Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Change router's IP address

• 30-12-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I have broadband with UPC and there is one website I cannot acess. I have been doing some research and it seems my IP address has been blacklisted by a routing company.

It seems I had some malware in my computer which was sending SPAM. Now I have a nice antivirus and I have cleaned my PC. The problem is that this company doesn't want to unblock my IP address. They have told me that if I just simply change my router's IP address the problem will be solved.

My router is a CISCO EPC2425. I have contacted UPC and they have told me that the only thing I can do is resetting the router. I have done that hundreds of times (even leaving it off for three days) but the IP address remains the same.

Any ideas?
    Many thanks!
    Sergio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

usually (but as you've found out, not always) leaving it off for a little while is enough to change the IP address on the router.

as far as I am aware, unless UPC are willing to reset it at their end there isn't a huge amount you can do aside from keeping turning it off when you're not using it and trying again.

you could try using a free online proxy service to mask your true IP address, but i'm pretty sure we're not allowed to talk about how to do that openly on the forum, so i can't say any more than that, sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sergio7

Thanks a lot. Also I forgot to mention that from UPC they advised me to check whether the IP address is static or dynamic from the router menu.

I know how to access the router menu, but I don't know how to find that opcion.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or where can I find a manual for the Cisco router EPC2425?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UPC are talking about the wrong thing. You can only effect changes to the LAN side of the router, not the WAN side where the problem lies. You cannot change the modem properties, as these are controlled by UPC.

Leave the modem off for as long as you can, and it might change. Other than that, use a proxy to access that particular website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

UPC assigns your IP address, not you. I'm unsure of the lease length of the address. Log your address and power down your modem for 2 or 3 hours - see if they re-assign you a new address from the pool. Although in my experience, you could hold the same address for a month or two as the lease length's from cable modem providers are traditionally much longer than DSL providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm unsure of the lease length of the address.
    It used to be of the order of a couple of days.

The problem with any such approach on the UPC network is that IP address turnover is quite low. A lot (if not most) people would leave their modem on all the time, so a "new" IP address will normally only be assigned to anyone plugging in a new modem or powering on their own modem after a long time off.

When you turn off your modem and power it back on, it will usually ask the DHCP server to renew the previous IP address which it had, regardless of how long ago the lease expired (this is fairly typical in most networks afair). So unless your old IP address has been assigned to someone else (which doesn't happen very often, because not many others are asking for addresses), then you will almost always be given the same address by the DHCP server.

There are reset functions on the UPC modem (or should be), but I don't know if these will erase IP information.

The extreme solution is to plug your modem into a different subnet on the UPC network (say a friend/family member on the other side of the city), which should theoretically then mean that you get a new IP when you plug it back into your point at home. Depends on how UPC's network is set up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Your not addressing the source of the issue... the blacklisters.
    Even if you managed to change your ip your only passing the problem you created by having shoddy security on your comp to some other person who gets your ip.

You need to get back on to the blacklisters and have the ip unlisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Posts were moved from this thread and into the UPC Modem Sticky thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement