Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra water thread

Options
  • 30-12-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Water is now back in my Knocknacarra estate after an outage of about 25 hours.

City council says that there will be sporadic outages due to shortage of water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ours back too around 10am on West Dist Road, after being out just less than 24hours.

Although I'm preserving as much as possible, as it'll go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

Water is now back in my Knocknacarra estate after an outage of about 25 hours.

It's just gone off again in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Hi all, i was just wondering if anywhere still has absolutely no water at all in the galway city area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MJMLee

brembo26 wrote: »
    Hi all, i was just wondering if anywhere still has absolutely no water at all in the galway city area?

Yes - Fort Lorenzo - 9 days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Right like i said in another thread last night I know there is a group of people from a local organisation going around with a tanker of water for filling buckets and big bottles etc... ill pass that word on that fort lorenzo is gone. chances are it will be around 8ish in the evening if ye want to keep an eye out.

Any other estates that are effected please post them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Our water situation is not too bad but a bit all over the place.. One of the upstairs toilets not flushing, but all of the other toilets are.. No water coming from one tap, but fine from all the others. Then for the last hour, only hot water taps working.. Anyone else having problems flushing toilets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Plasticpants

Our water situation is not too bad but a bit all over the place.. One of the upstairs toilets not flushing, but all of the other toilets are.. No water coming from one tap, but fine from all the others. Then for the last hour, only hot water taps working.. Anyone else having problems flushing toilets?
    Yeah we have cold water in the kitchen but nowhere else in house and none of the toilets flushing! Still have water in hot taps but I assume that's from the tank?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah we have cold water in the kitchen but nowhere else in house and none of the toilets flushing! Still have water in hot taps but I assume that's from the tank?

It's either the pressure being too low to fill the attic tank or you might have an air lock.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's either the pressure being too low to fill the attic tank or you might have an air lock.
    Flip, really? It just stopped Thursday last week had no probs till then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Have you checked your attic tank? If it's full it's an airlock in the system and easy enough to resolve. I usually try turning on the bath tap and clamping my palm over it for a minute. It can work. Otherwise you can connect your mains tap to a cold tap using a hose and send water back up the pipe to clear the lock. Do a search for the correct method.

If the tank is empty it's more likely a pressure problem.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Have you checked your attic tank? If it's full it's an airlock in the system and easy enough to resolve. I usually try turning on the bath tap and clamping my palm over it for a minute. It can work. Otherwise you can connect your mains tap to a cold tap using a hose and send water back up the pipe to clear the lock. Do a search for the correct method.

If the tank is empty it's more likely a pressure problem.
    Cheers for that will have a gander after work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

MJMLee wrote: »
    Yes - Fort Lorenzo - 9 days now.

By now it's 11 days now without a drop of water :( Meanwhile the city council is boasting in the Galway Independent about most of the city having their water back. I wonder what puts us at the bottom of the queue.

A new estate like this should really have its water lines protected against the cold anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MJMLee

By now it's 11 days now without a drop of water :( Meanwhile the city council is boasting in the Galway Independent about most of the city having their water back. I wonder what puts us at the bottom of the queue.

A new estate like this should really have its water lines protected against the cold anyway.

Yes - it's day 11 of the saga. I just phoned City Hall to be told that they are aware of the problem. It has been reported to them a few times already. They are working on it (?) but the water levels in the reservoirs are still critically low. I reported that water returned yesterday at 10am for 10 minutes with strong pressure. Fort Lorenzo isn't really a new estate - our house was built in the mid nineties, other parts date back to the late eighties I believe. I think that the issue is water pressure rather than a specific leak.

MJMLee wrote: »
    Yes - it's day 11 of the saga. I just phoned City Hall to be told that they are aware of the problem. It has been reported to them a few times already. They are working on it (?) but the water levels in the reservoirs are still critically low. I reported that water returned yesterday at 10am for 10 minutes with strong pressure. Fort Lorenzo isn't really a new estate - our house was built in the mid nineties, other parts date back to the late eighties I believe. I think that the issue is water pressure rather than a specific leak.

Thanks for the information! I haven't called them myself, but it's good to know that they are aware. I didn't really know who to call and I was on holidays for a week.

I don't think it came back for us yesterday, because our storage tank didn't fill up at all and the mains tap seems to be totally dry too, I haven't even heard air escape when I opened it. But I didn't try it around that time.

I still think the nineties is fairly new, I just meant all the plumbing should have been done to modern standards as opposed to the old town where parts could be 50 years old. But you're right, it could be a pressure problem, I think we're on one of the highest hills in the whole area.

Just called the council to ask about an update, they said that they just fixed a major problem this morning in Fort Lorenzo and that the water should be coming back now. They said it might be low pressure until it builds up to full strength.

I hope this includes our apartment block! I'm not home but will update here if I hear any news.

Turned out we still don't have any water at all :( I was hoping it was fixed when they said lots of work was done. But still no change. Getting ready for day 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay, Over in Ballybrit/Ballybane/Old monivea area and water totally gone here in the last few hours.
    Get the feeling theres been a major burst again or was rationing meant to happen tonight.

kippy wrote: »
    Okay, Over in Ballybrit/Ballybane/Old monivea area and water totally gone here in the last few hours.
    Get the feeling theres been a major burst again or was rationing meant to happen tonight.

According to the Galway City Council website it was indeed a scheduled water restriction:

Water supply and pressure is now gradually building on the west side of the city. However, there are still a number of areas continuing to experience supply difficulties, particularly in the east side of the city such as Ballybane and Ballybrit.
    As a result water restrictions will take place in areas supplied by the Briarhill Reservoir between the hours of 10pm, Thursday 06/01/11, and 7am, Friday 07/01/2011.
    This is necessary to allow for water levels to rise in the Ballybane reservoir so that the water supply can be restored to the east side of the city.

Edit: By the way, I just heard we have a bit of water coming out of the mains tap in Fort Lorenzo, but not enough to make it up to the attic tank unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I live in an estate on higher ground in Knocknacarra. Water has been turned off at least 50% of the time all weekend and is gone again since last night and not back this morning. It's a bit of a lottery at this stage when it's going to be on/off as there's no regular pattern to it...are others experiencing the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Lower ground knocnacarra here, and water's been back 100% for about a week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Thanks Miss Informed. I called the council to see if they had an update and they did not seem to be aware that it was turned off in my location. Asked if it was low pressure and if my neighbours had water....so told her I had nothing out of my mains and that yes my neighbours were also out as I had checked!

I can understand a delay because of the leaks and a backlog of problems post Christmas but it's now been on and off for a week since the return to normal working hours for the council.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement