Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro Four thirds V's DSLR

Options
  • 30-12-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

For quiet some time I have been wanting to buy the Cannon 500D or similar, however money is tight and I would like to consider other alternatives, the Olympus PEN EP-1 seems to be more my price range at the moment, but can the Micro 4/3 compare to the DSLR.

Some background

This would be a second Camera as I have a Samsung Point and Shoot which is handy for very basic shots, nights out, family gatherings, quick use as its always close by. So I would keep both cameras.

I travel a lot and therefore have the opportunity to take scenery photos regularly, this is both cityscape and country/mountains/lakes.

I would like to take more photos with people, as I now have 9 niece's and nephews under 9 and expanding.

Size for travel would be a distinct advantage for the Micro 4/3.

Over time I would like to build up my accessories, which Camera type would be more advantageous when considering future upgrades of the Body.

Lots to consider, thanks in advance

mayotom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think that no matter which you buy you'll be reasonably happy, at lower ISO there will be very little image quality difference between a micro four-thirds and an entry level DSLR, and the MFT should have be smaller and easier for travel.

On accessories the Canon will have more available, MFT is a new system and there aren't so many secondhand lenses or flashes available yet, one thing to remember though is because of the way the camera is made (no mirror box) with an adaptor you can fit and easily use all sorts of older lenses, it's become a big selling point for these cameras.

Both Olympus and Panasonic are concentrating on MFT now so there will be plenty of new bodies for you to upgrade to in the future if you go that way.

You could also have a look at the Sony Nex and Samgsung Nx models as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

nilhg wrote: »
    I think that no matter which you buy you'll be reasonably happy, at lower ISO there will be very little image quality difference between a micro four-thirds and an entry level DSLR, and the MFT should have be smaller and easier for travel.

On accessories the Canon will have more available, MFT is a new system and there aren't so many secondhand lenses or flashes available yet, one thing to remember though is because of the way the camera is made (no mirror box) with an adaptor you can fit and easily use all sorts of older lenses, it's become a big selling point for these cameras.

Both Olympus and Panasonic are concentrating on MFT now so there will be plenty of new bodies for you to upgrade to in the future if you go that way.

You could also have a look at the Sony Nex and Samgsung Nx models as well.

Thanks nilhg

I have been looking at the Samsung NX10, the Panasonic DMC-G10 and the Olympus E-P1, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Panasonic. The samsung is relatively limited when it comes to lenses while the G10 and E-P1 have a lot of similarities but the Panasonic is cheaper.

anybody have any thoughts on these

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i have the panasonic gf1, im still getting the hang of it but i really love how light but well built it feels and is nice and small. i have the 20mm prime lens and the other zoom lens too but i like the 20mm best, nice and sharp, the gf2 is coming out after xmas i think and is touchscreen and has slightly different lenses, but the advantage t has over the olympus pen is a pop up flash.i read a load of reviews and they all came out better than the olympus.

i cudnt decide between that or the eos550d, has a tiltshift option and slo mo on the video too, but i really wanted to go smaller , bought it from conns in dublin and they were so helpful.

oh and i was swayed by the free adobe cd's they are giving away at the moment!

Thanks

The Olympus E-PL1 comes with a Pop up Flash but it also lacks a Viewfinder

however the E-PL1 can be found for a little more than €300
    while the Panasonic GF2 is double that
    while the Samsung NX10 comes in around €360+

ahh decissions decissions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

are you going to buy online?? does that sway the decision if you can see it in a shop here before you buy it? its probably best if you can have a hold of them before you buy, you might just not like the feel of one of them.
    i had a go of one of the sony nex ones in currys and it felt cheap and plasticy it put me off.
    good luck with the decision making, it was wrecking my head deciding what to go for!

• Advertisement

are you going to buy online?? does that sway the decision if you can see it in a shop here before you buy it? its probably best if you can have a hold of them before you buy, you might just not like the feel of one of them.
    i had a go of one of the sony nex ones in currys and it felt cheap and plasticy it put me off.
    good luck with the decision making, it was wrecking my head deciding what to go for!

yeah will definitely take a look in the shops before buying, then maybe buy online or hold off for a month and pick it up in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If your into landscapes have a look at the Sony Nex series, they come with sweep panoramic feature

Advertisement