloody resteraunt, then ignore them when they cry?

Last time I was out for a meal with the family a baby was crying for the fist ten mins of the meal, everyone was starting to get pissed, so I went over to the parents and asked them to do something to stop the child wrecking everyones evening, she shut the kid up.

Whacking and a clip around the ear are two totally different things.

Well if it's soft enough not to actually qualify as a blow, how would it have the instant disciplinary effect you suggest?

Not against gentle smacking myself, but it's hardly useful if you want to stop a child crying in public as soon as possible. From my experience you have to just let a tantrum take its course. The people that advocate placating and giving in to tantrums can hardly be suggesting that giving kids what they want because they're throwing a public wobbly are being 'good parents'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Where possible, I believe people - parents, minders, teenagers, senior citizens, students, etc. - should try to make things as pleasant as possible for others.
    What constitutes 'others' exactly? I wasn't aware that there was a certain group of people who can be lesd mindful of those around them in their behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

amdublin wrote: »
    But it goes through my head??

Well, that sucks, but how often do you run into noisy babies? I can't imagine its very often. Babies crying is just one of those things we have to deal with. Having said that, I have rarely encountered many crying babies, and can't imagine many people do all that often. As I said before, as long as a parent is making an effort to console, the child, then I have no issues with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

stovelid wrote: »
    wtf?

Its an insult for people who have children. Ironic in a thread where people are complaining about babies, and to a lesser extent children. I would consider hurling such insults are being pretty childish imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

smack babies

Star Bingo wrote: »
    smack babies

crack babies are cooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

crack babies are cooler.

fine. you crack em i'll smack em :pac: ..no.

wes wrote: »
    Its an insult for people who have children. .

I know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_%28slang%29

Would similar epithets such as faggot or homo be as tolerated on here, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh :eek:

Don't bother reporting it as I did yesterday and it was ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If i had have read this thread two years ago before my young fella came along i'd be agreeing with the anti-baby brigade big time, I'ts not your fault but you people have no idea how much your perspective changes when you have a baby of your own you'll understand alot more what its like to be the parent of that screaming baby. Spoiled brats i cant stand fair enough thats one thing my child will never become but babys cant talk and tell you whats wrong they cry end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

baraca wrote: »
    If i had have read this thread two years ago before my young fella came along i'd be agreeing with the anti-baby brigade big time, I'ts not your fault but you people have no idea how much your perspective changes when you have a baby of your own you'll understand alot more what its like to be the parent of that screaming baby. Spoiled brats i cant stand fair enough thats one thing my child will never become but babys cant talk and tell you whats wrong they cry end of.

Yes but it's unfair to subject random members of the public to that crying and ruin their meal/flight/trip/etc end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

macquarie wrote: »
    Yes but it's unfair to subject random members of the public to that crying and ruin their meal/flight/trip/etc end of.

Sher i have to listen to idiots bull****t!n on about the great night they just had or their work christmas party or some other sh!t don't i? it's a public place full of the public which unfortunately for your poor soul includes babies, and they cry. Alot.

There's alot more important things in the world to be getting worked up over. You were that screaming baby one day as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Im completely removing myself from this discussion because the pro- very small babies shouldn't be in restaurants (which i agree with) contribution has turned a bit nasty/derogatory.

Breeders? Thats a bit rough. If folks want to have kids theres nothing wrong with that. Thats nature. As long as their able to be half decent parents. That means if your a penniless scummer with no intention of ever working or unable to even look after yourself because your essentially a big child, you shouldn't have kids.

Also the talk of smacking & gagging babies is fcuking stupid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement