Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, on the subject of The Darkness Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 30-12-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Listening to 'Permission To Land' for perhaps the first time in 5 years, and wondering what people thinking of The Darkness looking back.

It was obvious their heavy AC/DC and Thin Lizzy "inspiration" made them an overnight success, and although they wrote their own music, their music sounded so much like that of a tribute act that they burned the candle at both ends.

I seen these guys live three times, and I know they played in Ireland four times, including a headline spot at 'Oxegen 2004' substituting for David Bowie of all people

Still, fun songs, which didn't really have the same impact on the second album. Justin Hawkin's had apparently become disillusioned with the band's output by the time the second album was released (they'd already lost a founding member at this point) and even if he hadn't of been fired due to cocaine addiction it's unlikely Stone God's and Hot Leg wouldn't have been formed

A band who could do a stadium rock show in a pub, and who wrote a song about genital warts and virtually nobody got the joke, coming off the dole to support Def Leppard in 2002 led to bigger and better things....or did it? More importantly, did they help bridge the gap between Rock and mainstream (supporting Robbie Williams, getting a Christmas single to chart without an Internet campaign and being played by Joe Whiley on BBC Radio 1) or did they simply embarrass the genre as a stereotype

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

including a headline spot at 'Oxegen 2004' substituting for David Bowie of all people

I remember that for the absolute murder of Street Spirit, horrible horrible attempt :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I thought they were deadly in that they had fun, they made great songs, obviously had more than a bit of talent and did something to bring people back to listening to older music, and didn't take themselves too seriously.

Some of their songs weren't fantastic but they were a very nice change of pace at the time. I wouldn't mind seeing them or that style of music make a comeback again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Great live band, had great songs and talent but unfortunately because they didn't take themselves too seriously, noone else did either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Bald is an absolutely classic tune!!!!! Too funny:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

This band made me want to vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Permission to Land is a good album, haven't listened to it in ages but it was good. Great, fun songs. I'll have to root it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Permission to Land is a great album. The second one is ****. I loved them because they had fun and they knew how to rock at the same time. Most of all they pissed off the serious Coldplay loving muso types who just didn't get the joke. They were only having a laugh but also put out some decent rock tunes. There is no need to take music so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Another fan of Permission to Land here. It was strange how it all seemed to go pear-shaped after the second album. It was great that they didn't take themselves seriously, as it has been pointed out, but it all just seemed tired by One Way Ticket to Hell.

Their gig in Vicar Street whatever year they played there was fantastic... such a contrast with that abysmal Oxegen headline slot. I know it was because Bowie pulled out, but choosing to headline such a big festival on the back of one album resulted in brutal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I remember putting on Permission to Land on a Saturday in late August 2003, it was a hot and sunny day and I was blown away. Great year too. 2nd album was pretty sh1t although Hazel Eyes wasn't bad. I can't say I like anything recent though, Stone Gods are very stuffy while Hot Leg is ok but apparenty dissolved now, and at the time they were a bit lightweight. I think they should reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Another fan here.

Permission to Land is a fantastic album. I bought it in the summer of '03 and listened to it constantly in the car, driving around London. "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was on the radio a lot and there seemed to be a real buzz about the band.

The fact that they irritated the really earnest, serious music types just made them more enjoyable. Music doesn't have to be all socially conscious or experimental to be good. "Black Shuck....that dog don't give a fcuk":)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I must be one of the few who actually thinks their second album isn't all that bad! There are a few good songs on it.

I saw them live 3 times myself including the Vicar Street gig that was mentioned earlier and was brilliant. The first time I saw them was supporting Metallica where they went down better than I expected them to be. I didn't think Metallica fans would be so forgiving to a man wearing a leopard skin jump suit!

You could tell their hearts weren't in it at their gig in the half empty Point on their second album tour, although Justin being carried above the audience in some sort of plastic breasts was quite amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The first time I saw them was supporting Metallica where they went down better than I expected them to be. I didn't think Metallica fans would be so forgiving to a man wearing a leopard skin jump suit!

I remember I couldn't get tickets for Vicar St as it sold out that fast on the basis of their opening slot with Metallica. Enjoyed that set from them probably more than anything I heard or seen from them afterwards. Still can't remember what the Thin Lizzy cover they played that day was.
    You could tell their hearts weren't in it at their gig in the half empty Point on their second album tour, although Justin being carried above the audience in some sort of plastic breasts was quite amusing

Poor guys. I remember that gig and the noticeable lack of an audience was about as funny as when the support band kicked an amp onto the head of a security guard. Thankfully, he was unharmed, but 'The Ark' later went on to represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest (while Hawkins failed to even make the Eurovision) and that says everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

TBH I thought they were a load of sheeite. I was at that oxegen myself for Bowie as well, how The Darkness headlined above Muse is beyond me.Such a comedown after Muse

I was actually raging that I didnt go and see Basement Jaxx in the dance tent instead of watching The Darkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Poor guys. I remember that gig and the noticeable lack of an audience was about as funny as when the support band kicked an amp onto the head of a security guard. Thankfully, he was unharmed, but 'The Ark' later went on to represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest (while Hawkins failed to even make the Eurovision) and that says everything.

Juliette and the Licks were pretty good that night though if I remember correctly. Even if she is one of those Scientologist looneys. She's a bit wired on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

I hated them when they were around, but now that I'm a bit older and mellower I realised I just hated their fans, back then it suddenly became cool to like 80's metal for some reason and it stank of trendiness.

I hated them when they were around, but now that I'm a bit older and mellower I realised I just hated their fans, back then it suddenly became cool to like 80's metal for some reason and it stank of trendiness.

Back then? It was only really 7 years ago

I actually heard one of their songs playing in the background on an episode of Eastenders tonight, they're still making performance Royalties from that and their Christmas tune lol

"Faded toy and surprise, and the gift's we despise, over mulled wine..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Im actually sitting here wearing a Darkness T Shirt - not ironically either !!. I still think Permission to Land is a gem of an album. Big riffs, monster solo's, solid backing section and tongue firmly in cheek - classic.

2nd album was over produced and ended up sounding like Queen-lite - awful pile of crap.

Their gig in Vicar St was first class - I had a massive grin on my face throughout. Pure entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

RayCon wrote: »
    Im actually sitting here wearing a Darkness T Shirt - not ironically either !!. I still think Permission to Land is a gem of an album. Big riffs, monster solo's, solid backing section and tongue firmly in cheek - classic.

2nd album was over produced and ended up sounding like Queen-lite - awful pile of crap.

Their gig in Vicar St was first class - I had a massive grin on my face throughout. Pure entertainment.
    Queen light. Best description of the second album I ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

when the darkness came along one thing stuck out for me and that was how many metal fans only listen to music thats "cool" on the metal scene and not to what they actually like. i remember puttin on a limp bizkit song one time and this guy thought it was great ...til i told him who it was, instantly it was **** and for 12 year olds. the amount of times people would say "do you like the darkness" and people wouldnt just say yes or no the answer had to be what wouldnt get them slagged, **** sake what happened to people listenin to whatever they liked and **** everyone else

Kieran81 wrote: »
    i remember puttin on a limp bizkit song one time and this guy thought it was great ...til i told him who it was, instantly it was **** and for 12 year olds.

That's such great advice, not, and is the kind of thing I tend to ignore listening too - opinion changes so much that in 20 years Trivium could be hailed with the, erm, respect Metallica get now

• Advertisement
Advertisement