Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners Group ... Running

• 30-12-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I want to get out and start running and wonder if there is anyone out there who wants to start running and a beginner too. Ultimately would love to do the mini marathon but small steps for now. I live in Lucan and think if there was a few of us together we could all motivate each other along. Sat or Sunday's good for me. Was in Marley Park and there were so many people out running I wanted to get going .....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from TLL, feel you may get a better response here OP.

Maple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Athletics, Running, Triathlon forum could also be a good place to check : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

apsley wrote: »
    I want to get out and start running and wonder if there is anyone out there who wants to start running and a beginner too. Ultimately would love to do the mini marathon but small steps for now. I live in Lucan and think if there was a few of us together we could all motivate each other along. Sat or Sunday's good for me. Was in Marley Park and there were so many people out running I wanted to get going .....

apsley - i live in lucan.... i'll join u....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP where are you planning on running in Lucan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 apsley

OP where are you planning on running in Lucan?

Hi - not sure yet, where would you recommend?

• Advertisement

Hi - not sure yet, where would you recommend?

I'm not too familiar with the area (although I live there over 2 years now!!), but there are always runners on the Fonthill Road & around the new roads that head towards the train station, presumably because of the wide and fairly even footpaths.

Also there is St Catherine's Park that is quite big too. A good option for Saturdays and in daylight. There are lots of runners, walkers there too. Would you be on for joining us?

Also there is St Catherine's Park that is quite big too. A good option for Saturdays and in daylight. There are lots of runners, walkers there too. Would you be on for joining us?

hhhmmm that's a good bit from me, and I don't drive, so I'll have to think about it.
    :)

hhhmmm that's a good bit from me, and I don't drive, so I'll have to think about it.

Hey I drive and dont mind where at all ... if somewhere near you is easier than thats great. ... The people is important not the location :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This is brilliant. :) If you're looking to get a run together try mapmyrun.com. Also worth a look if you're starting out is the couch to 5k program. c25k.com.

Good luck. Hope this works out for you. :)

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    This is brilliant. :) If you're looking to get a run together try mapmyrun.com. Also worth a look if you're starting out is the couch to 5k program. c25k.com.

I actually completed c25k in October there, granted I also fell off the wagon too, so need to go back to it. First run is today :)

OP drop me a pm and we can have a chat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Would recommed going to Lucan Harriers running club, they are great up there with members of all abilities, so there will also be someone at your level. Now is a good time to join, also lots of new members aiming for the mini marathon too. They meet opposite Superquinn on Tuesday & Thursday at 7pm and some meet up on Sat also.

I found being part of club is a way great to improve and stick with it, the motivation is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Khannie wrote: »

I prefer www.gmaps-pedometer.com.
    Works with Googlemaps and OSM.

Good luck folks.

Birdsong wrote: »
    Would recommed going to Lucan Harriers running club, they are great up there with members of all abilities, so there will also be someone at your level. Now is a good time to join, also lots of new members aiming for the mini marathon too. They meet opposite Superquinn on Tuesday & Thursday at 7pm and some meet up on Sat also.

I found being part of club is a way great to improve and stick with it, the motivation is good.
    I've never been able to join a group cos I've a full time job and college 4 nights a week. I just can't commit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

sorry to hijack the thread but anyone near phoenix park want to do something similar??

I live across the river near heuston station and need to get fit and could do with some company to keep me motivated.

Anyone??

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

frag420 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack the thread but anyone near phoenix park want to do something similar??

I live across the river near heuston station and need to get fit and could do with some company to keep me motivated.

Anyone??

frAg

I'd be interested. All this Christmas messing has left me all lazy and unmotivated. :/

kanedaly60 wrote: »
    I'd be interested. All this Christmas messing has left me all lazy and unmotivated. :/

Nice one. Got my runners today and hope to get out for first run next sunday,Tue & Thur to start with if your up for it.

Hopefully we may have a few more joining us?

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toyoung

Hi

I would love to meet up on Sunday in Phoniex park. I am new to running so very slow.

@Kanedaly & Toyoung

I had my first run last night. Will be going out again wed and fri eve if yeither of you would like to join me. I have the c25k programme on the mp3 which is handy.

PM if interested,

frAg

Thanks for all the great advice and help everyone. There is so much help and expertise about ... all you need to do is ask !

Heading into town on Saturday to get the shoes sorted first.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement